75 brands to stop providing plastic bags from January 1

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Anotify said:

Just carry  your own... What's the problem ? Will people re use the issued brown paper bags  ? I doubt it. Do people stop shopping because Lotus do not provide plastic bags on Wednesdays  ?? Nope... 

Today at Lotus. NO plastic bag! = million less plastic bag

soon everyday!

58298E23-0A82-4FEA-92A1-ECD27E4D3914.jpeg

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, MikeN said:

but apparently you don’t want to start anywhere at all ?

Start? Some people need the courage of their own convictions. Start with the plastic bottles. Then move on and ban internal combustion engines for private use. Everybody makes choices. Part of the choice some people should make for living in the country is foregoing private cars and trucks. Courage of their convictions.  

4 hours ago, Anotify said:

Just carry  your own... What's the problem ? Will people re use the issued brown paper bags  ? I doubt it. Do people stop shopping because Lotus do not provide plastic bags on Wednesdays  ?? Nope... 

Paper bags make good trash bags and since so many people burn there trash they will help start the fire easier

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

Start? Some people need the courage of their own convictions. Start with the plastic bottles. Then move on and ban internal combustion engines for private use. Everybody makes choices. Part of the choice some people should make for living in the country is foregoing private cars and trucks. Courage of their convictions.  

I choose not to give up my private vehicles just like in the states I chose to own multiple guns and lots of ammo

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Today at Lotus. NO plastic bag! = million less plastic bag

soon everyday!

58298E23-0A82-4FEA-92A1-ECD27E4D3914.jpeg

My first job back when I was 16 was packing groceries at a Lucky Supermarket in So. California. I remember always having to ask "Would you like paper or plastic?"  Plastic bags were just coming out then and heralded as the savior of the environment because paper was so damaging to trees.  Of course, the real reason plastic was introduced was because plastic bags were so much cheaper for the company, and so we were instructed to always use plastic if the customer did not express a preference.

Today, with the plastic fable now being exposed for what it was, the stores are again trying the same trick. But instead of a plastic bag, they are now trying to get us to use "no bag". Again, this isn't for the environment. This is for their bottom line.

Paper bags are fine with me, and as long as this remains an option I will restrict myself to shopping at stores where they are given for free. Positive actions like this need to be rewarded. I hope retailers accept this is the only solution to this inane policy. I have no interest in helping the ultra wealthy become even richer by increasing corporate profits through "no bags".  

1 hour ago, Monomial said:

My first job back when I was 16 was packing groceries at a Lucky Supermarket in So. California. I remember always having to ask "Would you like paper or plastic?"  Plastic bags were just coming out then and heralded as the savior of the environment because paper was so damaging to trees.  Of course, the real reason plastic was introduced was because plastic bags were so much cheaper for the company, and so we were instructed to always use plastic if the customer did not express a preference.

Today, with the plastic fable now being exposed for what it was, the stores are again trying the same trick. But instead of a plastic bag, they are now trying to get us to use "no bag". Again, this isn't for the environment. This is for their bottom line.

Paper bags are fine with me, and as long as this remains an option I will restrict myself to shopping at stores where they are given for free. Positive actions like this need to be rewarded. I hope retailers accept this is the only solution to this inane policy. I have no interest in helping the ultra wealthy become even richer by increasing corporate profits through "no bags".  

As far as I know, it takes a lot more energy to manufacture a paper bag than it does to manufacture a plastic one, so just switching to paper is not really the best solution.

Plastic bags only become a problem when they are not disposed of properly. Of course, providing a sufficient infrastructure to take care of that is expensive and will anyway only be effective if people can be persuaded not to litter. Fat chance any of that will happen, so I guess the "no bags" policy will be as good as it gets.

On 12/2/2019 at 11:47 PM, BestB said:

So if not bags available, how will i take my shopping? Will they be selling carry bags for a reasonable price of like 20-30 baht or do the Makro thing, 99 baht for a bag, which will not fit much in

Why not follow Malaysia and Indonesia, if you want plastic, you pay extra for it. Soon people will either bring their own bags or not use as much and try to pack as much in as possible into one

Why give paper bags or others? You simply buy one reusable and the deal is done?! Why pay for plastic bags if the outcome of this action should be same? 

On 12/3/2019 at 12:12 PM, zydeco said:

People should be made to walk, not drive around in polluting gasoline engine driven cars and trucks. Then habits will really change, won't they?

OK, then carry reusable bags in your backpack or one or two in your pockets.

Your recommendation is limited by how much shopping needs to be carried. Unless you're suggesting we push a hand cart to the supermarket for a big shop!

On 12/3/2019 at 8:20 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Do you really think charging 10bht for bag will turn me into a Nancy, no way Jose.

Do you really think bringing your own bags will turn you into a nancy? Bags are bags! You can flaunce along just as well with your own bags, and if you cross dress and wear a wig no one will even know it is you...????!

On 12/2/2019 at 11:02 PM, worgeordie said:

Reducing plastic bags = more profit for the retailers,a windfall,

yes I know we should be getting rid of plastic bags,they are evil,

but why not give us an alternative with paper bags.

regards worgeordie

Paper bags are more carbon intensive to produce than plastic. Reusable bags are the only reasonable alternative to plastic and paper.

20 hours ago, Monomial said:

Really? They are going to get rich off of selling reusable bags? I've got reusable bags that are almost 10 years old. Tell me how greedy corporations are getting rich off bags that last that long.

The latest consumer research conducted in cities where single use plastic bags were banned vs charging a tax on plastic bags shows that the tax is more effective than just banning them outright. When they are banned, people tend to replace them with purpose made trash bags, thereby not reducing the total number of bags in the environment. 

2 hours ago, Xbeemer said:

Really? They are going to get rich off of selling reusable bags? I've got reusable bags that are almost 10 years old. Tell me how greedy corporations are getting rich off bags that last that long.

They are getting rich by eliminating the cost of providing bags to customers. That is their only motivation for doing this.

1 hour ago, Monomial said:
3 hours ago, Xbeemer said:

They are getting rich by eliminating the cost of providing bags to customers. That is their only motivation for doing this.

Rich, Huh? You have not considered the advertising that they have printed on the bags that will certainly be lost unless it is somehow replaced. How much is that worth?

Can you provide us with detailed cost info for the bags they provide now that is going to make them rich by their elimination or a change to another type of bag?

4 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Rich, Huh? You have not considered the advertising that they have printed on the bags that will certainly be lost unless it is somehow replaced. How much is that worth?

Can you provide us with detailed cost info for the bags they provide now that is going to make them rich by their elimination or a change to another type of bag?

Really? You want to go there?  OK. About 500 bags per customer per year. Times 40 satang per bag. That is 200 baht per customer. With 70 million people in Thailand, more than half of which live in cities, that is on the order of 3 billion baht you are campaigning to give to the already ultra wealthy.

That 3 billion baht needs to go somewhere other than the bank accounts of the uber rich if you want my support.  If you honestly believe this is about the environment, then I have a bridge to sell you. When the grocery chains switched from paper to plastic in the 80's, it had nothing to do with the environment, although that is how they sold it to the public, and people lapped it up. This is no different, just a different group of fools.

9 hours ago, Monomial said:

Really? You want to go there?  OK. About 500 bags per customer per year. Times 40 satang per bag. That is 200 baht per customer. With 70 million people in Thailand, more than half of which live in cities, that is on the order of 3 billion baht you are campaigning to give to the already ultra wealthy.

That 3 billion baht needs to go somewhere other than the bank accounts of the uber rich if you want my support.  If you honestly believe this is about the environment, then I have a bridge to sell you. When the grocery chains switched from paper to plastic in the 80's, it had nothing to do with the environment, although that is how they sold it to the public, and people lapped it up. This is no different, just a different group of fools.

Most of the major retailers have committed to donating the savings to charities.  CP All (7/11) for example have been donating their savings to hospitals around the country since the beginning of the year amounting to tens of millions of baht.

As usual, Monomial, clutching at straws to back up your futile responses.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, MikeN said:

I've already explained here my necessary use of plastic bags... to bring garbage to my condo hall's garbage chute and to bring recyclables to the ground floor recycling bin. If you can suggest an alternative as to how I might transport my garbage down the hallway cleanly and efficiently, I'd be eager to hear it.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, MikeN said:

The problem being that once companies do something easy and obvious, they think they've done enough and rest on their laurels. It's all about showing they care for the environment while not doing anything really meaningful...  

3 hours ago, HHTel said:

Most of the major retailers have committed to donating the savings to charities.  CP All (7/11) for example have been donating their savings to hospitals around the country since the beginning of the year amounting to tens of millions of baht.

As usual, Monomial, clutching at straws to back up your futile responses.

No one is clutching at straws.....The power behind this whole no plastic bag thing only cares about the environment when it suits their agenda......When the environment does not suit the agenda they could care less...... 

2044447197_Plastic1.jpeg.cbf91d97a4195378cf27a7b922d88b87.jpg

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:
4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

.The power behind this whole no plastic bag thing only cares about the environment when it suits their agenda......When the environment does not suit the agenda they could care less...... 

And who is this power that only acts to suit themselves?  We are talking about most of the world.  Must be a very organised power!

10 hours ago, Docno said:

I've already explained here my necessary use of plastic bags... to bring garbage to my condo hall's garbage chute and to bring recyclables to the ground floor recycling bin. If you can suggest an alternative as to how I might transport my garbage down the hallway cleanly and efficiently, I'd be eager to hear it.

They do sell rolls of plastic bags, just saying.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:57 AM, HHTel said:

I wasn't going to respond, but this is just so on point that I can't let such a comment like this go. This is exactly why you need to be extremely suspicious of this "no bags" movement.

For anyone who has Netflix, I suggest watching this week's release of "Patriot Act" with Hasan Minhaj ("Why Billionaires Won't Save Us").  It goes into some of the reasons why "big philanthropy" is so damaging to society, and why we need to be very suspicious of those corporations and billionaires who engage in the practice of, what he calls, "reputation cleansing."

I give Dhanin of the CP group and other rich billionaires absolutely zero credit for returning a *VERY SMALL* part of the money that they have mercilessly stolen from the rest of us via the rigged system they created to benefit themselves. I am amazed that anyone who purports to support the environment would try and defend the mega wealthy like the Chearavanonts, who do more to ruin the environment than anyone else.  I think you need to take a very close look at your values if you think what they bring to the world is a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 11:47 PM, BestB said:

So if not bags available, how will i take my shopping? Will they be selling carry bags for a reasonable price of like 20-30 baht or do the Makro thing, 99 baht for a bag, which will not fit much in

Why not follow Malaysia and Indonesia, if you want plastic, you pay extra for it. Soon people will either bring their own bags or not use as much and try to pack as much in as possible into one

Villa market sells reusable bags for 20 baht

2 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Why not follow Malaysia and Indonesia, if you want plastic, you pay extra for it.

That quote is from BestB not 56.......

Why not follow some of the other countries that have banned plastic bags.  There are arguments for and against both systems.

The facts are that 72 countries have banned plastic bags whereas 35 have a system that charges for bags.

57 minutes ago, HHTel said:

That quote is from BestB not 56.......

Why not follow some of the other countries that have banned plastic bags.  There are arguments for and against both systems.

The facts are that 72 countries have banned plastic bags whereas 35 have a system that charges for bags.

I bought 4 reusable bags at Tesco years ago.  I've had to sew and glue the handles back on one because I overload them but they still are functioning fine.   Actually I like the system that I use as I bag the groceries as I pick them and at checkout the clerk unloads one bag at a time and I repack it after she rings the items. That way you don't get a bottle of Clorox and other heavy things on top of your fresh tomatoes and bread and all of the "cold" stuff is in one bag together.  Tesco can't make up their minds whether to have bags or not, one time it's  plastic, the next none, the next paper and then back to plastic.  The last time that I was in 7-11 they had taken the bags off of the counter and hid them in a drawer but they still used them.

Archived