BANGKOK
snoop1130

75 brands to stop providing plastic bags from January 1

1 hour ago, Monomial said:
3 hours ago, Xbeemer said:

Really? They are going to get rich off of selling reusable bags? I've got reusable bags that are almost 10 years old. Tell me how greedy corporations are getting rich off bags that last that long.

They are getting rich by eliminating the cost of providing bags to customers. That is their only motivation for doing this.

Rich, Huh? You have not considered the advertising that they have printed on the bags that will certainly be lost unless it is somehow replaced. How much is that worth?

Can you provide us with detailed cost info for the bags they provide now that is going to make them rich by their elimination or a change to another type of bag?

9 hours ago, Liss Camber said:

Producing paper bags means deforestation...? Paper bags are made of wood as all paper. Useless...

Trees can be replanted tree farming was a big thing in parts of Georgia and the Southeastern US

4 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Rich, Huh? You have not considered the advertising that they have printed on the bags that will certainly be lost unless it is somehow replaced. How much is that worth?

Can you provide us with detailed cost info for the bags they provide now that is going to make them rich by their elimination or a change to another type of bag?

Really? You want to go there?  OK. About 500 bags per customer per year. Times 40 satang per bag. That is 200 baht per customer. With 70 million people in Thailand, more than half of which live in cities, that is on the order of 3 billion baht you are campaigning to give to the already ultra wealthy.

That 3 billion baht needs to go somewhere other than the bank accounts of the uber rich if you want my support.  If you honestly believe this is about the environment, then I have a bridge to sell you. When the grocery chains switched from paper to plastic in the 80's, it had nothing to do with the environment, although that is how they sold it to the public, and people lapped it up. This is no different, just a different group of fools.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monomial said:

Really? You want to go there?  OK. About 500 bags per customer per year. Times 40 satang per bag. That is 200 baht per customer. With 70 million people in Thailand, more than half of which live in cities, that is on the order of 3 billion baht you are campaigning to give to the already ultra wealthy.

That 3 billion baht needs to go somewhere other than the bank accounts of the uber rich if you want my support.  If you honestly believe this is about the environment, then I have a bridge to sell you. When the grocery chains switched from paper to plastic in the 80's, it had nothing to do with the environment, although that is how they sold it to the public, and people lapped it up. This is no different, just a different group of fools.

Most of the major retailers have committed to donating the savings to charities.  CP All (7/11) for example have been donating their savings to hospitals around the country since the beginning of the year amounting to tens of millions of baht.

As usual, Monomial, clutching at straws to back up your futile responses.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, MikeN said:

but apparently you don’t want to start anywhere at all ?

I've already explained here my necessary use of plastic bags... to bring garbage to my condo hall's garbage chute and to bring recyclables to the ground floor recycling bin. If you can suggest an alternative as to how I might transport my garbage down the hallway cleanly and efficiently, I'd be eager to hear it.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, MikeN said:

but apparently you don’t want to start anywhere at all ?

The problem being that once companies do something easy and obvious, they think they've done enough and rest on their laurels. It's all about showing they care for the environment while not doing anything really meaningful...  

3 hours ago, HHTel said:

Most of the major retailers have committed to donating the savings to charities.  CP All (7/11) for example have been donating their savings to hospitals around the country since the beginning of the year amounting to tens of millions of baht.

As usual, Monomial, clutching at straws to back up your futile responses.

No one is clutching at straws.....The power behind this whole no plastic bag thing only cares about the environment when it suits their agenda......When the environment does not suit the agenda they could care less...... 

2044447197_Plastic1.jpeg.cbf91d97a4195378cf27a7b922d88b87.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:
4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

.The power behind this whole no plastic bag thing only cares about the environment when it suits their agenda......When the environment does not suit the agenda they could care less...... 

And who is this power that only acts to suit themselves?  We are talking about most of the world.  Must be a very organised power!

10 hours ago, Docno said:

I've already explained here my necessary use of plastic bags... to bring garbage to my condo hall's garbage chute and to bring recyclables to the ground floor recycling bin. If you can suggest an alternative as to how I might transport my garbage down the hallway cleanly and efficiently, I'd be eager to hear it.

They do sell rolls of plastic bags, just saying.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:57 AM, HHTel said:

I wasn't going to respond, but this is just so on point that I can't let such a comment like this go. This is exactly why you need to be extremely suspicious of this "no bags" movement.

For anyone who has Netflix, I suggest watching this week's release of "Patriot Act" with Hasan Minhaj ("Why Billionaires Won't Save Us").  It goes into some of the reasons why "big philanthropy" is so damaging to society, and why we need to be very suspicious of those corporations and billionaires who engage in the practice of, what he calls, "reputation cleansing."

I give Dhanin of the CP group and other rich billionaires absolutely zero credit for returning a *VERY SMALL* part of the money that they have mercilessly stolen from the rest of us via the rigged system they created to benefit themselves. I am amazed that anyone who purports to support the environment would try and defend the mega wealthy like the Chearavanonts, who do more to ruin the environment than anyone else.  I think you need to take a very close look at your values if you think what they bring to the world is a good thing.