Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

75 brands to stop providing plastic bags from January 1

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Anotify said:

Just carry  your own... What's the problem ? Will people re use the issued brown paper bags  ? I doubt it. Do people stop shopping because Lotus do not provide plastic bags on Wednesdays  ?? Nope... 

Today at Lotus. NO plastic bag! = million less plastic bag

soon everyday!

58298E23-0A82-4FEA-92A1-ECD27E4D3914.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MikeN said:

but apparently you don’t want to start anywhere at all ?

Start? Some people need the courage of their own convictions. Start with the plastic bottles. Then move on and ban internal combustion engines for private use. Everybody makes choices. Part of the choice some people should make for living in the country is foregoing private cars and trucks. Courage of their convictions.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anotify said:

Just carry  your own... What's the problem ? Will people re use the issued brown paper bags  ? I doubt it. Do people stop shopping because Lotus do not provide plastic bags on Wednesdays  ?? Nope... 

Paper bags make good trash bags and since so many people burn there trash they will help start the fire easier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zydeco said:

Start? Some people need the courage of their own convictions. Start with the plastic bottles. Then move on and ban internal combustion engines for private use. Everybody makes choices. Part of the choice some people should make for living in the country is foregoing private cars and trucks. Courage of their convictions.  

I choose not to give up my private vehicles just like in the states I chose to own multiple guns and lots of ammo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Today at Lotus. NO plastic bag! = million less plastic bag

soon everyday!

58298E23-0A82-4FEA-92A1-ECD27E4D3914.jpeg

 

My first job back when I was 16 was packing groceries at a Lucky Supermarket in So. California. I remember always having to ask "Would you like paper or plastic?"  Plastic bags were just coming out then and heralded as the savior of the environment because paper was so damaging to trees.  Of course, the real reason plastic was introduced was because plastic bags were so much cheaper for the company, and so we were instructed to always use plastic if the customer did not express a preference.

 

Today, with the plastic fable now being exposed for what it was, the stores are again trying the same trick. But instead of a plastic bag, they are now trying to get us to use "no bag". Again, this isn't for the environment. This is for their bottom line.

 

Paper bags are fine with me, and as long as this remains an option I will restrict myself to shopping at stores where they are given for free. Positive actions like this need to be rewarded. I hope retailers accept this is the only solution to this inane policy. I have no interest in helping the ultra wealthy become even richer by increasing corporate profits through "no bags".  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monomial said:

 

My first job back when I was 16 was packing groceries at a Lucky Supermarket in So. California. I remember always having to ask "Would you like paper or plastic?"  Plastic bags were just coming out then and heralded as the savior of the environment because paper was so damaging to trees.  Of course, the real reason plastic was introduced was because plastic bags were so much cheaper for the company, and so we were instructed to always use plastic if the customer did not express a preference.

 

Today, with the plastic fable now being exposed for what it was, the stores are again trying the same trick. But instead of a plastic bag, they are now trying to get us to use "no bag". Again, this isn't for the environment. This is for their bottom line.

 

Paper bags are fine with me, and as long as this remains an option I will restrict myself to shopping at stores where they are given for free. Positive actions like this need to be rewarded. I hope retailers accept this is the only solution to this inane policy. I have no interest in helping the ultra wealthy become even richer by increasing corporate profits through "no bags".  

 

As far as I know, it takes a lot more energy to manufacture a paper bag than it does to manufacture a plastic one, so just switching to paper is not really the best solution.

 

Plastic bags only become a problem when they are not disposed of properly. Of course, providing a sufficient infrastructure to take care of that is expensive and will anyway only be effective if people can be persuaded not to litter. Fat chance any of that will happen, so I guess the "no bags" policy will be as good as it gets.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 11:47 PM, BestB said:

So if not bags available, how will i take my shopping? Will they be selling carry bags for a reasonable price of like 20-30 baht or do the Makro thing, 99 baht for a bag, which will not fit much in

 

Why not follow Malaysia and Indonesia, if you want plastic, you pay extra for it. Soon people will either bring their own bags or not use as much and try to pack as much in as possible into one

Why give paper bags or others? You simply buy one reusable and the deal is done?! Why pay for plastic bags if the outcome of this action should be same? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Fred white said:

Paper bags make good trash bags and since so many people burn there trash they will help start the fire easier

Producing paper bags means deforestation...? Paper bags are made of wood as all paper. Useless...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 12:12 PM, zydeco said:

People should be made to walk, not drive around in polluting gasoline engine driven cars and trucks. Then habits will really change, won't they?

OK, then carry reusable bags in your backpack or one or two in your pockets.

 

Your recommendation is limited by how much shopping needs to be carried. Unless you're suggesting we push a hand cart to the supermarket for a big shop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 8:20 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Do you really think charging 10bht for bag will turn me into a Nancy, no way Jose.

Do you really think bringing your own bags will turn you into a nancy? Bags are bags! You can flaunce along just as well with your own bags, and if you cross dress and wear a wig no one will even know it is you...🤣!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 11:02 PM, worgeordie said:

Reducing plastic bags = more profit for the retailers,a windfall,

yes I know we should be getting rid of plastic bags,they are evil,

but why not give us an alternative with paper bags.

regards worgeordie

 

Paper bags are more carbon intensive to produce than plastic. Reusable bags are the only reasonable alternative to plastic and paper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Monomial said:

 

My first job back when I was 16 was packing groceries at a Lucky Supermarket in So. California. I remember always having to ask "Would you like paper or plastic?"  Plastic bags were just coming out then and heralded as the savior of the environment because paper was so damaging to trees.  Of course, the real reason plastic was introduced was because plastic bags were so much cheaper for the company, and so we were instructed to always use plastic if the customer did not express a preference.

 

Today, with the plastic fable now being exposed for what it was, the stores are again trying the same trick. But instead of a plastic bag, they are now trying to get us to use "no bag". Again, this isn't for the environment. This is for their bottom line.

 

Paper bags are fine with me, and as long as this remains an option I will restrict myself to shopping at stores where they are given for free. Positive actions like this need to be rewarded. I hope retailers accept this is the only solution to this inane policy. I have no interest in helping the ultra wealthy become even richer by increasing corporate profits through "no bags".  

 

Really? They are going to get rich off of selling reusable bags? I've got reusable bags that are almost 10 years old. Tell me how greedy corporations are getting rich off bags that last that long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest consumer research conducted in cities where single use plastic bags were banned vs charging a tax on plastic bags shows that the tax is more effective than just banning them outright. When they are banned, people tend to replace them with purpose made trash bags, thereby not reducing the total number of bags in the environment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xbeemer said:

Really? They are going to get rich off of selling reusable bags? I've got reusable bags that are almost 10 years old. Tell me how greedy corporations are getting rich off bags that last that long.

 

They are getting rich by eliminating the cost of providing bags to customers. That is their only motivation for doing this.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...