They think?

my cockatiel has enough brains;

- to climb a little ladder placed in front of it

- and seems aware that the cockatiel in the mirror cannot hold a conversation

-  so... anything is possible!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I drive in Thailand I end up cursing fools on the road -- as a comparison I drove recently in a European country which was an absolute pleasure to drive in mainly the UK. I used to love driving but here in Bangkok I despise it.

I try to remember that everyone on the roads here has the same experience.

Bad Thai drivers is obviously the problem.... But guess what, all Thai drivers have the same experience as you and me. They are also all surrounded by idiots, just like you and me. 

This is why there's so much petty and anger on the roads, because everyone hates each other on the roads here... With some good reason...

I drive here every day and can not remember a day without a dangerous situation. 

Many Farangs might leave their brain in the airport on arrival. But seems most Thais leave theirs behind when they drive.

The OP must have realised by now that a motorbike is of no consequence to larger vehicles  ( especially trucks, Benz, Minibuses etc. )

If you are so concerned- buy a car- preferably with every safety feature possible and at least ten air bags .

It’s the only sensible thing to do. 

You need to be spiderlike with 8 eyes for driving here.  Just the other day I am going 40 -50 KPH and a cycle was coming at me on his side of the road doing the same thing.  No problems.  Then to my left out comes this pick-up who crossed in front of me to make a right turn.  Both of us on cycles have to apply brakes dragging our back tired to keep from T-boning this woman idiot on both side of her truck.  There were no vehicles behind me or the other cycle.  I sped up to catch her at a light and spoke all the Thai I could about being stupid and/or blind.  She just looked at me like, "what did I do?"  Unbelievable.

20 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

They were out in force today...

There out in force everyday in my experience! I have been driving here for over 30 years, there is never a time when I make a trip that at a minimum I don't observe an accident waiting to happen, I have lost count of how many dead bodies I have seen covered over by the roadside! Why? due selfish self centred drivers who barely possess the skill to make it from A to B in one piece!

This is one of the many diseases of this people that seems to have come out of the caves yesterday, if they then see that driving the vehicle is a farang, then it seems they do it on purpose and they want to cause an accident!
A mass of rude children who don't think about the consequences, some call them ... IDIOTI!

What's the problem ? People who ride a bike somehow decided that they want to die faster than people driving a car, right ?

Everybody choose his life !

For me the problem is the bikes idiots who do not have light, especially on the rear. The day when I will drive on one of these idiots I will just escape as I do not talk to idiots.

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

The OP must have realised by now that a motorbike is of no consequence to larger vehicles  ( especially trucks, Benz, Minibuses etc. )

If you are so concerned- buy a car- preferably with every safety feature possible and at least ten air bags .

It’s the only sensible thing to do. 

Exactly !

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

sorry - - typo - 

"Seriously - You don't know why?"

Why I do not know the reason for you blaming the OP for others idiotic driving? Well because I am failing to see how it’s his fault. So maybe you can explain

1 hour ago, hobz said:

I try to remember that everyone on the roads here has the same experience.

Bad Thai drivers is obviously the problem.... But guess what, all Thai drivers have the same experience as you and me. They are also all surrounded by idiots, just like you and me. 

This is why there's so much petty and anger on the roads, because everyone hates each other on the roads here... With some good reason...

I do not hate everyone.  I only hate idiots who do not know and do not follow simple road rules 

Devote 5% of your concentration on what your doing and the other 95% anticipating what they will do. Incidentally there are a lot of expats that have gone native when it comes to driving. Be warned. Glad you escaped I injured this time.

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

You are 100% wrong - you just don't understand the stats

80% re vulnerable road users - the stats you refer to are deaths - if you look the percentage of private 4-wheeled vehicles they are about the same as the national average for the USA.

Furthermore the tertiary source you quote is also inaccurate as it is misquoting deaths per 100k as 'accidents" a totally different statistic.

It is a problem with many people's opinions on road safety in Thailand is that they are unable to make head nor tail of the  reality

yes for sure i don't understand

good for you feel sure and secure in your 4 wheels vehicle

i just hope for you don't be unlucky with Somchai in his 12 wheels truck

or a crazy minivan with his traditionnal ''brake failure'' (Aka i feel asleep at the wheel)

i don't know for the USA but in Europe these accidents are very rare because the rules

and the enforcements are very stricts. In Thailand these accidents are very common because

the rules aren't stricts and the enforcements don't exists.

It's a fact, but you can stay in deny, no problem, i can not waste my time to argue about it

9 hours ago, RobbyXNorway said:

I have much the same experience here. Thais are the worst drivers in general I have ever seen anywhere in the world.

Probably anywhere in the universe...I made a new years resolution to not get annoyed any more....lasted about a week. They have (90%+) absolutely no idea about how to drive either safely or courteously. If I ever leave Thailand this along with the burning will be the 2 key reasons 

While not applying to driving inThailand it demonstrates that Thais don’t have a “lock” on dangerous nor bad driving habits.

Must have been 30+ years ago and I am going with the flow of highway traffic during rush hour near San Francisco, CA. I see this guy trail gating within inches of the car in front of him until they move out of the way. Dangerous, illegal, confrontational driving. He gets right up on my rear bumper and starts riding me. I pull over but give him the finger and shout a few choice words while moving out of his way. What does he do? In the middle of rush hour with 3 lanes filled with traffic he slams on his brakes in the fast lane. Everyone has to serve to avoid him and it is a miracle it didn’t cause a pile up. That wasn’t good enough for him. He jams his car in reverse and starts backing up thru traffic to get to me. Cars are serving, total pandemonium on the highway. This guy seriously didn’t care if he killed himself or anyone else in trying to get back to me. Fortunately I was able to exit on a off ramp before you could reached me. Lesson learned- drive defensively, get out of the way and don’t get upset. 

28 minutes ago, Onrai said:

While not applying to driving inThailand it demonstrates that Thais don’t have a “lock” on dangerous nor bad driving habits.

Must have been 30+ years ago and I am going with the flow of highway traffic during rush hour near San Francisco, CA. I see this guy trail gating within inches of the car in front of him until they move out of the way. Dangerous, illegal, confrontational driving. He gets right up on my rear bumper and starts riding me. I pull over but give him the finger and shout a few choice words while moving out of his way. What does he do? In the middle of rush hour with 3 lanes filled with traffic he slams on his brakes in the fast lane. Everyone has to serve to avoid him and it is a miracle it didn’t cause a pile up. That wasn’t good enough for him. He jams his car in reverse and starts backing up thru traffic to get to me. Cars are serving, total pandemonium on the highway. This guy seriously didn’t care if he killed himself or anyone else in trying to get back to me. Fortunately I was able to exit on a off ramp before you could reached me. Lesson learned- drive defensively, get out of the way and don’t get upset. 

Between the 1950s and 1980s most western or developed nations had similar death stats to Thailand but that was without the 80% contribution of vulnerable road users we get in Thailand.

Does one seriously think all those European, Japanese and American drivers all changed and  became good drivers?

There are obviously other factors at work.

22 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes to drive here require 7 or 8 eyes all around the head

even if you are very careful, you need to be aware at every milisecond

there is often a moron out of nowhere and at high speed, busy on his phone

i drive a lot in Pattaya and i manage to avoid at least 2 or 3 accidents everyday.

Exactly why after 45 years of driving am retired from it. Been there done that.

Am in no hurry to die or be maimed.

Spend my time and money on much more sensual and therapeutic pastimes :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

yes for sure i don't understand

good for you feel sure and secure in your 4 wheels vehicle

i just hope for you don't be unlucky with Somchai in his 12 wheels truck

or a crazy minivan with his traditionnal ''brake failure'' (Aka i feel asleep at the wheel)

i don't know for the USA but in Europe these accidents are very rare because the rules

and the enforcements are very stricts. In Thailand these accidents are very common because

the rules aren't stricts and the enforcements don't exists.

It's a fact, but you can stay in deny, no problem, i can not waste my time to argue about it

Its pretty clear you aren't familiar with either the Thai or European stats.

You have now changed your premise and have decided to blame drivers of other types of vehicles. I'm well aware of driving regulations in Europe and the huge disparity between road deaths there and here.

However that wasn't the argument you made in the first place.

It seems to be you are basing your opinons on road safety on nothing more than pure assumptions and then looking around in the hope that something to support them might stick.

This is a common problem when people talk about road safety..... Just because they drive a car or truck they think they are experts. The fact they go on and on about nothing but other drivers just goes to show they dont have an inkling of what road safety involves.

I wish people would do less searching and more researching before barking up the wrong tree

22 hours ago, seajae said:

unfortunately too many thai road users think of themselves only and dont think about other road users, this is one of  the biggest problems in Thailand, they have no road sense at all, do not know the road rules or just ignore them to suit what they want to do. You take your life in your hands when you use the roads here, they go straight through stop signs at speed, same with red lights, no indicators, they just pull out without looking or caring and to turn left or right they go out wide on the road to do so, even cutting into the other side of the road, many drive like they are brain dead

unfortunately too many most thai road users think of themselves only and don't think about other road user s, this is one of  the biggest problems in Thailand, they have no road sense at all, do not know the road rules or just ignore them to suit what they want to do. You take your life in your hands when you use the roads here, they go straight through stop signs at speed, same with red lights, no indicators, they just pull out without looking or caring and to turn left or right they go out wide on the road to do so, even cutting into the other side of the road, many most drive like they are brain dead

I really don't mind driving here but it can be stressful at times due to other drivers doing stupid things.

Whenever I want to waste an hour or so I watch "Bad Driving Thailand" on YouTube, there are some amazing things captured on dashcams these days.

23 hours ago, seajae said:

unfortunately too many thai road users think of themselves only and dont think about other road users, this is one of  the biggest problems in Thailand, they have no road sense at all, do not know the road rules or just ignore them to suit what they want to do. You take your life in your hands when you use the roads here, they go straight through stop signs at speed, same with red lights, no indicators, they just pull out without looking or caring and to turn left or right they go out wide on the road to do so, even cutting into the other side of the road, many drive like they are brain dead

Blah blah blah. Learn to drive according to the conditions and that includes the unexpected. Not making excuses for <deleted> driving but if you want to live a bit longer get used to local conditions.

Toto ,Kansas etc.

23 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes to drive here require 7 or 8 eyes all around the head

even if you are very careful, you need to be aware at every milisecond

there is often a moron out of nowhere and at high speed, busy on his phone

i drive a lot in Pattaya and i manage to avoid at least 2 or 3 accidents everyday.

Good you have learnt to drive according to local conditions. Many haven't.

Yeah, happens all the time. I get overtaken when turning left, on roundabouts, at red traffic lights when slowing down ...anywhere will do just to get in front.

just be professional and tolerate these so called drivers. Don’t tango with them!

Archived