Thais are told: Stop expecting foreigners to clear up your filthy mess!

webfact

56 minutes ago, 30la said:

For those who haven't noticed yet, in Thailand garbage bins are a huge rarity!

Not that rare ????? have to think it would have been cheaper and more practical to install bins instead of signs!

IMG-20191102-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20191102-WA0000.jpeg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am always picking up trash, and cutting the grass on the sides of our Soi

Why do I do this ? Its not because I find the tasks rewarding, as I get no thanks at all from the Thais living in the Soi. Its because I live there,and cannot abide living in a filthy environment.

If left this trash Etc would just get worse and worse. and become a health hazard.

16 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Starbucks can’t even put their plastic cup in trash, just walk away, like the HiSo, and can’t run 2 baht together 

Dont get me started,  not only are we expected to clear up what weve  bought IN|SIDE their stores  they dont even serve it us at our  frikkin tables in Starbucks, i refuse to go to any starbucks..whatever happened to service.

10 minutes ago, CGW said:

Not that rare ????? have to think it would have been cheaper and more practical to install bins instead of signs!

IMG-20191102-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20191102-WA0000.jpeg

Not  only are they rare they are also usually  hidden for the ironic  reason "not  look beautiful"  whereas  loads of krap on the floor  is a-ok

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you seen all the news recently??? with large printed banners, an *obstinacy of Immigration officers pointing and grinning mindlessly at said banner, highlighting how their biometrics caught a 143 day overstayer, Thailand is now more safe !!!

Yes, that is great. That´s the way to go. Hopefully the banners are large enough to make people understand.

4 minutes ago, Chazar said:

I  understand  alright.............stupidity personified

So, in your opinion an authority that doesn´t want or condone that people from other countries overstay their visas and permissions to stay is stupidity personified.

Ok, then you did not understand.

On the other hand, that´s just another filthy mess. Here it´s garbage that up for discussion. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Definitely agree there...  out shopping yesterday we 'nipped' into McDonalds for the first time in a long time...

After ordering our food we looked around, no tables to sit at, all were full of other peoples waste, boxes, trays, empty drinks cartons, left over food - People had just got up and walked off. 

I went upstairs to find a table, it was worse, food everywhere, sauces spread on the tables along with the litter. 

I'm talking about 20-30 free tables - none possible to occupy because of the mess. 

I had to ask the staff to clear up the tables for my Wife Son and I... 

Combined issue here - Customers too lazy to clean up after themselves, staff too lazy to clean up after the customers.

The repeated theme in all of these issues is Pure absolute Laziness.... The 'Couldn't give a flook' mindset so widely spread through the general population is sometimes astonishing - it really is a shame. 

Too lazy to walk ten feet. But have seen the same at a McDonald's on Koh Samui. A certain nationality i won,t mention here often takes over the front of the shop. It must remind them of Gaza and those damn people who want their land back. Garbage they toss everywhere and expect the shops slaves to clean up after them. So many that occupy the front no one is able to get in or out until the occupiers decide to leave. These are NOT Thais.

Well the main problem that thais are not educated well, neither from their parents nore school or any other institution as it is genetic !!!

The basic of all:  toooooo lazy for anything, ok not for waiting things easy and not care!

14 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

50 m is far to much to walk. Lets take the motorbike.

This is true. Bar next to where I used to live. 50m or less to bin & girls did take motorcycle to dump the trash.

I go to beach nearly every day. Quite common to see plenty of food trash not more than 12 feet from the bin.

"Don't expect civic minded foreigners to clear up after you."

Perhaps he should explain what "clean up" means? It's something loso people do, along lines of changing light bulbs.

At times I see folks at the beach getting up to leave without taking trash to bin. I go over and "remind" them to take their garbage. I must have a death wish or something like that

2 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

At many fast food joints, I have seen endless Thais leave the table trashed, with the tray station right next to them 

There are staff employed to do that job.

Why put them out of work?

Next you'll be wanting the diners to clear the table and wash the dishes in restaurants and bars.

Stayed in a small village in Northern Thailand.  Garbage cans were provided all around...Thais would walk right by the can and throw their food and drink garbage on the ground...

When asked why, "we have always done it this way"...was the reply...Thailand!

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

Thats exactly what I  do, its their  job to serve me i dont expect to have to do the dishes afterwards, I refuse to clear up INSIDE their stores, almost as  daft as that food chain where you pay to  cook your food

It's not about "them". It's more a courtesy to other patrons who need a place to sit. 

"They" are happy you don't clean up. It's job security for "them". But, "they" often can't keep up with the pigs leaving the trough. 

I don't think Thais are any better or worst than westerners , the problem is a cultural one, and cultures evolve or sometimes devolve.  That's why the same Thais who would act like that in Thailand,  when they go to the west act different.

The problem is called the broken glass syndrome. 

In the South Bronx in the seventies and early eighties there were a lot of abandoned buildings with every window broken. NY city implemented a  program where they just covered every window with pictures of nice  windows with flower pots etc.  As it turned out kid would see broken windows and would see it as a permission to break all the rest. 

Same thing happens people see garbage everywhere, they see it a permission for them to also throw their garbage.  No one wants to be the first to throw garbage at a clean floor.

The fix is easy. First apply an effort to clean, and then as it was done in this article, shame people for doing it.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There are staff employed to do that job.

Why put them out of work?

Fast food restaurants are, by design, not "full service" restaurants. 

The staff is usually employed to do many jobs. 

Most are usually good at clearing tables. However, there are times when the staff is occupied getting food to the customers, rather than clearing tables. During these times is when it would be really nice if one might clear the table themselves. 

I live in Bangkok and see the police only following foreigners around waiting for us to litter so we can be ticketed and fined. What's worse is the police completely ignore motorbikes riding on the footpath, but God forbid you get caught vaping!!! You can draw your own conclusions of what and why things are like they are.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

So, in your opinion an authority that doesn´t want or condone that people from other countries overstay their visas and permissions to stay is stupidity personified.

Ok, then you did not understand.

On the other hand, that´s just another filthy mess. Here it´s garbage that up for discussion. 

Maybe it's you who doesn't understand, because you refer to overstayers as (human) garbage, don't you?

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

That's because they expect someone else to do it for them but if rubbish bins are placed close to the tables maybe just maybe people would use them . LOL TIT .

It would make no difference. It's deeply embedded into the culture they are so proud of. Just yesterday as we overtook a motorcycle and sidecar the passenger tossed a bag of rubbish into the ditch at the side of the road. You have to remember that many Thais are very primitive and know no better. My wife blames it on low education. I blame it on poor parenting and no-one accepting personal responsibility, which is prevalent throughout Thai society.

39 minutes ago, Redline said:

Lazy, dirty, and little respect for others or the environment.  Most will not wash their hands all day either ???? I will say, most of the toilets are pretty clean 

I disagree. I find most Thai are very clean in their personal washing. 

Archived