Jump to content
BANGKOK
Bournville

I so fed up with stupid dangerous drivers

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Hmmmm? Isn't there something about traffic on the right giving way?

 

As we all know this, isn't it called normal?

 

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Hmmmm? Isn't there something about traffic on the right giving way?

 

As we all know this, isn't it called normal?

Read your Highway Code - the left has priority by default on Thai roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

 

Read your Highway Code - the left has priority by default on Thai roads.

Yes exactly a guy coming out of a side-road turning left into the main road has priority. The vehicle on the right has to give way. So normal here. 

 

The only thing that irks me is the scooters trying to turn left between me and the kerb/curb when I am turning left. I just ignore them and carry on.

Edited by VocalNeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
58 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

 

Read your Highway Code - the left has priority by default on Thai roads.

Yes exactly a guy coming out of a side-road turning left into the main road has priority. The vehicle on the right has to give way. So normal here. 

 

The only thing that irks me is the scooters trying to turn left between me and the kerb/curb when I am turning left. I just ignore them and carry on.

 

Apologies gents but that is completely wrong and a commonly miss-understood and miss-quoted myth amongst expat drivers in Thailand. 

 

A vehicle exiting a side road on the left does not have right of way at all. 

 

The Vehicle entering from the left only has right of way on roads of 'equal status' and only when both vehicles arrive at a junction simultaneously and when a principle roadway is not marked 

i.e. at crossroads in many provincial towns across Thailand. Most crossroads will still have a line and 'stop sign' indicating both vehicles have to stop, before entering the junction, precedence in this case should be given to the vehicle on the left. 

 

Every vehicle has to give way to another vehicle traveling along a road of 'higher status' i.e. the Vehicles turning off the minor-road (side road) onto the Principle roadway still has to give way to other cars on that road (i.e. give way to the right). 

 

Vehicles also have to give way to the right on traffic roundabouts. 

 

Quote

Title 6: Driving through Junctions or Circles

Section 71 (500B)
[If, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of principle roadway in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]
 

 

 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry was not on about a Junction or roundabout, more like this but coming out from a sidestreet. Guess we are all right 🙂

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Sorry was not on about a Junction or roundabout, more like this but coming out from a sidestreet. Guess we are all right 🙂

 

 

 

 

An example of absolute mindlessness, combined with stupidity and carelessness.

 

And just when we think things can't get any more idiotic the Pickup-van comes along with healthy does of pure and utter fvckwittery.

 

---------- 

On the 'Give way to the left' debate: 

 

The person entering the main / primary / principle roadway has to stop and give way to traffic traveling along the main / primary / principle roadway. 

 

The person riding along the principle road way does not have to give way to someone entering from the left from a minor roadway (side road). 

 

 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A vehicle exiting a side road on the left does not have right of way at all. 

Sadly it does!

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The person riding along the principle road way does not have to give way to someone entering from the left from a minor roadway (side road). 

There is no designation of primary roadway - expats are making an assumption here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"[A principle roadway is announced by the traffic officer and installed with indicative traffic signs.]" Thai driving laws

 

Similar systems exist in Netherlands and France but they of course are clearly signed

 

NB - "pulled out IN FRONT OF ME"..........the other driver got there first!

On most roads priority is from the left.

On roundabouts, priority is from the right.

 

"Section 71 (500B)

[If, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go

through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on

the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of "principle roadway" in

which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]

 

“Section 71 (500B)

[If, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of “principle roadway” in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]

 

This then appears to be the law - from 2522 (1979)”

You use the expression "Equal roads" which by default in Thailand means all roads... In UK and USA we are hardwired into the concept of some roads "naturally" having priority.

In Thailand the road has to be designated.  This maybe by bylaw, sign or "competent police officer".

And this is why I keep harping on about the need to totally reform, re-engineer and re-design all the roads in Thailand. There is in fact no signage on thereafter at eye level to let motorist know if they have priority or not, by default it is to the right.

However, as you drive through a town, I'm sure you are aware of the blue Soi numbering signs on posts along the road ... take note that every now and then one of those signs actually doesn't say "Soi" it says  "Sai" ... that road definitely has priority. What your chances are of spotting this in a moving car are, I don't know.

Of course Thai motorists are aware of these conundrums and drive accordingly, but foreign motorists in their arrogance continue to drive according to the perceived "good driving practices" they learned back home.

Edited by Airbagwill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

An example of absolute mindlessness, combined with stupidity and carelessness.

 

And just when we think things can't get any more idiotic the Pickup-van comes along with healthy does of pure and utter fvckwittery.

 

---------- 

On the 'Give way to the left' debate: 

 

The person entering the main / primary / principle roadway has to stop and give way to traffic traveling along the main / primary / principle roadway. 

 

The person riding along the principle road way does not have to give way to someone entering from the left from a minor roadway (side road). 

 

 

"Side street" is a junction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

There is no designation of primary roadway - expats are making an assumption here.

When I took the theory part of the driving test, in Thai language, in September 2019 ทางเอก (tang aik - primary/main road) and ทางโท (tang toe - secondary road) were mentioned repeatedly in the questions.  They are also mentioned repeatedly in the Road Traffic Act 2522 and its subsequent amendments.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

There is no designation of primary roadway - expats are making an assumption here.

Wrong, they are designed with a 'stop' sign at the junction which enters the principle roadway and also with a 'give way line'....

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:
8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A vehicle exiting a side road on the left does not have right of way at all. 

Sadly it does!

Airbag, you have made an excellent contribution to this thread so far - but on this you are so very very wrong - read the Thai Land Traffic Act - it specifies principle road ways and when vehicles should give way and to where etc - you have quoted it, but its seems not understood it.

 

Your comments are in direct contraction of the Land Traffic Act. 

 

 

Your assumption that 'All vehicles must give way to vehicles entering the road way from the left' is not only preposterous, its outlandishly dangerous. 

 

What you are suggesting is that when traveling along a two lane highway at 100kmh I have to come to an abrupt halt because a car wants to pull out from a minor road to the left?

 

This is wrong and is the very reason those traveling along a 'principle roadway' are given priority.

 

 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal gripe is Thais taking a left turn in their cars.  The approach to the junction appears normal then all of a sudden it's 'Driving Miss Daisy' and slows to 2mph.  What the hell is that about?  I suspect lack of confidence and lack of a decent driving test.  A highly dangerous manoeuvre and extremely frustrating.  If their on their bikes then it's the complete reverse.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Like a Thai ever took any notice of the Traffic Act.  😐

there is of course an element of enforcement but it is an old rule that has been ingrained in Thai road culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...