Video: Horror at the fair! Six children thrown from revolving ride as operator flees scene

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, anthobkk said:

Yes, I was happy to have one, cost was over 15,000 baht. However, I couldn't fully enjoy the beaches for the 2 remaining weeks of my trip

I have a very good travelinsurance for 200 euro, 6600 baht a year...covers me worldwide ALL YEAR long nonstop....loads of extra's as well....

You should be able to find a better and cheaper one i guess...and for me it's important to have one which covers longer than 6 months in row...if you want that check the policy very well.

I was at a major (not a carnavil) amusement park in the U.S. I was sitting on a ride  as the attendant was lowering the harnesses and checking that they were locked. There were two rather large people in a car that the attendant was having difficulty getting to lock. After several attempts he thought he was successful but as soon as the ride started to move, it shut itself down because their harnesses were not locked. Sounds like they could use that safety feature over here.

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Normal Thai health and safety issue. never use fairground rides here, water attractions, parascending, zip wires, white water rafting, parachuting,  bungy jumping, private flying.  The Thais have not got the first idea of how to maintain anything to any great degree.  They can't even service cars to western standard, never mind dangerous activities equipment. Forgot to add water parks to the list. 

Nearly true but not completely. Foreign PRIVATE pilots here mostly maintain their own aircraft, or have another foreigner do so, Thais only sign off on it. There is at least one foreign owned and run parachute organisation which uses only foreign standards, again with Thai sign offs.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

I have a very good travelinsurance for 200 euro, 6600 baht a year...covers me worldwide ALL YEAR long nonstop....loads of extra's as well....

You should be able to find a better and cheaper one i guess...and for me it's important to have one which covers longer than 6 months in row...if you want that check the policy very well.

Please give us name of insurance company 

A video showed six children on the right side of a "Cozy Wave" ride being thrown 6 meters to the ground as the ride completed its second rotation. 

A restraining section on the 18 seater device had come loose.

And they'll be back in business in no time. Poor kids.

I hope they have a speedy recovery without any complications caused by virus and bacteria infected hospitals.

1 hour ago, Tambs2020 said:

But it’s only just December and we need to get the mortality rate up!

its a bloody disgrace!

Not a nice post, to be honest.

Some innocent kids who only wanted to have some fun away from their mind-boggling schools shouldn't be part of your "mortality rate."

11 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

How did I end up in this pitful country? You should all be asking yourselves the same question too.

Really takes the biscuit when Thai's don't even care about injured children. Man deserves his head to be caved in.

go back to the nanny state where you come from if you're not happy here

The superstition of predestination (let alone an afterlife, reincarnation or paradise in the sky) is widespread, leading to lackadaisical attitudes towards safety, i.e., clearly the kids did something in a previous life to deserve this, the ride was just the impartial vehicle of cosmic justice. If only they had purchased better amulets.

That said, when I visit I do throw all caution to the wind and it all just works. It seems that at least with driving safety, if everyone is on board with complete chaos, it creates it own kind of safety. Like, the worse thing you can see is a westerner driving to western standards amongst the Thais. (Yes I know the gory carnage that is Thai driving, it’s just that even so I always expect it to be even worse than it is, but somehow it all just works when you get into the style of it). 

Feel sorry for the kiddos hope they heal up.

4 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Gosh what a load of pitful ( sic ) posts- the thread instead of just maybe expressing concern for the children have morphed into a discussion of tyre pressures - and sex of course. 

Pathetic 

obviously we all have concern for the children and luckily no reported deaths or grave injuries but the children/people will never be safe unless the root causes are addressed and fixed.

therefore many of the posts are directed at the root causes and thus should not diminish concern for the innocent victims.

To be fair (excuse the pun), it's not just a Thai thing. If you Google fairground accident this kind of thing happens all round the world.

Fairground rides are notorious for this kind of mishap due to poor maintenance, design etc.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The person who was operating the ride shut the machine down then just ran away without offering any help. 

Not surprising really, probably a youth from Myanmar/Cambodia with no work documents being paid 250 baht a day to operate the ride, he has no responsibility for maintenance and saw no need to stick around to take the blame!

The owner needs to do more than offer insurance pay-out!

To be fair if children are injured the sensible thing to do is to QFO with rapidity, otherwise there is a good chance that the operator is beaten up or lynched by the crowd, even if not his fault. When I was working in the automotive sector in India I asked why all the up-market buses still had drivers doors (unlike Europe) - the answer was that the driver needs to leg it after an accident for his own safety, especially if - worst case - children are injured or killed. A responsible person should report to the police immediately on getting clear of the incident; and some of them actually did! 

Archived