BANGKOK
webfact

Thai tourism: Further doom and gloom from the North

so i assume chinese (and others) think its ok to ride a bike with no licence, so that would mean that would invalidate any  insurance they THINK they have ? an insurers dream. * you have big accident ? sorry (he he) run along *

21 hours ago, donnacha said:

This is the wrong way to look at it. When considering exposure to any form of toxin, it is the extremes that are most dangerous. For example, drinking a bottle of whiskey over the course of a week can be fun, but downing the whole thing in one night could kill you.

Even if the year-round pollution Bangkok works out higher on average (they actually average out to about the same), Chiang Mai's more extreme days are far more dangerous.

Being exposed to one day at, say, 320 is not twice as dangerous as one day 160, it is an entirely different category of risk. People in the north, which already has among the highest levels of lung cancer in the world, are now part of an unprecedented experiment on human beings. We have no idea what the medium to long term consequences will be, but all indications suggest that they won't be good.

This discussion is in the Chiang Mai Forum. It's a fair assumption that everyone bothering to post here has first-hand familiarity with the region.

The current pollution levels, especially at night, are far from normal for this time of year. Usually, around this time, you can see the mountains clearly from my suburb but, this year, they have been blurred by pollution every day.

At night, walking around my village at this time of year, I would usually enjoy the exotic scents coming from the many splendid gardens but, this year, you can taste the smoke in every breath. Everyone here closes their windows and switches on their aircons as the evening draws in.

This is the worst I have seen it during high season in over a decade here. Last year, we did not hit these levels until around mid-January. It is already widely accepted that people with options get out of Chiang Mai between January and April. It will be a disaster for Chiang Mai tourism if that danger zone now spreads into the high season too.

I can see Doi Suthep just fine

4 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I can see Doi Suthep just fine

I can see it too but, from my suburb, it is blurred. I am noting, at the start of December, a subtle effect that I would more usually associate with mid-January. It is possible that you live in a different part of Chiang Mai, possibly closer to Doi Suthep.

19 hours ago, mercman24 said:

so i assume chinese (and others) think its ok to ride a bike with no licence, so that would mean that would invalidate any  insurance they THINK they have ? an insurers dream. * you have big accident ? sorry (he he) run along *

Difference in China and Western countries are they don't have 15 checkpoints pulling over only motorcycle riders (lowso) in a very small area as in Chiang Mai, one of the most touristic places in Thailand almost everyday --- therefore clearly fits the definition of touristic shakedown. Tourists would also have more confidence to travel to Chiang Mai if autopsies were carried out by independent coroners appointment by respective embassies rather than current use of Police Hospitals throughout Thailand. 

Edited by Langkawee

I'm in Chiang Mai just now after about a 6 year absence - I am surprised how expensive it is now. Also Thapae area and Night Bazaar etc seem very very quiet considering its December.

Most restaurants and bars seem brutally quiet - It must be tough for the owners. The reception staff in my Hotel almost jumped over the counter to hug me when I asked if I could stay longer.

I admit I don't understand all the reasons why but it is quiet.

• Thanks 1