BANGKOK
Bournville

I so fed up with stupid dangerous drivers

On 12/6/2019 at 10:59 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

The Thai driving statistics ............................

One has to think that guys on here are using statistics like a drunk uses a lamppost. More for support, than illumination.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

All the deaths per 100,000 stats gathered by WHO include motorcyclists and other "vulnerable" categories.

The problem is that many of those talking about road safety in Thailand especially on T.V. fixate a n the single overall stat with breaking it down or more importantly, looking at the plethora of other stats provided by WHO.

I would suggest that thoroughly studying this WHO report would make a good starting point to get an overall picture ....

https://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2018/en/

For a start you'll realise that road safety is more than just a driving issue it is regarded as a HEALTH issue.

image.png.bc9fc1ea98a77129d4214da9b9d086d4.png

6 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

This why some foreigners arw ull-advised to drive in places like Thailand, making assumptions based on driving elsewhere is foolhardy in the extreme. No matter what country you are in.

I have been driving in Thailand for many years and seen the poor quality of driving of some motorists. I also adapt my driving style whilst there, expecting to be under-cut on the inside, sudden braking and so on. I also HAVE to drive given where we are. On this occasion the fault was definitely not mine, NO-ONE, Thai or foreigner would have expected the bike to overtake me in the U-turn slip lane, this was sheer stupidity on his part, having said that, had I hit the bike I'm pretty sure I would be to blame.

But yes, driving in Thailand is a whole different ball game and no place for a novice.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:51 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Am I the only one for whom Thai driving is not an issue? When I learned to drive it was in a busy city. Since then I have driven and been a passenger in many countries and they have been a lot worse than Thailand. I assume the complainers, who find Thai driving a challenge, are essentially country people who would be equally unnerved in London or Tripoli or New York or Riyadh? I have seen more dangerous situations in one week in Saudi than in 25 years in Thailand. One thing I dont understand about people who find driving stressful is: why do it?

I agree. Like you I have driven in many countries around the world and never had I been more on edge than driving in Vietnam!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I have been driving in Thailand for many years and seen the poor quality of driving of some motorists. I also adapt my driving style whilst there, expecting to be under-cut on the inside, sudden braking and so on. I also HAVE to drive given where we are. On this occasion the fault was definitely not mine, NO-ONE, Thai or foreigner would have expected the bike to overtake me in the U-turn slip lane, this was sheer stupidity on his part, having said that, had I hit the bike I'm pretty sure I would be to blame.

But yes, driving in Thailand is a whole different ball game and no place for a novice.

So a one-off, isolated incident that could have occurred anywhere in the world.

Just an irrelevant anecdote in the form of confirmation bias?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

On a 2.5 hour journey in from the Airport in the UK (traveling on the motorways) I see maybe one or two 'events' which make me 'clench' - someones done something a little silly or stupidly tailgating a lorry etc, plus of course the usual 'middle laner' just sitting there oblivious. 

On a 40 minute journey in from the Airport in Thailand (on the Tollway) I see a lot more 'events' which make me 'clench' someone does something which ranges from a little silly, some stupid tailgating to some absolutely idiotic manoeuvre which defy all sense and logic. 

Is this confirmation bias? perhaps, but I'm not specifically looking to spot these things. 

My own personal anecdotes - I see idiotic things happening on Thailands roads daily, I personally think they are more dangerous than the roads in the UK, in fact I'm certain of it.

That said, I'm also certain the hideous stats 'don't apply to me' (on my motorcycle or in my car) as riding and driving defensively removes us from the high-risk group. 

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is this confirmation bias?

Yes, that is precisely what it is.

So also don't seem to understand that you cant exclude yourself from the stats.

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Are you saying that Thai drivers are no worse than others in the world because if you are then you really need your head screwed on.

I've seen countless near misses, crashes and sadly fatalities in Thailand, some (if not most) of which could of been avoided if the drivers weren't driving carelessly and dangerously.

Maybe it isn't me who is biased.

Edited by Chelseafan

On 12/4/2019 at 9:50 AM, Airbagwill said:

Like I said, everyone who drives a car or truck thinks they're an expert on road safety. 

Yes, they do don't they.

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Yes, that is precisely what it is.

So also don't seem to understand that you cant exclude yourself from the stats.

IF everyone who drives from the Airport to their home and sees fewer incidents in The UK than on the equivalent journey in Thailand, is this still confirmation bias?

Is it also confirmation bias is Thailands roads are more dangerous and more silly stuff does actually happen here?... or is it just confirmation, even if it is anecdotal?

Edited by richard_smith237

just drive like they do...can't beat them, join them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mike787 said:

just drive like they do...can't beat them, join them!

When in Rome.............

Indonesians are no better or worse than Thais at driving.

Thais are more affluent and have in general a better and less crowded road system so the average speeds are a bit higher. That they drive around with gay abandon at higher speeds is a result of this. 

The fact that everyone thinks they are a good driver is evident by  almost 200 posts on the subject. Me? I'm terrible as I drive more or less like a local. I.e. to suit local conditions. I overtake on the left when necessary, turn left on red lights, do an occasional impromptu U turn. All of which are within the law and expected by other road users.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF everyone who drives from the Airport to their home and sees fewer incidents in The UK than on the equivalent journey in Thailand, is this still confirmation bias?

Is it also confirmation bias is Thailands roads are more dangerous and more silly stuff does actually happen here?... or is it just confirmation, even if it is anecdotal?

I think you need to understand confirmation bias.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence especially when dealing in large numbers.

17 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Are you saying that Thai drivers are no worse than others in the world because if you are then you really need your head screwed on.

I've seen countless near misses, crashes and sadly fatalities in Thailand, some (if not most) of which could of been avoided if the drivers weren't driving carelessly and dangerously.

Maybe it isn't me who is biased.

Clearly a case of confirmation bias......and that's putting it mildly.

23 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Clearly a case of confirmation bias......and that's putting it mildly.

If you say so.