75 brands to stop providing plastic bags from January 1

snoop1130

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm organised enough to keep a bag in the car for when I go shopping.

Why do you use a private car? You pollute more with your trip to the grocery store than if you used 100 plastic bags. You should bicycle or use public transportation. But you're in hysterics over plastic bags???

Just now, zydeco said:

Why do you use a private car? You pollute more with your trip to the grocery store than if you used 100 plastic bags. You should bicycle or use public transportation. But you're in hysterics over plastic bags???

That's for a later stage …, not al at once … but you have good ideas …! Don't regret later they also implicate that too…..5555

8 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Forests grow and re-generate. Billions of trees are available. Also, paper can be recycled. Paper bags are a practical alternative.

There are quite a few practical alternatives..apart from re-usable plastic bags we have enviro-bags as well...

Great bags for all kinds of stuff.

Peeople line up with their bags as it is quite unusual to buy new bags (i did yesterday and it cost me 50 cents) most are quite proud to be doing their bit..

I am very sure that it is the same in the United States of Paranoia-alias "crackerland"

57 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Just carry reusable bags in your car or under motorbike seat just as most people now do in the UK. If they start charging 10thb per plastic bag, again as they have in the UK, habits will soon change.

People should be made to walk, not drive around in polluting gasoline engine driven cars and trucks. Then habits will really change, won't they?

52 minutes ago, zydeco said:

People should be made to walk, not drive around in polluting gasoline engine driven cars and trucks. Then habits will really change, won't they?

We are talking about plastic bags..which pollute Thailand to an extraordinary degree.

Any steps to remove or diminish this level of pollution are welcome as are more initiatives to manage a most extraordinary situation-ie garbage bins,collections and disposal.

12 hours ago, BestB said:

So if not bags available, how will i take my shopping? Will they be selling carry bags for a reasonable price of like 20-30 baht or do the Makro thing, 99 baht for a bag, which will not fit much in

Why not follow Malaysia and Indonesia, if you want plastic, you pay extra for it. Soon people will either bring their own bags or not use as much and try to pack as much in as possible into one

In Home pro now they sell the bags but the same plastic bag 1 baht. 

36 minutes ago, david555 said:

in the bag case it is both who has to change  consumers and sellers who ever they are , it is proven in my Europe country ...we adapted vey quick as no other option ….maybe you where one of them  there …. we keep recycling our garbage and use own or multi reusable bags …. isn't…it ?

I use my plastic bags to carry my recyclable goods (bottles, cans, etc) down to the recycling bins on our condo's ground floor. I'm not going to take them down individually by hand. I also use them to bring garbage to the garbage chute on our floor. Again, I don't know what the alternative to that is... bring my steak fat and veggie peelings by hand (literally) out there every few hours?  

34 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Maybe because I live deep in the countryside? Perhaps you think I should get a horse, but then you'd say their farts pollute the environment. And I admire your apparent ability to balance 6-10 bags of shopping on a bicycle. I couldn't. And please quote where I was 'in hysterics' about plastic bags. All I said was it makes sense to take your own bag to the supermarket, as millions do in Europe and have done for many years. Thailand is taking the first step to catching up.

But plastic bags from supermarkets are probably the smallest pollutant of all because, as another poster wrote, the ones given out here disintegrate into dust within a few months. It is the companies, mostly international, that need to revert to glass containers for drinks, milk etc. Like it used to be. They are a far greater problem than flimsy, short-lived bags from Big C.

8 minutes ago, Docno said:

I use my plastic bags to carry my recyclable goods (bottles, cans, etc) down to the recycling bins on our condo's ground floor. I'm not going to take them down individually by hand. I also use them to bring garbage to the garbage chute on our floor. Again, I don't know what the alternative to that is... bring my steak fat and veggie peelings by hand (literally) out there every few hours?  

So … you do the same as me ( carry my recyclable goods (bottles, cans, etc) down to the recycling bins…) funny to see that...

I think those against the plastic ban don't realize it is about diminishing the bags , ban all plastic use for ever what it is made , is for this moment unrealistic , but it has to be given a start to serious reduce and hoping Thai government make some environment friendly garbage destruction plants and sewer cleaning stations on populated areas  instead of those expensive military toy's

12 hours ago, Yinn said:

The paper bag.

Dad tell me before plastic bag popular, the shop all use paper bag. 

Human can survive with no plastic bag. Not panic. We be ok.

i use already. No problem. 

We can do it!

And many years ago the reason we stopped using paper bags was to save all of the trees that were being cut down to make them!  If we hadn't switched to paper back then today's environmental situation would be far worse than it is now!

What Australia discovered was that upon enforcing new rules that there were literally millions of plastic bags in "reserve" and squirrelled away. These bags have now come into play and are being used for shopping and trash.

A win for everyone concerned as there is no use for people hoarding plastic.

There is no doubt that these ideas shall seep thru' to "crackerland" in the end.

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Have the groceries delivered, if the service is avaiable....far more convenient...

Not everbody lives in an area where delivery is avaiable and the daily outdoor markets certainly won't deliver.

Last week at Tops/Central Plaza Kohn Kaen on No Bag Day each register had an ample supply of cardboard cartons for customers to load their groceries in. My guess is that these cartons would be normally be recycled in bulk by Tops but as one-offs to the customer they would just get tossed, Nice try to be helpful but going in the wrong direction.

7 minutes ago, wayned said:

And many years ago the reason we stopped using paper bags was to save all of the trees that were being cut down to make them!  If we hadn't switched to paper back then today's environmental situation would be far worse than it is now!

Now they recycle paper. 

10 minutes ago, wayned said:

No.

Billions of plastic bag now everywhere, on the land, in the sea, chemical burn in the air.

Paper the worm can eat it.

22 minutes ago, khunbillmex said:

Last week at Tops/Central Plaza Kohn Kaen on No Bag Day each register had an ample supply of cardboard cartons for customers to load their groceries in. My guess is that these cartons would be normally be recycled in bulk by Tops but as one-offs to the customer they would just get tossed, Nice try to be helpful but going in the wrong direction.

It has to start somewhere and shopping habits have to change.

It is-as Pavlov-once pointed out about changing patterns of behaviour which you can do.

Even my Thai wife (Pavlov would have despaired about Thai wives.????) has her little collection of enviro-bags.

2 hours ago, engamann said:

Yinn its not the plastic bag that are the problem , im from Scandinavia and you almost 

not see any plastic bag in the streets , the woods , the ocean etc etc because from when 

we are child we learn to put the garebage in the garebage bin its not so hard.

Then where it go? The bin eat it? Or not?

2 hours ago, engamann said:

this is wrong , maybe your Thai goverment actualy should start teach the Thai people 

What this story subject? Is start already.

If you don't receive a free plastic bag, don't shop any more at this place. 

Sure they will be devastated. 

They are distressed at Immigration as well, due to all the people who left Thailand because of the rules changing. 

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

She'll wipe that grin right off her face when she needs to carry three or four of those paper bags some 300 or 400 meters to a taxi.

Can just use this one. Every supermarket in Thailand have. 

Is very clever....same Yinn do.

5D84AE00-F210-4E28-85FC-6B460180A7CC.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe because I live deep in the countryside? Perhaps you think I should get a horse, but then you'd say their farts pollute the environment.

Yes, I want you to change the conditions under which you live. In fact, I demand it.  Just as you and others are demanding that I change mine. Currently, I walk the 6 km round trip to my local Foodland. This is made possible because I can carry three or four plastic bags all at the same time. I don't drive a car or truck, so my three or four bags contribute far less to the carbon footprint than your paper bags which you transport via internal combustion engine. It's the same way for a lot of Thais around my area. They can tie up three or four plastic bags on a bicycle and never pollute with an engine or contribute to traffic snarls and large parking lots, which themselves are environmentally destructive. Sorry you live in the countryside. I'll stop telling you how to live your life when you stop telling me how to live mine.

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Can just use this one. Every supermarket in Thailand have. 

Is very clever....same Yinn do.

5D84AE00-F210-4E28-85FC-6B460180A7CC.jpeg

Can't get it up the escalator from the bottom floor to the taxi stand at Central Pinklao.

4 minutes ago, zydeco said:

I walk the 6 km round trip to my local Foodland. This is made possible because I can carry three or four plastic bags all at the same time. I don't drive a car or truck,

I am 71+,I walk also, never had or drive a car or motorbike in my life. 

For shopping I use this :

00159528304021____1__640x640.jpg

20 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

If you don't receive a free plastic bag, don't shop any more at this place. 

Sure they will be devastated. 

They are distressed at Immigration as well, due to all the people who left Thailand because of the rules changing. 

Hmmm.....no more free plastic bags for you fella...,

Just now, Yinn said:

Need this one.

63796953-D081-4D6E-85FD-75B9CA994DED.jpeg

EF93CDF4-2965-440E-AE2A-F9E32C562D7C.jpeg

That would be nice. But it's a moving ramp, not an escalator with steps. Not only that but the escalator at Central Pinklao requires you to walk up a short flight of stairs to get to the escalator. Look, I really wish it were possible to directly move everything to the taxi from the store. But they system, in many places, is simply not constructed for that. 

Archived