75 brands to stop providing plastic bags from January 1

snoop1130

For our family there will not be a saving as we reuse the plastic bag as a garbage bag.  If we do not get the bags from the shops then we will be forced to buy plastic garbage bags.  We would be happy to change the way we dispose of garbage but the smelly garbage corner pick up does not work well with paper.  It would be a disaster if everybody put their wet garbage on the street corner in paper.  Then LOS would be land of smells ... and not in a good way.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another set to fail policy. Remember when they tried to stop riding in bed of pick-ups. My take out meals need plastic bags, when I pop into a shop for a few bottles of beers. I don't think this ban will last.

I'm a little bit confused, are the garbage bags not plastic? I mean the black bags we use for garbage? In our household we use the plastic bags we get at the store as garbage bags. When we don't get bags from the store, we have to buy more black garbage bags. I agree to reduce the use of plastic, but a full solution must be presented and followed up on. A solution for garbage handling without plastic bags must be included in the overall plan.

11 minutes ago, recom273 said:

It’s already been introduced in Hat Yai.

No thought or planning - just dropped last week. No plastic bags from Big C.

No problem to us, we have a motorbike sidecar which we use for our monthly shopping and the like, I have some big ikea bags, but what about those who dangle plastic bags from their wing mirrors? Wife says there are people just walking away from the tills with arms full of shopping because they have no way of carrying.

Its the same old story, poor implementation and no thought given.

Im sure it’s doomed to failure, people will buy less because they can’t carry, sales will plummet.

I would also question, the environmental cost of brown paper bags? Where does the wood pulp comes from?

"i'm sure that it is doomed to failure.."

I am very sure that it is not.

Several posters on this thread appear to have the type of brains that were redundant even before the Siege of Jericho...

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Just another set to fail policy. Remember when they tried to stop riding in bed of pick-ups. My take out meals need plastic bags, when I pop into a shop for a few bottles of beers. I don't think this ban will last.

Just like with most things, Thai think they know best, and instead of following suit of other countries want to invent something new, which naturally fails. Sadly plenty of foreigners who appear to be incapable of thinking and would follow thai to a cliff like a blind sheep.

Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, charge for plastic bags and provide fairly strong bags, Also have reusable bags available for sale, for 20-30 baht.

This way people have a choice, some go shopping prepared and take their own, but if forgotten or on the run also have options

As a SCUBA diver I have seen first hand the damage the plastic bags do to the environment.  Diving in Lembeh Straits in Indonesia last year you had to dive down through the floating plastic and other trash just to begin your dive.  Once at the bottom where most of Lembeh's marine life exists it was more of the same.  45 years ago Pattaya was a haven of beautiful corals and marine life.  Today its littered with plastic and other trash.  Much of the marine life is gone replaced by sea urchins.  The beautiful corals for the most part have been destroyed mostly through poor fishing practices but also by non diving or poorly trained divers and tourists who have no clue or do not care about the damage their walking on corals and collecting shells does to the marine environment.  Time for Thailand to wake up and do whatever is necessary to protect these resources for future generations.  

4 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I can see a new law coming . a ban on plastic bags if caught with a plastic bag 5 years in prison or a 100.000b fine or both 

Don't tempt fate.

Don't know where this 2028 came from but the government has already put in place a ban from Jan 2021

government’s road map to eliminate plastic bags from Thailand by 2028.

Thailand banishes plastic bags by 2021. ... That's the declared “D-Day”, but it is kicking in now with major retailers such as CP Group (7-Eleven), Central and The Mall Group confirming they will no longer offer plastic bags to customers as early as 1 January 2020.

38 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I'm a little bit confused, are the garbage bags not plastic? I mean the black bags we use for garbage? In our household we use the plastic bags we get at the store as garbage bags. When we don't get bags from the store, we have to buy more black garbage bags. I agree to reduce the use of plastic, but a full solution must be presented and followed up on. A solution for garbage handling without plastic bags must be included in the overall plan.

I do the same. Even if they gave out paper bags at the store i would still need to buy, and throw away, plastic bags for my garbage.

40 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I suppose will have to pay a little more for biodegradable bags  

2 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I'm a little bit confused, are the garbage bags not plastic? I mean the black bags we use for garbage? In our household we use the plastic bags we get at the store as garbage bags. When we don't get bags from the store, we have to buy more black garbage bags.

There is no ban on bio-degradable bags which garbage bags should be.

Tesco Ban Chang yesterday, no plastic bags, no reusable bags on sale, no paper bags.  Thanks guys, lucky I had a reusable one from the Kilo 10 branch in my pocket.  I'm all for cutting down the use of plastic bags but make sure you give us an alternative. 

18 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Don't tempt fate.

Don't know where this 2028 came from but the government has already put in place a ban from Jan 2021

The 2028 is the new face saving plastic ban goal post because they know retailers will be caving in and will be smartly giving out plastic bags in short order to protect their sales.......Plastic bags are here to stay in Thailand....

9 hours ago, BestB said:

So if not bags available, how will i take my shopping? Will they be selling carry bags for a reasonable price of like 20-30 baht or do the Makro thing, 99 baht for a bag, which will not fit much in

Why not follow Malaysia and Indonesia, if you want plastic, you pay extra for it. Soon people will either bring their own bags or not use as much and try to pack as much in as possible into one

My local Makro charges 15 baht for a large heavy duty plastic bag. They sell them at the till, which seems sensible. Take a look. As for how you will take your shopping home, how about taking your own bag? I'm really surprised that you couldn't work that out for yourself. It's also what people in Europe have been doing for many years, certainly for a decade or more.

4 minutes ago, Beau Coup Dinky said:

Kinda odd if you ask me. All this plastic in Thailand is biodegradable as it is and most disintegrates before the year is up....... It is also funny, that a small third world country like this, can come up with plastic that virtually disappears into dust in less than a year, but the 1st world leader countries can't?

Totally agree. I can only put it down to the usual low quality you find so often in Thailand. In this case it's a positive.

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

They give paper bag already.

4 every month now for learning. At Tesco. And other place will be same.

I feed to my worm.

Full time soon. 

Will be good.

B2115560-F3D2-49F9-9406-5EE0117F3C41.jpeg

She'll wipe that grin right off her face when she needs to carry three or four of those paper bags some 300 or 400 meters to a taxi.

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

The paper bag.

Dad tell me before plastic bag popular, the shop all use paper bag. 

Human can survive with no plastic bag. Not panic. We be ok.

i use already. No problem. 

We can do it!

Yinn its not the plastic bag that are the problem , im from Scandinavia and you almost 

not see any plastic bag in the streets , the woods , the ocean etc etc because from when 

we are child we learn to put the garebage in the garebage bin its not so hard. Here in the street 

i live you see Thai children just trow the garbage on the ground all the time like its the normal 

thing to do and ofcourse for this children it is because mama/ papa/school never teach them that 

this is wrong , maybe your Thai goverment actualy should start teach the Thai people insted of just 

bann everything but i guess its no money to be made from is so it will never happen sad but true.

Apart from the fact that all these brand stores and supermarkets are reducing plastic to increase their profits rather than being environmentally altruistic, it will also spark an array of side effects.

I can get behind not providing plastic bags in supermarkets as most people tend to plan their grocery shopping and bringing your own bag isn't a problem.

However if we look at cultural dimensions of Thailand, foresight and planning isn't particularly their strong suit. Deciding to go out and grab a bite to eat at the local shopping mall would on many occasions see people going shopping afterwards or perhaps they walk by something and decide to buy it. If you're buying a pair of jeans or some shoes are you supposed to just walk with that without a plastic bag?

Want to do more shopping?

"Oh sorry no I can't my hands are full already." It doesn't make sense in department stores.

Which other country in the world does this? Instead of Thailand following known good principles they will find a way to make it cringe and unworkable. And finally resort back to using plastic bags everywhere. I suspect within 6 months of the suggested D-Day.

1 hour ago, bushwacker said:

For our family there will not be a saving as we reuse the plastic bag as a garbage bag.  If we do not get the bags from the shops then we will be forced to buy plastic garbage bags.  We would be happy to change the way we dispose of garbage but the smelly garbage corner pick up does not work well with paper.  It would be a disaster if everybody put their wet garbage on the street corner in paper.  Then LOS would be land of smells ... and not in a good way.

Apparently the average Thai uses 8 plastic bags a day, half of which are shop checkout type, half are from street vendors. So if you are a family of four that would be 16 of each....do you use 16 garbage bags a day ? Anybody that needs more than one garbage bag per person per day needs to rethink their shopping habits.

53 minutes ago, Henryford said:

So every time i go out i have to bring some bags with me !!

Yes, they want your entire life to be tied to a shopping bag. And it will make a lot of old men who having nothing else to do with their lives but worry about plastic bags feel like they still matter to the world.

10 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

And how do Thai people take home their food including soup in a paper bag?

People will have to take their own bento style boxes, available at Makro and others, such as depicted below... 

How did they do it before the advent of plastic bags ? Probably ate in situe... 
The « Take Away » mode of food collecting also has a CO2 impact.. 

6DE1B1D2-93CC-45CA-B656-9BF77D37F072.jpeg

103F39A4-C3DC-445D-8A22-21ECB66C7789.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My local Makro charges 15 baht for a large heavy duty plastic bag. They sell them at the till, which seems sensible. Take a look. As for how you will take your shopping home, how about taking your own bag? I'm really surprised that you couldn't work that out for yourself. It's also what people in Europe have been doing for many years, certainly for a decade or more.

Those bags are actually 11 baht but I am not talking about plastic ones. Also the ones from makro can hold a lot but handles stretch and rip, hardly reusable unless all you buying is bread 

as for other part of your silly post , unlike you I have a busy life , last thing on my mind is to pack bags in case I decided to go shopping, not all of us are 80 years old and spend days preparing and looking forward to shopping .

1 hour ago, PEE TEE said:

I can see a new law coming . a ban on plastic bags if caught with a plastic bag 5 years in prison or a 100.000b fine or both 

Why not ? In Kenya it’s up to 4 years, or $37000.

Archived