Woman killed, thrown out of car overturned on bypass road

webfact

Woman killed, thrown out of car overturned on bypass road

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1575189050_1-org.jpg

The car overturned on the bypass road at about 5am. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A woman died after she was thrown out of a car while it overturned on the bypass road early this morning (Dec 1), while two women escaped serious injuries as the car they were travelling in slammed into a power pole in Srisoonthorn some 20 minutes later.

Lt Col Suchat Meelumphong of the Phuket City was called to the scene of the accident on the northbound lane of the bypass road at 5am.

At the scene, police and Kusoldharm rescue workers found a black Phuket-registered Toyota Vios on its side.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-killed-thrown-out-of-car-overturned-on-bypass-road-73826.php#TVMsBUEIyaWLEgMc.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-02

33 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Is she Irish - to be sure, to be sure?

That was strong among the Irish. My family arrived in the U,S. in 1863 and my grandfather born a few weeks later. My father (1899-1979) and paternal uncles and aunts all carried rosary beads and had St. Christopher medals pinned up in their cars. I was riding in one in 1948 that overturned on a snowy road. Back seat, no seat belt of course. I can remember waking up in a frozen gas station. St. Christopher got a lot of credit for our survival. I still have that pin.

came down on the big bus to PATS recently, the lady came up the bus to make sure we were belted up, she goes back to the front, and you could hear the click clicks of belts being undone, about the norm, those of us who know, kept our belts done up

The general mindset towards seatbelts is astonishing - The same mindset and reluctance to use seatbelts in the UK existed 30-40 years or so ago, so I'm not blaming Thailand for having this mindset, but I am blaming Thai Society and Thai Enforcement for is extremely slow 'cultural shift' towards a safer mindset. 

I'm astonished at the amount of unsecured children and babies I see in cars, some of them expensive cars, some of them (seemingly) educated people - but dumb at the same time when it comes to the safety of their children. 

Each and every time I see my Thai In-laws (a couple of times per week) they arrive in their car without seatbelts on, the seatbelts are done up so they don't 'ding' but the sit on them and don't wear them !!!  I'm at a loss to explain any sense behind this. 

Yet, when we go out in my car my In-laws wear their seat-belts without being asked, ask this it what I expected from the very offset. So, they know they 'should' wear the seatbelt, but choose not to when I'm not around !!! - the mind boggles. 

Fortunately the Wife is 100% onside and is equally as critical of those who don't use their seatbelts. 

In this case (the main article) a woman tragically lost her life for the simplicity of a worn seatbelt - it's a huge shame and a damning indictment on the Thai Government that more is not done towards road safety awareness and enforcement. 

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I now drive as if Miss Daisy’s in the back, many of these types of accidents are down to speed ... although it’s taken me a while to appreciate that. A sad loss of life.

Speeds not the killer... it's the sudden stop!

2 hours ago, Mac98 said:

That was strong among the Irish. My family arrived in the U,S. in 1863 and my grandfather born a few weeks later. My father (1899-1979) and paternal uncles and aunts all carried rosary beads and had St. Christopher medals pinned up in their cars. I was riding in one in 1948 that overturned on a snowy road. Back seat, no seat belt of course. I can remember waking up in a frozen gas station. St. Christopher got a lot of credit for our survival. I still have that pin.

but of course, he had absolutely nothing to do with it, you were just lucky, thankfully. 

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

the inconvenience of using a seatbelt

i would argue dying is more inconvenient

what's wrong with these people, such easy basic concepts.

Death is one part of not wearing seat belts, but often those who survive live with lifelong injuries physically and often acquired brain injury requiring life long care.

I always tick off my in-laws when they ride with me. I make them belt up while in the back seat. 

I explained to them that it's not for their safety, but for mine. In the unlikely event that we have an accident that requires my seatbelt and airbag, I don't want any of them to be smashing me, or my wife, into our seatbelts and airbags.

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

Death is one part of not wearing seat belts, but often those who survive live with lifelong injuries physically and often acquired brain injury requiring life long care.

Thats surely not a counter argument to wearing a seatbelt ????

'Death is better than serious impairment' is a fundamentally flawed argument - by wearing a seatbelt the risk of 'life long injuries and brain injury requiring life long care' is also significantly reduced along with it the risk of almost any other injury with the exception of 'seatbelt burn' !

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

'Death is better than serious impairment' is a fundamentally flawed argument - by wearing a seatbelt the risk of 'life long injuries and brain injury requiring life long care' is also significantly reduced along with it the risk of almost any other injury with the exception of 'seatbelt burn' !

I was even remotely suggesting that, posters were merely talking death having had professional experience in EDs, I have seen the results of life long injuries (no idea how you managed to get that from my post).

Driver charged, in-car argument caused deadly accident, say police

By The Phuket News

1575274581_1-org.jpg

The driver of the car, Chalita Sutthitongtae, 40, has been charged with reckless driving causing death. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: The woman driving the Toyota Vios that overturned on the bypass road early yesterday morning – leading to her passenger being thrown out of the car as it rolled and later dying from head injuries – has been charged with reckless driving causing death.

Lt Col Suchat Meelumphong of the Phuket City Police today identified the driver as Chalita Sutthitongtae, 40.

Chalita suffered only minor injuries in the accident, but her passenger Netchanok Detaran, 42, was thrown clear of the vehicle as it rolled, leaving her lying on the road metres from the wreck.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/driver-charged-in-car-argument-caused-deadly-accident-say-police-73837.php#K18tmUgF3MzJtWj9.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-02

49 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was even remotely suggesting that, posters were merely talking death having had professional experience in EDs, I have seen the results of life long injuries (no idea how you managed to get that from my post).

OK, the lack of clarity in your initial comment left things open to interpretation, I must have got the wrong end of the stick and your implication was instead... 

'Not only is the increased potential for death a consequence of not wearing seatbelt, but so is the increased potential for life changing physical injuries including brain injuries which require life long care' 

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I now drive as if Miss Daisy’s in the back, many of these types of accidents are down to speed ... although it’s taken me a while to appreciate that. A sad loss of life.

Speed of the kind generated by a heavy right foot, or a small tablet variety ?

On 12/1/2019 at 10:34 PM, Pilotman said:

but of course, he had absolutely nothing to do with it, you were just lucky, thankfully. 

I know that. I was agreeing with one post that it is not only the Thais who believe in such charms.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:16 AM, hotchilli said:

Speeds not the killer... it's the sudden stop!

In this case it was the classic 'can't stay awake' thing.

The driver of the car told police that she fell asleep at the wheel, leading to the accident.

Driver charged, but how much, as she basically killed her passenger by not

getting the passenger to buckle up. Should be years in jail to think about how she 

got her passenger killed.  Oh I know this is Thailand, third world country.

Geezer

Archived