Luggage straps

Inderpland

Where they sell luggage,  they sell the straps also, maybe not the ones with combi lock but definitely others.

I use them for two functions: one is double security about broken/ twisted locks from all the careful baggage handling, two is recognition factor on luggage belt 

1 hour ago, torturedsole said:

What is their purpose as always confused me as to what the actual function achieves?  Serious question.

Hold the suitcase together / protect it from splitting open if the bag is poorly handled.

Bought 2 just recently at Big C Chiang Mai, 150Baht each with rolling locks as per the photo..

37 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Hold the suitcase together / protect it from splitting open if the bag is poorly handled.

Bought 2 just recently at Big C Chiang Mai, 150Baht each with rolling locks as per the photo..

OK, I'll give Big C here in Pattaya a try.

7 hours ago, Inderpland said:

OK, I'll give Big C here in Pattaya a try.

At Big C here in Chiang Mai they often have n extra display of suitcases in the heavy walking area but the straps were in the normal area where the suitcases are displayed, a bit out of the way of heavy walking traffic.

10 hours ago, torturedsole said:

But I've yet to see in my many years of travelling a case come out on the carousel that's fallen apart.  Just an observation.  

I have seen quite a few, that presumably were tightly packed and had burst open pop up the ramp onto the carousel. Once it was mine!

Being a regular traveller I can tell you that luggage straps are not much use, the clip holding them together break very easily and in addition the luggage conveyor belts at airports catch them and rip them off.

Far better for security and helping the case hinges are plastic Zip-ties...very strong and will not break, the best place to buy the slightly larger zip ties is at the basement of TukCom.

3 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Being a regular traveller I can tell you that luggage straps are not much use, the clip holding them together break very easily and in addition the luggage conveyor belts at airports catch them and rip them off.

Far better for security and helping the case hinges are plastic Zip-ties...very strong and will not break, the best place to buy the slightly larger zip ties is at the basement of TukCom.

Or even the clingfilm machines which look more reliable than luggage straps.  Although I reckon customers actually use the clingfilm machines to reduce the risk of scratching and oil deposits on their expensive cases rather than keeping them intact.  

14 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Try the shop called DIY... one in the Avenue too. The selection at HomePro is good too. 

On 12/3/2019 at 5:24 PM, Pdavies99 said:

We use them for identification. Used a marker to write on them, works a treat, easy to spot on the belt. None have broken yet, we bought ones with clips that looked a bit more heavy duty.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:24 PM, Pdavies99 said:

Do they actually sell zip ties that are long enough to go around a large suitcase?

On 12/2/2019 at 10:45 AM, torturedsole said:

What is their purpose as always confused me as to what the actual function achieves?  Serious question.

Recognition on carousel.....personally I use bright pink string tied around both grab handles (neatly) around 7 or 8 times. Theres no chance of it "accidentally" being taken by mistake by someone else

24 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Recognition on carousel.....personally I use bright pink string tied around both grab handles (neatly) around 7 or 8 times. Theres no chance of it "accidentally" being taken by mistake by someone else

Good point.  My Samsonite case came chugging out on the carousel at LHR a few years ago and I picked it up and waltzed off.  Suddenly it dawned on me that it wasn't mine.  I did a U-turn and sure enough this other guy was walking off with mine.  Very easy mistake to make, particularly with the more popular brands.  

2 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Good point.  My Samsonite case came chugging out on the carousel at LHR a few years ago and I picked it up and waltzed off.  Suddenly it dawned on me that it wasn't mine.  I did a U-turn and sure enough this other guy was walking off with mine.  Very easy mistake to make, particularly with the more popular brands.  

The ones that go "walkies" are invariably the black rectangular suitcases which form probably 70% of a carousel on average. That pink string stands out so brightly though lol.....the other one I use is a Green Antler bag super strong hand grip which again stands out on the carousel. Very rare to see another at all

Edited....out of interest what I do is when the bags are full I take a photo via smartphone of both showing FF tags. manufacturer logos etc.....so easy in the event of a bag going missing to show baggage services if required

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

The ones that go "walkies" are invariably the black rectangular suitcases ...

That's the one.  Though super-strong case and definitely doesn't require luggage straps to hold it together.  Another time the same case came out onto the carousel and looked liked the airport baggage handlers had jumped up and down on it as one side was severely caved in but fortunately opened it up and gave the inside a push and out it popped with no discernable damage whatsoever.  

4 hours ago, Inderpland said:

Do they actually sell zip ties that are long enough to go around a large suitcase?

No they do not, but err ....you can simply connect them together?

Then of course when you cut the zip te you only have to replace one of them!

On 12/3/2019 at 5:33 PM, torturedsole said:

Or even the clingfilm machines which look more reliable than luggage straps.  Although I reckon customers actually use the clingfilm machines to reduce the risk of scratching and oil deposits on their expensive cases rather than keeping them intact.  

Agree, I use the cling film all the time. Yet to have a damaged suitcase. Maybe another advantage is Customs don't want the bother of getting me to open the case for inspection.

37 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

No they do not, but err ....you can simply connect them together?

Then of course when you cut the zip te you only have to replace one of them!

especially annoying ans wasteful...

when a dipstick cuts the Panduit strap, right up at the Lock end!

image.png.4746d72b9b37bdf816264e75a24d55ca.png   

Archived