Tesco Lotus to stop giving out plastic straws

webfact

10 minutes ago, worrab said:

They now know at my local 7/11s not to bother giving me plastic spoons as I always refuse them. Have normal metal teaspoons at home which suffice. I am sure everyone else could do the same as nowhere in the UK gave them out as far as I remember.

Perhaps not everyone buying at 7-11 brings what they buy home to eat.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Eligius said:

Where will all this end? As others on Thaivisa have said, this is just the beginning. In the end, almost EVERYTHING made of plastic or containing plastic will be banned.

And then the scare and panic (Greta Thunberg: 'I want you all to PANIC!') will move on to something else (to control the human sheeple even more) - until in the end, everyone will be back living in caves; oh, and then rock will be declared unsound and unsafe - so then everyone will have to move out from their cave and live in the open air - but oh, oh, 'You are breathing out CO2 and causing climate change, so let's remove all these worthless humans from the planet (except us, of course)' .... ...!.

Time to go back to your padded cell

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

I sometimes get straws when I buy cans of beer, despite having told all of the staff not to give me them.

I always get straws to drink my beer...are Tesco's going to give out paper straws instead ??

20 hours ago, ukrules said:

I do, it's completely unnecessary, just the latest 'hip' thing to keep the campaigning morons minds busy and distract them from real issues.

Yeah David Attenborough is a real moron isn’t he. He should focus on important things instead.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

We have these, unfortunately Madam doesn't like them but she does re-use plastic straws. If you don't chew the ends they're good for several weeks.

Insist on Madam using the metal straws and see if chews those too ????????

22 hours ago, Eligius said:

Where will all this end? As others on Thaivisa have said, this is just the beginning. In the end, almost EVERYTHING made of plastic or containing plastic will be banned.

And then the scare and panic (Greta Thunberg: 'I want you all to PANIC!') will move on to something else (to control the human sheeple even more) - until in the end, everyone will be back living in caves; oh, and then rock will be declared unsound and unsafe - so then everyone will have to move out from their cave and live in the open air - but oh, oh, 'You are breathing out CO2 and causing climate change, so let's remove all these worthless humans from the planet (except us, of course)' .... ...!.

Rock emits radon and causes cancer.  How about a tepee.  Oh wait, we have to kill bison for that.  Let's bring back Jim Jones.  He can make us some Kool-aid.

8 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

I hear that Rubber is the next Item on their agenda.

We will be forced to use wooden wheels, and it is not known about condoms.

What ever happened to the Idea of Recycling ?

Guess it is cheaper to Ban something than set up a real solution.

What about all the Containers that Products come in ?

Will Milk be back in Glass Bottles ?

Seems to me that all they come up with are Knee Jerk Ideas, with no real thought given.

Will the Plastic Factories convert, or just close down ?

How many workers will lose their jobs in this Industry ?

What will be used to replace the plastic market ?

Maybe time to Buy a Cow, Plant a garden, and learn how to be self sufficient.

Could also be a good time to get a Buffalo with a Cart, before the Price goes up.

Because this kind of thing, has a habit of never stopping.

A wooden condom, that could leave splinters ????

I wish that 7/11 and Lotus would simply have a "help yourself" policy instead of handing out straws for every drink sold and spoons for every yogurt sold whether or not the customer asks for them. Thousands of unwanted and unused straws must be going into the garbage every day. It would save the stores money and also help the environment, seems like common sense to me.

10 hours ago, doctormann said:

Indeed - and the link to climate change is what?

Don't say CO2 because that has been done to death and, as I said in my original response to Eligius' post, the evidence is tenuous at best.  The production of plastics may well result in the emission of CO2, as do many other industrial processes, but will cutting back on plastic production and usage have any measurable effect on the climate?  I sincerely doubt it.

As I also said, I have no problems whatsoever in cutting pollution of all types but you should not have unreasonable expectations that this will 'solve' the so-called climate crisis.

Sounds a lot like denial of climate change to me. I only know one other person in denial.... the orange one.

Paper straws like in the 70s or none. Plastic utensils - only to be purchased in packs. Get rid of the plastic in packaging.

I want the plastic bags otherwise I'll just have to buy thicker, less biodegradable bags which is stupid.

Im not a hippy living on a commune in Issarn with compost toilets. Bangkok needs plastic bags for waste disposal.

10 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Awesome every journey begins with one step ????

now every TV person. Refuse plastic straws, and bags with your ice coffees or whatever.

go invest in a cool highly efficient reusable coffee travel container and use it every time ????????

Good luck trying to persuade this miserable bunch ????????????

2 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

I wish that 7/11 and Lotus would simply have a "help yourself" policy instead of handing out straws for every drink sold and spoons for every yogurt sold whether or not the customer asks for them. Thousands of unwanted and unused straws must be going into the garbage every day. It would save the stores money and also help the environment, seems like common sense to me.

you tink too mut

11 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

I hear that Rubber is the next Item on their agenda.

We will be forced to use wooden wheels, and it is not known about condoms.

What ever happened to the Idea of Recycling ?

Guess it is cheaper to Ban something than set up a real solution.

What about all the Containers that Products come in ?

Will Milk be back in Glass Bottles ?

Seems to me that all they come up with are Knee Jerk Ideas, with no real thought given.

Will the Plastic Factories convert, or just close down ?

How many workers will lose their jobs in this Industry ?

What will be used to replace the plastic market ?

Maybe time to Buy a Cow, Plant a garden, and learn how to be self sufficient.

Could also be a good time to get a Buffalo with a Cart, before the Price goes up.

Because this kind of thing, has a habit of never stopping.

Complaining and whining are your 2 major hobbies?

Archived