BANGKOK
Tj12

Do I even need to get divorced?

Hi all, I searched extensively but I can't seem to find an answer. 

I married a Thai women last year and filed an I-130 to bring my spouse over to the US. 

Since I filed the paperwork, I have visited her a few times in Thailand and it is just not the same as when we were together and I was living there last year. The paperwork has been "Received" for 11 months with no further action from USCIS. 

She seems unhappy, posts our business all over social media if the smallest thing makes her mad, makes me practically beg and apologize for not calling her; I came to the conclusion enough is enough and don't want to be with her. 

At this point we don't even talk on the phone anymore. Over text on Line we both agreed to part ways. I don't want to travel back to Thailand (expensive) to get a divorce (if she even shows up to the Amphur) 

If I meet somebody else and want to get married in the future in the United States (I am still in my 20s!), do I have to worry about being married in Thailand? 

Can I just cancel the USCIS application and call it a day? 

I am tempted to just block her and move on with my life for many reasons not outlined above. 

Weird situation, any advice would be great. 

Thank you very much! 

Edited by Tj12
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Tj12 said:

Weird situation, any advice would be great. 

if you are married i would not procrastinate. 

good luck with the negotiations.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I divorced my thaiwife 4 year ago.First we get divorced ligally in norway,and after we did the same in thailand.No problem to do it the legal way.

• Like 1

You are aware Thailand is a joint property state so any earnings are considered half hers during the marriage?  As said you would not be able to marry again and could have serious legal/financial issues come up so expect much better to get that divorce now.

If you have legally married in Thailand and if you want the option to marry in the future in any other country you need to get this legally over with as soon as possible.  As one poster said she is  entitled to one half of your earnings during the marriage.  She may not know this but it also may be brought to her attention later if the marriage is allowed to continue.  Every month it is allowed to continue just increases the amount she could claim as hers.  Left as it is, this could really come back to bite you in the butt big time in your future. 

• Like 1

If you were legally married in Thailand, but are in the USA, you may be able to do the divorce from the USA.  You'll need an attorney, and they will get papers served in Thailand.  If she signs and returns them, that's all it takes.    It *may* also be that if she refuses to sign, you can still get a judge to sign off on dissolution as long as you can prove she was served.  Price of attorney vs. price of flights, time spent, etc. is probably about the same. 

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You are aware Thailand is a joint property state so any earnings are considered half hers during the marriage?  As said you would not be able to marry again and could have serious legal/financial issues come up so expect much better to get that divorce now.

Also half the debts that she may be racking up on your behalf.

• Like 2

Just walk away no one will ever know you were married except you and her turn the page and never look back so all you Gotta do

It says right on the bottom of that 130 form it says on that form it can take up to 999 days to process and I brought people over to USA from Vietnam it took more than 999 days and yes you can just send into INS tell him to cancel the application no problem

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Really? I never heard this before but what do I know. If that's the case she could emerge later in order to recover her share of his earnings. That's a scary thought.

In UK ,any will you may have had becomes invalid upon marriage,so amongst other things you’ll have to potentially deal with that . This is the sort of thing that may well bite you in the @r#e much later in life. Yiu will be a bigamist should you ever remarry without a divorce. Criminal offence.

16 hours ago, Monomial said:

If you legally married her in Thailand, which means you went to the ampur and filed the paperwork, then you are legally married in the US as well, even if you never tell the USA. If you ever get married again without legally divorcing your spouse, then even if you can hide it from everyone, you will be committing bigamy which is a criminal offense in the USA. It just isn't worth it.

Simplest and cheapest way is to hop on a plane and come back to Thailand. Pay your ex whatever is necessary to attend and sign the divorce papers. If you want to divorce overseas, you will need to do it according to the laws of the country you are in, and it will almost certainly be more difficult and costly than a flight to Thailand.

If you never legally married her in Thailand, then you can simply walk away. But it sounds like you did it legally if you filed an I-130. She wouldn't have been related to you otherwise.

You do have to register a thai marriage in your home country to make it legal,right? If you didn't, are you officially married outside Thailand?

• Like 1