BANGKOK
webfact

Thai tourism: Further doom and gloom from the North

21 minutes ago, johng said:

Did you have to pay double to get in ???

No Thai girlfriend paid

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BestB said:

Its not about wanting, its about revamping entire driving license system and training.

They simply do not know road rules and do not have any training.

Driving lessons consist of driving around in a circle in an open field.

Lack of enforcement does not help either.

I often have fights with my staff when they get pulled over, no driving license, no helmet. They scream bad police, whats the problem they driving to or from work. I tell them, police did their job as they should, and they (staff) are in the wrong. All i get told is that i do not understand 

May be if fine for driving without DL was 10 000 baht instead of 500, they may think twice about driving without one. and may be if proper training was provided, instead of few thousand here and there, it will also make difference, by the way, testing is also done in cornered off zone which does not require much skills at all.

I am sure if testing was done on open road, like in most countries in the world, vast majority would be failing miserably.

Let me see if I understand all you have said:  Thai airways, Thailands national air carrier is flown by Thai national pilots and "They simply do not know road rules and do not have any training" you say?  Really?  How do they start their cars?   How is it that the Thai pilots can operate an aircraft then?

Everything in life is a choice.  I can teach you do anything, but I cannot teach you DESIRE!  

Again!  I will say it but only this last time....CHOICE/DESIRE!

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

I am, of course, talking about windows with mosquito netting 😄

One of the nice things about our village at this time of year was that you could sleep with your netted window open, hearing the buzz of the cicadas and enjoying the plant fragrances. Now when I walk down the street in the evenings, the most dominant sound is the hum of the aircons, and that's a great shame.

I don't have netted windows, air flow is restricted by at least 50% by any netting.

My windows are open from dawn until dusk.

high baht, poor safety records, expansion of air bnb.....we will never know the real; numbers. not ever.

On 12/2/2019 at 1:53 PM, tabarin said:

Nothing to do? There is plenty to do (elephants, mountains / waterfalls, national parks, karting, wake boarding, museums, zoo with a panda, cooking schools, kajaks, rafting, shooting, climbing, mountainbike tracks, big bike trails, hot springs, grand canyon waterpark, quality spa's, night markets, live music, plenty restaurants and the list goes on and on).

Rooms are not over priced as well, you can get a brand new hotel with pool from 800B a night. 
Dormitory, nice ones, can be as little as 120B a night in the old city. Single rooms with fan from 200B a night. 

It is simply that overall, exchange rates suck and Vietnam is the new hot thing, where you even get free beers at guesthouses. Hard to compete with that.
And if you look for sex tourism and the girls, it is not a good place to be (farang style). That is about the only thing to really complain about too.

No shakedowns for riding your motorbike in Vietnam unlike Chiang Mai, Pattaya, phuket etc. No fines for not having a licence and you are only stopped if you break the law, again, unlike Thailand where they stop almost every motorcycle. Chinese i met in Chiang mai  told me they had no wish to return because of traffic police shakedowns, ie no licence. 

On 12/2/2019 at 3:31 PM, Chicken George said:

Why would anyone unless they were totally blind to the facts of air pollution visit the North?

Ive found the stupid greatly outnumber the smart. For this reason there are not zero tourists in CM.

6 hours ago, donnacha said:

Everyone here closes their windows and switches on their aircons as the evening draws in.

I am looking around me: all windows are open with the closed mosquito net. Cooling down the house without aircon.

1 hour ago, Langkawee said:

Chinese i met in Chiang mai  told me they had no wish to return because of traffic police shakedowns, ie no licence

Next time you can tell the Chinese, that in China NOBODY is allowed to drive a motorbike or car without a Chinese driver license 🙂

On 12/2/2019 at 6:03 PM, Samuel Smith said:

AQI is bad 7 months of the year.  Moderate at the moment, bad at night.  correct about the cool temps 😉 

What months is it good? Perhaps we'll see a tourism boom in these months. TAT could promote it as the tourist not die season of Chiang mai 555, no gas chamber season. 

2 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Next time you can tell the Chinese, that in China NOBODY is allowed to drive a motorbike or car without a Chinese driver license 🙂

But they can in Vietnam. Vietnam wants tourists and their government is not dumb a$$. Thailand clearly does not want tourists, LOS LAND OF SHAKEDOWNS 555

On 12/2/2019 at 2:56 PM, Jimbo2014 said:

Im shocked actually.  I really thought people would flock to see the most polluted city in Asia (as it was last January).

Perhaps you haven´t realize that it´s December now, what would mean you passed Christmas.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

But they can in Vietnam. Vietnam wants tourists and their government is not dumb a$$. Thailand clearly does not want tourists, LOS LAND OF SHAKEDOWNS 555

In the bigger cities of Vietnam I have never seen tourists on rented motorbikes. And in every travel guide is written: "don´t drive in Vietnam". I would never ever do it because the traffic is crazy.