Tesco Lotus to stop giving out plastic straws

webfact

15 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

I agree with this move, I am fed up with throwing away plastic straws when i throw away the plastic bag that I don't need.

Hopefully 7-11 will follow suit and stop giving out plastic spoons with every pot of yoghurt.

Do they force you to take straws and plastic spoons? Personally I use the bag to put all those plastic pots of yoghurt and other plastic packaging until I can find a place to properly dispose all that <deleted>, while most of the locals will merely throw it out the window. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Eligius said:

Where will all this end? As others on Thaivisa have said, this is just the beginning. In the end, almost EVERYTHING made of plastic or containing plastic will be banned.

And then the scare and panic (Greta Thunberg: 'I want you all to PANIC!') will move on to something else (to control the human sheeple even more) - until in the end, everyone will be back living in caves; oh, and then rock will be declared unsound and unsafe - so then everyone will have to move out from their cave and live in the open air - but oh, oh, 'You are breathing out CO2 and causing climate change, so let's remove all these worthless humans from the planet (except us, of course)' .... ...!.

Definition of ..."Prophet of Doom and Gloom"....Read no further, you have it all there in one single post.

Where will all this end? As others on Thaivisa have said, this is just the beginning. In the end, almost EVERYTHING made of plastic or containing plastic will be banned.

And then the scare and panic (Greta Thunberg: 'I want you all to PANIC!') will move on to something else (to control the human sheeple even more) - until in the end, everyone will be back living in caves; oh, and then rock will be declared unsound and unsafe - so then everyone will have to move out from their cave and live in the open air - but oh, oh, 'You are breathing out CO2 and causing climate change, so let's remove all these worthless humans from the planet (except us, of course)' .... ...!.

Hmm - interesting post, BUT wonder why exaggeration came to my mind ... ????

Uhm... rock IS unsound and unsafe, it emits RADON, a radioactive gas that produce cancer in the long run. BTW, I have never received a straw from Lotus:).

4 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Uhm... rock IS unsound and unsafe, it emits RADON, a radioactive gas that produce cancer in the long run. BTW, I have never received a straw from Lotus:).

RE - BTW, I have never received a straw from Lotus:).

* Rumors say that the staff are trained to see who drinks right from the bottle ... :whistling:

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Tesco wants to be part of the solution in ending plastic usage. The use of plastic straw will end on December 4, which has been declared Thai Environment Day.

I think they could do a little more than just straws!

15 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

16 hours ago, Eligius said:

Cows cause the climate change when farting, you do not know that yet ????

Plastic garbage in the oceans and nature only helps with strict waste separation.

16 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

so, do you actually believe that minimizing the indiscriminate and gratuitous use of distribution of unnecessary plastic is a bad thing?

nothing in this is about minimizing. It's about total elimination. 

That is, as I've explained before, a step into the 19th century.

Plastics have many important roles such as in hygeine and food safety - as one example - and consequently save millions of lives each year. 

There are biodegrable plastics, which such be promoted in use. Other plastics which are not such as PVC for water pipes, are equally important.

These idiots who want to eliminate plastics usage have zero understanding of how the world works.

15 hours ago, doctormann said:

Controlling plastic usage is probably not a bad thing as it does seem to have got out of control.

However, can someone please explain to me just what this has to do with climate change.  By all means, let's cut down on pollution of all sorts - no argument about that being a good thing.  Just don't expect this to 'cure' the natural changes in climate that have been happening for millions of years.  The link between pollution - even CO2 levels, if you want to class this essential atmospheric component as a pollutant - and climate change is tenuous at best.

Plastics are produced from Oil!

16 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

so, do you actually believe that minimizing the indiscriminate and gratuitous use of distribution of unnecessary plastic is a bad thing?

It is not a bad thing but, Eligius is right it is a control thing in the end. It's like gun control, they attack the gun and not the behavior. Just because plastic bags exist doesn't mean you don't have to dispose of them properly. Let's attack the people throwing their trash anywhere they please.

Funny thing is a few decades ago bags and straws were made of paper. Environmentalists complain about the damage producing them made to the environment so everyone switched to plastics. Guess that didn't work out did it. Now we are supposed to follow their recommendations regarding carbon dioxide. What could go wrong?

26 minutes ago, Darkside Gray said:

Plastics are produced from Oil!

Indeed - and the link to climate change is what?

Don't say CO2 because that has been done to death and, as I said in my original response to Eligius' post, the evidence is tenuous at best.  The production of plastics may well result in the emission of CO2, as do many other industrial processes, but will cutting back on plastic production and usage have any measurable effect on the climate?  I sincerely doubt it.

As I also said, I have no problems whatsoever in cutting pollution of all types but you should not have unreasonable expectations that this will 'solve' the so-called climate crisis.

50 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

nothing in this is about minimizing. It's about total elimination. 

That is, as I've explained before, a step into the 19th century.

Plastics have many important roles such as in hygeine and food safety - as one example - and consequently save millions of lives each year. 

There are biodegrable plastics, which such be promoted in use. Other plastics which are not such as PVC for water pipes, are equally important.

These idiots who want to eliminate plastics usage have zero understanding of how the world works.

RE- These idiots who want to eliminate plastics usage have zero understanding of how the world works.

* The EU states that if no action is taken, ‘by 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in the oceans’

Is it realistic to go plastic free by 2050?

“We believe that together we need to embark on a journey to understand the benefits of a circular economy, where, for non-biological materials, not only the packaging but also the contents are designed from first principles to be used, reclaimed, re-made and used again in a near infinite cycle. We can stem this plastic tide, but our best chance to do so is to do it together. We are determined to try.”

https://www.lr.org/en/insights/articles/is-it-realistic-to-go-plastic-free-by-2050/

17 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

I agree with this move, I am fed up with throwing away plastic straws when i throw away the plastic bag that I don't need.

Hopefully 7-11 will follow suit and stop giving out plastic spoons with every pot of yoghurt.

Those little plastic spoons are awesome. Mind your own business......

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

I do, it's completely unnecessary, just the latest 'hip' thing to keep the campaigning morons minds busy and distract them from real issues.

I like plastic straws. I use them as a better alternative to disposable wooden chopsticks. They make a great way to get into a plastic bag of potato chips without getting your fingers greasy. 

I was in the Gourmet market (Paragon) the other day, the lady at the till took great delight in telling me it was no plastic bag day. So I smiled and popped open my own reusable bag. I was a bit puzzled however when I got home and found she had slipped in a plastic straw for my pint of milk. ????

18 hours ago, Eligius said:

I hope they will forbid some people's plastic brains and force them to get reusable ones in the future ...

17 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

When I buy a drink at 7-11 I always tell them I don't need a straw or plastic bag the local one where I buy most of my stuff has quit offering me one

Awesome every journey begins with one step ????

now every TV person. Refuse plastic straws, and bags with your ice coffees or whatever.

go invest in a cool highly efficient reusable coffee travel container and use it every time ????????

Ok. I do agree, its too much. Too many plastic bags all day long.

But, ... there are missing some points.

1. The government should wake up a consciouns in the society for 

an environmental friendly spirit, as we have seen in Germany 

40 years ago. They established the green party in the government.

2. They should set up a standard for the replacement of the plastic

bags etc.

3. The plastic bags problem is only a single point in the whole story.

Since the Thai people go everywhere with the car, its much more

important to focus on the pollution problem. But I am quite sure

they will never change anything.

I hear that Rubber is the next Item on their agenda.

We will be forced to use wooden wheels, and it is not known about condoms.

What ever happened to the Idea of Recycling ?

Guess it is cheaper to Ban something than set up a real solution.

What about all the Containers that Products come in ?

Will Milk be back in Glass Bottles ?

Seems to me that all they come up with are Knee Jerk Ideas, with no real thought given.

Will the Plastic Factories convert, or just close down ?

How many workers will lose their jobs in this Industry ?

What will be used to replace the plastic market ?

Maybe time to Buy a Cow, Plant a garden, and learn how to be self sufficient.

Could also be a good time to get a Buffalo with a Cart, before the Price goes up.

Because this kind of thing, has a habit of never stopping.

3 hours ago, Hockeybik said:

It is not a bad thing but, Eligius is right it is a control thing in the end. It's like gun control, they attack the gun and not the behavior. Just because plastic bags exist doesn't mean you don't have to dispose of them properly. Let's attack the people throwing their trash anywhere they please.

Yes, trash reduction and gun control are exactly the same. Faultless analogy. 

4 hours ago, ttrd said:

Hmm - interesting post, BUT wonder why exaggeration came to my mind ... ????

Because that's the ThaiVisa way....when you can't support your position.... lie and exaggerate

19 hours ago, Artisi said:

And will Lotus stop selling packs of  plastic straws? 

I was wondering about that. My daughter likes the brand of Thai Denmark milk that comes in mini 250 ml cardboard cartons. Each carton is accompanied by a straw taped to the side in its own tiny bit of plastic. That straw goes straight in the bin. I am thinking that from next year if such a product continues to have a straw I will ask to see the manager and tell them I won't buy it...and why. 

Rooster

20 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

They now know at my local 7/11s not to bother giving me plastic spoons as I always refuse them. Have normal metal teaspoons at home which suffice. I am sure everyone else could do the same as nowhere in the UK gave them out as far as I remember.

Archived