75 brands to stop providing plastic bags from January 1

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, Beau Coup Dinky said:

Kinda odd if you ask me. All this plastic in Thailand is biodegradable as it is and most disintegrates before the year is up. By law, they cannot sell plastic anything, if it doesn't degrade within a year. Several stores in Udon already back this and refuse to give bags on a certain day of the week. It is also funny, that a small third world country like this, can come up with plastic that virtually disappears into dust in less than a year, but the 1st world leader countries can't?

It's not just the plastic bags, everything made of plastic rots here in the climate. Tools, computers and other electronics, waterproof garments, vehicle parts all degrade into a sticky mess. And guess what, we throw them away and buy a new one. It's called planned obsolescence, and it's what keeps industry going. What, oh what, are the plastic bag companies going to do when no-one uses their products any more?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

"i'm sure that it is doomed to failure.."

I am very sure that it is not.

Several posters on this thread appear to have the type of brains that were redundant even before the Siege of Jericho...

I guess that outweighs the number of people who love to insult others over their keyboards. Are you unable to pose your point of view without dragging others down? Thaivisa .. always has, always will be.

I’m just basing my light hearted prediction on what I have seen And experienced over the last month, people totally stumped when confronted with a poorly implemented system. Families of shoppers carrying everything in their arms because they weren’t warned on the way in to buy a plastic storage tub, or offered a reusable shopping bag at the checkout. Simple measures to ensure success.

Why just jump on a bandwagon now, in Malaysia they have been asking shoppers for around 10 years if they require a bag.

I really hope this succeeds, I have been handing back bags to checkout girls for years and watching them throw them away as I transferred stuff into my backpack, when challenged they tell me Thai people don’t like “used” things. 

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I think these are wax lined (or something like that) so that they don't go soggy and are therefore not recyclable. The same as take away 'paper' cups from coffee outlets. These are all single use.

Google has a different opinion seems …..

Brick.png

Saw a guy at Tops, during a bag-free day, just walk off with his stuff in the plastic basket they provide for shopping. Haha.

We'll learn how to live without free bags, but it's a bonus for retailers, who'll now SELL carry- and rubbish-bags, rather than provide them for free.

Just nanny-state, politically correct, virtue signaling, and all the better because it's cost effective:

These all cost money and effort, so won't happen: a public-education campaign, improved garbage collection and disposal, blanket and severe policing of polluters. (And how about plumbing drinkable water - the ancient Romans did it, so how hard can it be.)

This costs no more than the piece of paper it's written on, and a pen: banning free bags.

22 minutes ago, BestB said:

Those bags are actually 11 baht but I am not talking about plastic ones. Also the ones from makro can hold a lot but handles stretch and rip, hardly reusable unless all you buying is bread 

as for other part of your silly post , unlike you I have a busy life , last thing on my mind is to pack bags in case I decided to go shopping, not all of us are 80 years old and spend days preparing and looking forward to shopping .

They charged 15 at my local Makro last week, and they are certainly strong enough to cope with loading the bag into the car from the trolley and offloading it at home. Perhaps we have seen different bags. As for the other part of my 'silly post' to which you refer, I'm not '80 and spending my time preparing to shop'. I'm organised enough to keep a bag in the car for when I go shopping. You know, planning ahead. I do sympathise though that you are too busy to think of such things.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They charged 15 at my local Makro last week, and they are certainly strong enough to cope with loading the bag into the car from the trolley and offloading it at home. Perhaps we have seen different bags. As for the other part of my 'silly post' to which you refer, I'm not '80 and spending my time preparing to shop'. I'm organised enough to keep a bag in the car for when I go shopping. You know, planning ahead. I do sympathise though that you are too busy to think of such things.

Once again do not assume all are 80 years old and make plans to go shopping as if it was some kind of special celebration . I ride on bike as I do not have time to be stuck in traffic and no makro bags are not strong enough and are 11 baht, 

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

So every time i go out i have to bring some bags with me !!

If you drive you put on a seat belt, if you ride a motorcycle you put on a helmet, if you go shopping you take some bags... you're catching on fast!

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

So if i am out and decide to do some shopping how do i carry it home?

If you are the lucky owner of a car/pickup  Sir , you keep loading it in the Tesco /big c shopper and roll it to your car ….where you have that nice handmade bamboo crate (recyclable ) or if not having such then use that damn plastic crate (those with cover and rollers bottom type ) to take it later at home from the car …

not having car ….. must think other solutions

7ce73e6346bb6cfdc43129b0080e6d62.jpg

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Reducing plastic bags = more profit for the retailers,a windfall,

yes I know we should be getting rid of plastic bags,they are evil,

but why not give us an alternative with paper bags.

regards worgeordie

Why? Then they wine about the trees they cut to make paper. Hang on that gives me an idea. Get the farmers to grow trees (some off them could be Ganja) millions off them then they can make as many paper & cloth bags as they want/need.  :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Terek said:

this is stupid. people affected by climate hysteria can do whatever they want. but why enforce these perverse ideas to normal people, hmmmm.  I will resist and take more plastic bags whenever possible :))))

Sorry to say but it will be enforced just like the smoking ban ….so give up the resistance it is hopeless 

In my home country a decade already they made us recycling in 3 different containers …. and just like you we thought we could resist ….. no way ….!  I even keep recycling here in Thailand as a good E.U. trained one ...lol...….but only in 1 extra bag.... but the cleaners of the building are thankful as now all selected already and no need to go thru the dirty garbage for their extra profit selling the recycling's 

"If you can not win them ….join them "…. less headache and frustration ...5555

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Just carry reusable bags in your car or under motorbike seat just as most people now do in the UK. If they start charging 10thb per plastic bag, again as they have in the UK, habits will soon change.

tens of thousands including me used the plastic bags at home in the kitchen bins.

Now we all have to buy kitchen bin plastic bags.

Imagine the actual amount of plastic bags the move will save, if you have to buy plastic bags in order to replace plastic bags ????

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

More paper bags = Less trees !

3 minutes ago, Docno said:

Far more plastic goes into the packaging of the products we used to put in those bags than the bags themselves. This is little more than virtue signalling 

They have to start somewhere …. some more go follow...

1 minute ago, david555 said:

They have to start somewhere …. some go follow...

Nope - they do the low hanging fruit. The easy stuff. Easier to go after the consumers than to pressure manufacturers to change their practices. 

6 minutes ago, Docno said:

Nope - they do the low hanging fruit. The easy stuff. Easier to go after the consumers than to pressure manufacturers to change their practices. 

in the bag case it is both who has to change  consumers and sellers who ever they are , it is proven in my Europe country ...we adapted vey quick as no other option ….maybe you where one of them  there …. we keep recycling our garbage and use own or multi reusable bags …. isn't…it ?

12 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

And how do Thai people take home their food including soup in a paper bag?

I'd be more worried about the heat from the soup causing cancerous chemicals to be released from the plastic. I shudder every time I see my GF buying something like that, even though I've told her that it's bad juju 

3 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

It's just a money grab by the rich merchants of Thailand unless they provide alternate shopping bags for free, like paper bags. Not all plastic bags are evil, there are plastic bags which decay in 2 years.

if it is a money grab ..? re think ...the plastic producing industry shall not be happy with this …. and I think they are the most loosing that money grabbing 

Archived