75 brands to stop providing plastic bags from January 1

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well..I will make my peace now.

I congratulate the Thai gov't and the Thai private interests for trying to rein in this curse-for a curse it truly is.

I am flummoxed by "farangs" whining that it may inconvenience them...selfish and beyond selfish.

Habits must change...and pray forgive the lack of humour that I have displayed on the subject because the planet is running out of time..unless we want all our wildlife to choke to death on plastic bags.

And then,of course,we will also choke as they burn the residue.

Plastic is good Animals need plastic for a balanced diet....And plastic bags stops global warming too....You can carry your groceries home with plastic bags,have a place to put your kitty litter and save the world at the same time.... 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is all lieing bull#### by business and governments - many say it is a scam and I agree.

Businesses stopped giving us paper bags to 'save the trees' - but the real reason was plastic was cheaper.

Businesses now give us no basg or make us buy a bag  to 'save the environment' - but the real reason is to lower costs.

Governments add taxes to this and that to 'save the environment' - but the real reason is to get more taxes.

Scam:  a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation- usually done to make money.

8 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

I go shopping with my own bag,cheap Charlie to pay for one.so once the message gets thru most people will carry they own.will cut down on plastic waste at lest

Same here,have done for years,a few years ago the 7 eleven staff always had a smile (good to see) when I placed my empty bag on the counter when checking out,not now though,the paper bags are a good idea,but no good for cold things like beer.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

I recommend you for bag this style,

614C87DB-DEA8-4BC6-9AF7-B63294CCD5A1.jpeg

EAA899B3-1F64-4F6B-9AAF-AE94A5EE8670.jpeg

F01B3444-F3E9-4774-9265-1A57B1E6D810.jpeg

2DE849C6-2F3D-4CC7-AAAC-6B82116936C1.jpeg

Half of my groceries would fall out through the holes. Unless . . . they lined that mesh bag with something. You know, something sort of like a plastic bag.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

villa market has old style brown paper bags just like the 1970's for the last few months.

they have a big sign that says "Due to global warming we no longer have plastic bags." not joking.

I have had those paper bags at  Villa Problem is you can only carry 2 or 3 of them They should use the shopping bag style brown paper bags You can carry more that way Wonder if this is going to affect sales in the short term ?

I use plastic bags as kitchen bin liners. So no more plastic bags at the check out..... so I just buy a roll of bin liners and use them !!!    I wonder if the street market vendors will also stop providing plastic bags for the prawns. wet fish , fresh chicken parts ,  offal , cuts of pork and BBQ meats on a stick ?

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Reducing plastic bags = more profit for the retailers,a windfall,

yes I know we should be getting rid of plastic bags,they are evil,

but why not give us an alternative with paper bags.

regards worgeordie

This is the only true, and people who support scammer shops are just idiots.

I won't go shopping anywhere without plastic bags and anybody with a brain should do the same.

3 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

Its very easy to bring bags with you when you go out shopping, we have been doing it for two years, nobody looks at us cross-eyed, you don't even think twice about it once its a habit, problem solved.

and then you buy plastic bags for trash !

so smart !

we need more fully obedient and genius people in this world ❤️

35 minutes ago, rech said:

and then you buy plastic bags for trash !

so smart !

we need more fully obedient and genius people in this world ❤️

Ah yes. You are correct but the only difference is the trash bags that are available are bio-degradable whereas the 7/11, supermarket and others are not.

9 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Just carry reusable bags in your car or under motorbike seat just as most people now do in the UK. If they start charging 10thb per plastic bag, again as they have in the UK, habits will soon change.

Do you really think charging 10bht for bag will turn me into a Nancy, no way Jose.

On 12/3/2019 at 2:02 AM, worgeordie said:

Reducing plastic bags = more profit for the retailers,a windfall,

yes I know we should be getting rid of plastic bags,they are evil,

but why not give us an alternative with paper bags.

regards worgeordie

Fantastic idea  this will SAVE the world !! In QLD.Australia the government banned stores giving out the free light weight plastic bags to customers. However they now sell heavy duty plastic bags for 15 cents each instead.These bags take 50 years to break down.Thats really clever.It is estimated that the big supermarkets are making $80 million dollars A YEAR  out of this...I wonder who lobbied the gov. to bring this law in ??

21 hours ago, Docno said:

Far more plastic goes into the packaging of the products we used to put in those bags than the bags themselves. This is little more than virtue signalling 

but apparently you don’t want to start anywhere at all ?

15 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

It is collected and incinerated in facilities like this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amager_Bakke

Amager Bakke.jpg

That way good for plastics we need. And other rubbish.

Can not stop using plastic 100% yet. (Hope soon)

But better to reduce plastic use. Use papaer bag, paper straw, etc etc.

have paper and just give to worm better than have plastic bag, straw etc and burn it. 

2 hours ago, wavodavo said:

Arent paper bags made from trees ?? But the greenies wont let us cut down trees .What are we gonna do ???

Grow more tree. Tree eat the carbon. Win x2

Not cut the nature tree. Farm the tree for paper.

20 hours ago, zydeco said:

Yes, I want you to change the conditions under which you live. In fact, I demand it.  Just as you and others are demanding that I change mine. Currently, I walk the 6 km round trip to my local Foodland. This is made possible because I can carry three or four plastic bags all at the same time. I don't drive a car or truck, so my three or four bags contribute far less to the carbon footprint than your paper bags which you transport via internal combustion engine. It's the same way for a lot of Thais around my area. They can tie up three or four plastic bags on a bicycle and never pollute with an engine or contribute to traffic snarls and large parking lots, which themselves are environmentally destructive. Sorry you live in the countryside. I'll stop telling you how to live your life when you stop telling me how to live mine.

Good on you for walking but if you can carry 3 or 4 plastic bags (or is that actually 6 or 8 when they double bag it ?) why not carry 2 or 3 enviro bags instead. They are a lot stronger so can carry more per bag, and are more comfortable to use with the wider straps not cutting into your hands like heavy plastic bags do.

16 hours ago, Humpy said:

I use plastic bags as kitchen bin liners. So no more plastic bags at the check out..... so I just buy a roll of bin liners and use them !!!    I wonder if the street market vendors will also stop providing plastic bags for the prawns. wet fish , fresh chicken parts ,  offal , cuts of pork and BBQ meats on a stick ?

Are you deliberately being obtuse, or just illiterate? This article is about member of the Thai Retailers Association stopping the provision of plastic bag. Do you think your local street vendors are part of this association?

Apart from that it has already been announced that wet foods ( ie your fresh chicken and fish) will not be affected by the proposed government ban either.

As I have said earlier in this thread, apparently the average person in Thailand uses 4 checkout type plastic bags per day (& another 4 from markets/street vendors). Nobody should need 4 garbage bags per day per person.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

That way good for plastics we need. And other rubbish.

Can not stop using plastic 100% yet. (Hope soon)

But better to reduce plastic use. Use papaer bag, paper straw, etc etc.

have paper and just give to worm better than have plastic bag, straw etc and burn it. 

So better tell all the" Uncles in Bangkok" to spend Thai treasure money on those instead of their new army toy's Christmas list 

Archived