Tesco Lotus to stop giving out plastic straws

webfact

Tesco to stop giving out plastic straws

By The Nation

800_0b31ae098899af7.jpg?v=1575275485

Tesco Lotus is continuing the implementation of its no plastic policy, announcing an end to the use of plastic straws at all its outlets nationwide from December 4.

Salinla Seehaphan, Corporate Affairs Director, said “We will achieve our goal through three steps: reduce, retrieve, and reuse. Accord to a research, an estimated 100 million plastic straws are used per day or 35 billion a year. Plastic straw is not considered an reusable item.

Tesco wants to be part of the solution in ending plastic usage. The use of plastic straw will end on December 4, which has been declared Thai Environment Day.”

Tesco will provide an alternate paper straw (only in Tesco express), if necessary, she added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378990

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-02

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where will all this end? As others on Thaivisa have said, this is just the beginning. In the end, almost EVERYTHING made of plastic or containing plastic will be banned.

And then the scare and panic (Greta Thunberg: 'I want you all to PANIC!') will move on to something else (to control the human sheeple even more) - until in the end, everyone will be back living in caves; oh, and then rock will be declared unsound and unsafe - so then everyone will have to move out from their cave and live in the open air - but oh, oh, 'You are breathing out CO2 and causing climate change, so let's remove all these worthless humans from the planet (except us, of course)' .... ...!.

10 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Where will all this end? As others on Thaivisa have said, this is just the beginning. In the end, almost EVERYTHING made of plastic or containing plastic will be banned.

And then the scare and panic (Greta Thunberg: 'I want you all to PANIC!') will move on to something else (to control the human sheeple even more) - until in the end, everyone will be back living in caves; oh, and then rock will be declared unsound and unsafe - so then everyone will have to move out from their cave and live in the open air - but oh, oh, 'You are breathing out CO2 and causing climate change, so let's remove all these worthless humans from the planet (except us, of course)' .... ...!.

so, do you actually believe that minimizing the indiscriminate and gratuitous use of distribution of unnecessary plastic is a bad thing?

Every step in the right direction is a good step.

7 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

I agree with this move, I am fed up with throwing away plastic straws when i throw away the plastic bag that I don't need.

Hopefully 7-11 will follow suit and stop giving out plastic spoons with every pot of yoghurt.

Yes, also at the markets. If I buy some pieces of cakes they give me some spoons - without asking. And for sure I don´t look that I have no spoons at home. I always say "no". But I don´t understand why they never ask. It´s their money they give away. 

35 minutes ago, Eligius said:

And what would you do to protect the oceans(and people)from slowly

being killed by plastic?

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

And what would you do to protect the oceans(and people)from slowly

being killed by plastic?

Stop the plastic refuse getting into the oceans - preferably by committing it to landfill.

43 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Controlling plastic usage is probably not a bad thing as it does seem to have got out of control.

However, can someone please explain to me just what this has to do with climate change.  By all means, let's cut down on pollution of all sorts - no argument about that being a good thing.  Just don't expect this to 'cure' the natural changes in climate that have been happening for millions of years.  The link between pollution - even CO2 levels, if you want to class this essential atmospheric component as a pollutant - and climate change is tenuous at best.

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

This is the straw that break the camel back. I can already predict the flow of retiree leaving for a country where straw are still legal. This will push the economy to its knee. 

well i don't know about the economy, but it will certainly affect my coke habit.

9 minutes ago, doctormann said:

However, can someone please explain to me just what this has to do with climate change.  

you are aware of how the plastic we consume is made?

and even if there is, as you say, a tenuous link at best, can you deny the issues with disposal of all the plastic manufactured, let alone the manufacturing process and resources consumed and byproducts created in that process?

52 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

so, do you actually believe that minimizing the indiscriminate and gratuitous use of distribution of unnecessary plastic is a bad thing?

I do, it's completely unnecessary, just the latest 'hip' thing to keep the campaigning morons minds busy and distract them from real issues.

6 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

you are aware of how the plastic we consume is made?

and even if there is, as you say, a tenuous link at best, can you deny the issues with disposal of all the plastic manufactured, let alone the manufacturing process and resources consumed and byproducts created in that process?

As I said, I have no problem in reducing plastic usage and of course I'm aware of the pollution that just making the stuff causes.  We still need plastics though, just not for trivial purposes.

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

And will Lotus stop selling packs of  plastic straws? 

In the future. Sure

13 minutes ago, doctormann said:

However, can someone please explain to me just what this has to do with climate change.  By all means, let's cut down on pollution of all sorts - no argument about that being a good thing.  Just don't expect this to 'cure' the natural changes in climate that have been happening for millions of years.  The link between pollution - even CO2 levels, if you want to class this essential atmospheric component as a pollutant - and climate change is tenuous at best.

Ok.

plastic come from oil. 

If use one time, must burn (bad for air), or put in the ground (methane), or it go ocean, kill the sea animal.

More than 100 year.

if use paper straw, can feed it to the worm. 10 days, it gone 100%. 

Another idea. I have metal straw, can use more than 1 million time! 

Thankyou for your coperation.

9393F91E-FD4F-4CA6-9979-6AF1681A7493.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

In the future. Sure

Ok.

plastic come from oil. 

If use one time, must burn (bad for air), or put in the ground (methane), or it go ocean, kill the sea animal.

More than 100 year.

I was in Koh Mak and they use rice straw. It works as well as plastic. 

5 minutes ago, Yinn said:

We have these, unfortunately Madam doesn't like them but she does re-use plastic straws. If you don't chew the ends they're good for several weeks.

12 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I was in Koh Mak and they use rice straw. It works as well as plastic. 

All the resort Phangnga now use paper straw.

Small problem, sometimes stuck to lip.

maybe rice one better? I will find and try. 

Thankyou the information. 

We also have this style market more popular. I love it!

Plastic be the terrible problem so long time.

But this year, start to change so much. I so happy. Ban plastic bag, straw etc.  Think it never happen. 

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Wow. So good. Look better the paper one.

i think not stuck the lip and stronger. Fish and worm can eat it!

maybe can use for other plastic thing. I hope so.

Good news really.

52 minutes ago, Yinn said:

In the future. Sure

Ok.

plastic come from oil. 

More than 100 year.

Suggest you research carefully the environmental impact on the manufacture of, plastic straws, paper straws and stainless steel straws - each has an impact on the environment  - and then compare the environmental impact on each if indiscriminately disposed of - paper of steel have less impact but are not impact free. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tesco to stop giving out plastic straws

How can life go on in Thailand without a plastic straw? Sucking liquid through a plastic straw is a national pastime. It is in your face everywhere, every day and by just about everybody.

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

We have these, unfortunately Madam doesn't like them but she does re-use plastic straws. If you don't chew the ends they're good for several weeks.

Why would you even need a straw at home?

14 hours ago, doctormann said:

Controlling plastic usage is probably not a bad thing as it does seem to have got out of control.

Do you think plastic bags grow on trees?

Archived