Chiang Rai things to do daytrips

Kenny202

Hi all. Heading up to Chiang Rai mid week for a few days. Just looking for a few possible things to do. Nothing to great a distance. parks, waterfalls great if anything nearby. Will be dragged to the white temple of course so no need add that to the list. Even things on the way maybe to see from Uttaradit onwards.

There was a really nice American style cafe / burger place last time I was there in the middle of the city. Forget the name but really good food. Is that still there?

Any other restaurant recco's?

Any help much appreciated

Here some Chiang-Rai tips:

• TEMPLES > The 3 special ones can be easily combined in 1 trip.

Suggest to do the White Temple first, and not arrive too late (as the tour-buses start arriving from approx. 10h30 AM on).

Actually I like the (free) gallery just outside the main premises, with the paintings from the artist who created the White temple, more than the actual temple itself.

Then you could go to the Black House, not really a temple but more an open-air museum with a large number of very nice thai-style buildings (made from black wood) stuffed with the most amazing collection of paraphernalia you will have ever seen.  The artist from the Black House seems to have an obsession with stuffed animals, and his hobby has gotten somewhat out of hand.

Then do the Blue Temple, this being a real temple with blue and gold being the main colours used.  It’s a rather modern temple and a strong mix of Hindu and Buddhism imagery.  This one really worth visiting (especially at end of afternoon, when the light starts to fade and the temple is lit).

• TEMPLES > Inside the city you can also make a nice temple-tour on foot.  Nothing WOW, but some very nice temples in the town, my favorite being Wat Phra Kaew.
  • OPEN-AIR MARKET > Every Saturday there is the huge Saturday walking street .  The whole street for more that 1 km is lined up with stands selling everything possible.
  • CAFÉ > Cat n a Cup Cafe chiang rai – my grown-up children really loved it.  You can drink or eat something there and there are approx. 20 cats that roam free through the room and come to visit you while eating/drinking.  Really nice.  Not far from Chiang Rai bus station.
  • TOURS > Coconut Tours – my son/daughter made a trekking with them and were super-enthusiastic about it.  Also gets rave reviews on the web (that’s how I found them)
  • CHIANG-RAI Night Market > Big but not too big, and very nice to spend an evening.

Thank so much for the reply. Living in Thailand 6 years last thing I want more temples. She'll be doing well if she can drag me to the white temple. I been before was something akin to Disneyland but not fun. What amazes me with Thais is that you go away and I doubt they actually absorb or enjoy or would remember anything they saw...it's just all about selfies and bragging rights on Facebook.

What about some nice natural areas...swimming, waterfalls etc.

I enjoy a trip to ChIang Rai and 3 nights enable me to cover:-

Singha Park

White Temple

Black House.

Dinner at Chivit Thamma Da

Doi Tung Royal Villa
Mae Fah Luang gardens

Hall of Inspiration

Dinner in the night market

Other comments about temples and coffee shops are equally valid, as is lunch in place of dinner ay Chivit Thamma Da.

It is not far to the golden triangle and you could do a border hop into Burma. The duty free shop seemed to enjoy favourable allowances last time I was there....

Yes definitvely Khun korn waterfall is something to do

take a comfortable pair of sneakers or hiking shoes

for the 30\40 minutes path, put a swimming suit and a towel in your bag

you can enjoy the natural swimming pool at the base of the waterfall and you

can also go into the cave just under the waterfall (Like in one of the Tintin adventures)

Every saturday night enjoy the sound and light show at the clock tower at 8 pm and 9 pm

then go to the big night bazar on Thanalai road, you can also do a stop in the

public park on the same road (On the site of the old prison).

fourre tout 402.JPG

There are vast number of really nice places to visit but many of them require some travel time.  Here are some of my favorites.

Singha Park

Choui Fong Tea Plantation

Chivit Thamma Da and nearby Blue Temple

White Temple

Wat Huai Pla Kang

Black House

Doi Tung

Doi Mae Salong

Khun Korn Waterfall

Doi Din Daeng Pottery

Mekong River

Pha Tang

Phu Chi Fa

Phu Chi Dao

Phu Chi Duen

Pha Mon

23 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Just a quickie guys. Restaurant serving westetn and thai food close to town not too expensive. CR Deli closed today

Not the most exciting culinar experience but if you

want a good choice of restaurants serving western and thai food close

to town and not too expensive you have few of them in Central Plaza festival 

One of my favorites was Black Canyon on the ground floor (Just beside Macdonald

but of course you can avoid Macdonald lol)

Be aware if you go eat at night here, most of the restaurants close early 

The Chiang Rai Condotel cafe opens about 10.30 am, serves quite good Western and Thai food. My Thai GF liked it, and she is not an easy food critic.

Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan  on the 118 is massive, and leaves the White Temple for dead. Started by the "Engineer Monk" who built the road up to Doi Suthep.

Charin Gardens has a big collection of cakes and slices for anyone with a sweet tooth. Also on the 118 , Mae Suai area.

villagefarang has given a pretty full list of the sights. While it is a full day trip, IMO Phu Chi Fa is quite awesome if you are fit enough for the walk up. Spot on the Thailand -Laos border.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:51 PM, sceadugenga said:

Khun Korn is close to town with a nice park and a short but steep hike to the actual falls.

Stop for coffee at the Canary Lodge Resort on the way.

Mate , have you walked it? I have not walked up if .. Health reasons

Archived