Phuket Opinion: Honesty dealt a crushing blow

webfact

Phuket Opinion: Honesty dealt a crushing blow

By The Phuket News

1574996957_1-org.jpg

Rescue workers recover the body of one of the seven workers crushed to death in the building collapse. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: As the dust settled on the building collapse that killed seven workers and left two more in hospital last week, the Thai bureaucracy trundled out the same old incredibly insensitive mantra – the families will be compensated, as if that were the top priority when seven people are crushed to death by a slab of concrete.

The officials involved in last week’s disaster, which at this stage appears to be Phuket’s deadliest workplace accident in decades, already had some practice just three months ago in the aftermath of the collapse at the condo construction site in Rawai that killed three Myanmar workers.

But this time some early noises were different, noticeably the assurance that compensation would be paid “even if the workers are not registered”. No further explanations have been forthcoming.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-honesty-dealt-a-crushing-blow-73804.php#iQwYBvYutWV6Twhi.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-02

An earthquake in Phuket, Pattaya and probably Chiang Mai or Bkk will probably show what happens when cowboys build buildings.

While living in Pattaya I frequently passed by a hotel under construction that was so dangerous I was surprised it stayed up. Not only would I never stay in it, but I would not even enter it in fear it would collapse.

This particular administration, and the army, are very insensitive when it comes to the common man, or the cost of lives. They just do not care. It is only about the money for them. They are in power for all the wrong reasons, so a tone deaf response is to be expected from them. They are about as useless as a fleet of submarines to the Thai people, and the foreigners who visit. 

2 hours ago, car720 said:

I got a Thai builder to build a wall for me at my restaurant.  It fell over the next day. :cheesy:

I hired a local company to do some work for me. 

A worker was building a small brick wall to house pool equipment. When he had finished he stood up, leaning on it, and it fell into a pile of rubble. 

23 hours ago, Old Croc said:
On 12/2/2019 at 7:46 AM, car720 said:

I got a Thai builder to build a wall for me at my restaurant.  It fell over the next day. :cheesy:

I hired a local company to do some work for me. 

A worker was building a small brick wall to house pool equipment. When he had finished he stood up, leaning on it, and it fell into a pile of rubble. 

Further to this, within weeks I had to demolish the replacement wall, and even the whole shoddy structure he put together. 

I hired someone else to construct a proper steel framed shed in it's place.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Further to this, within weeks I had to demolish the replacement wall, and even the whole shoddy structure he put together. 

I hired someone else to construct a proper steel framed shed in it's place.

Quality Control.  Don't you just love it?

On 12/2/2019 at 1:43 PM, legend49 said:

Who will pay the medical bills of the aliens injured ( workers). Or the dishonest Phuket hospital manager will be bleating more BS that bills are not paid.

They will be counted as more foreigners who skip without paying their hospital bills.

Archived