I so fed up with stupid dangerous drivers

Bournville

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It sounds?... a great text to voice application you must have there. 

Anyway, No, he shouldn't walk !!! haven't you been following the pedestrian crossing threads recently ???

It seems as though the Op narrowly avoided an accident caused by an impatient idiot, he's right to remind himself and the rest of us be extra cautious.

It's farang who are the idiots, and brainless = failure to adapt. If you need to turn right, pull off to the left side of the road first. Somnamna, you really know how to make truck drivers angry, very lucky you're alive when you don't obey the local culture. Other drivers may not be so kind next time. Stop the neocolonialism, adapt, or die the Darwinian way. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, zyphodb said:

They haven't forgotten anything, they think that they're saving their battery, I kid you not...

How does that work?

Keeping your lights on saves the battery? I think you have that back to front.

Nice Thai bash though, even though misguided.

Back to the barstool with you.

I told my gf: isn’t it amazing, people use the same logic of driving/riding for walking in shopping mall.

Ammmmeizing man.

By the way, I always slow down and pull to the left or stop and let the morons, drunks or druggies pass by. This way you do a huge favor to your nerves and live longer. 

Haha Come to Saudi if you find a car without a dent, it will still be in the showroom! every corner has the curbstones displaced, every slip road has signs, et., wiped out, every speed bump has an assortment of car parts along side it. and there is this beautiful deep valley just outside Riyadh, that glitters and shines from the thousands of scrapped cars decorating it that it looks from a distance a beautiful metropolitan city.  Thailand is peaceful compared to here!

28 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

It's farang who are the idiots, and brainless = failure to adapt. If you need to turn right, pull off to the left side of the road first. Somnamna, you really know how to make truck drivers angry, very lucky you're alive when you don't obey the local culture. Other drivers may not be so kind next time. Stop the neocolonialism, adapt, or die the Darwinian way. 

The statistics below show safest places/ least idiots and most dangerous places/ most idiots...เข้าใจ?
  • The 10 safest places to drive

• San Marino - 0 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants
  • Micronesia - 1.8 
  • Maldives - 1.9
  • Norway - 2.9
  • Sweden - 3
  • Denmark - 3
  • Palestinian territories - 3.2
  • Israel - 3.3
  • Switzerland - 3.4
  • UK - 3.5
  • The 10 most dangerous places to drive

• Eritrea - 48.4 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants
  • Dominican Republic - 41.7 
  • Libya - 40.5
  • Thailand - 38.1
  • Venezuela - 37.2
  • Nigeria - 33.7
  • South Africa - 31.9
  • Iraq - 31.5
  • Guinea-Bissau - 31.2
  • Oman - 30.4

On 12/2/2019 at 8:47 PM, Lacessit said:

Thais appear to have very little spatial awareness

Thai don't have any awareness at all....

I wear headphones for some weeks now, all day long because my neighbours pets drive me crazy....After a month i got earinfection from the headphones so i decided to tell them about it...he made the gesture that i should wear my headphones again...

So alright, i showed him what noise is...i have many powertools and started when he came home.....after 3 days the pets were gone!

1 hour ago, OOTAI said:

I really don't mind driving here but it can be stressful at times due to other drivers doing stupid things.

Whenever I want to waste an hour or so I watch "Bad Driving Thailand" on YouTube, there are some amazing things captured on dashcams these days.

You do realise that is simply an exercise in confirmation bias?

7 minutes ago, domomc said:
The statistics below show safest places/ least idiots and most dangerous places/ most idiots...เข้าใจ?
  • The 10 safest places to drive

• San Marino - 0 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants
  • Micronesia - 1.8 
  • Maldives - 1.9
  • Norway - 2.9
  • Sweden - 3
  • Denmark - 3
  • Palestinian territories - 3.2
  • Israel - 3.3
  • Switzerland - 3.4
  • UK - 3.5
  • The 10 most dangerous places to drive

• Eritrea - 48.4 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants
  • Dominican Republic - 41.7 
  • Libya - 40.5
  • Thailand - 38.1
  • Venezuela - 37.2
  • Nigeria - 33.7
  • South Africa - 31.9
  • Iraq - 31.5
  • Guinea-Bissau - 31.2
  • Oman - 30.4

These stats show nothing of the sort....unless you have the education and critical thinking level of a 10 yeàr old.

37 minutes ago, Thian said:

Thai don't have any awareness at all....

I wear headphones for some weeks now, all day long because my neighbours pets drive me crazy....After a month i got ear infection from the headphones so i decided to tell them about it...he made the gesture that i should wear my headphones again...

So alright, i showed him what noise is...i have many power tools and started when he came home.....after 3 days the pets were gone!

You won one! Can I borrow your power tools?

Is it some bhuddist belief that you aren't in control of your own destiny?  I've never seen in any country the total lack of awareness or concern for others that I see every day here.

"Yes to drive here require 7 or 8 eyes all around the head

even if you are very careful, you need to be aware at every milisecond

there is often a moron out of nowhere and at high speed, busy on his phone

i drive a lot in Pattaya and i manage to avoid at least 2 or 3 accidents everyday."

All you guys whinging about driving here....stay off the farken roads then if your so worried about all the other road users.....sit on your puter and just have a whinge about how much beer chang or leo has gone up in the last xx years !!! 

NEWSFLASH: it's not the UK or USA or Aus or Europe or wherever the fark you're from !!!

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:
hours ago, RobbyXNorway said:

I have much the same experience here. Thais are the worst drivers in general I have ever seen anywhere in the world.

You obviously haven’t spent any time driving in India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam or Africa. Even my Thailand girlfriend who quoted statistics ad naeseam about Thailand having the worst drivers changed her opinion after driving in Sri Lanka for 2 weeks. 

Same Old Same Old - the geriatric, dribble-your-soup, whiners, snivelers, and complainers beat this horse to death so often it is laughable.

Driving here make you (more) crazy - easy. Don't drive.

Let others who quite enjoy the experience have the road to themselves.

I own 6 bikes, 2 cars and find it to be just another day in paradise.

Glad it is not the Nanny State I left behind

25 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Same Old Same Old - the geriatric, dribble-your-soup, whiners, snivelers, and complainers beat this horse to death so often it is laughable.

Driving here make you (more) crazy - easy. Don't drive.

Let others who quite enjoy the experience have the road to themselves.

I own 6 bikes, 2 cars and find it to be just another day in paradise.

Glad it is not the Nanny State I left behind

Your post is very confusing, please explain what you boasting about having 6 bikes 2 cars got to do with stupid dangerous drivers.????

Easy - I ride 6 different bikes, drive 2 different cars, and have no problem with what you - and others call - 'Stupid, Dangerous Drivers'

Just as many in every country of the world. People who call Thai drivers the worst don't get around much.

Try driving in Africa, Middle east - hell Vancouver if you want examples.

This coming from a person who drove Class One - what the Poms call HGV - since 1972

11 hours ago, emptypockets said:

How does that work?

Keeping your lights on saves the battery? I think you have that back to front.

Nice Thai bash though, even though misguided.

Back to the barstool with you.

So have you actually asked any Thais why they don't switch their lights on in low light conditions then? Thought not...

I have, and thats the answer I've been given on more than one occasion so you know where you can stick your barstool comment don't you...

50 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

So have you actually asked any Thais why they don't switch their lights on in low light conditions then? Thought not...

I have, and thats the answer I've been given on more than one occasion so you know where you can stick your barstool comment don't you...

I think you mean do switch their lights of in low light conditions. Theory being less torque rquired to turn the alternator.

Not only in Thailand, had a friend, many years ago, who made the same claims in the UK. Also had a friend who would drive inches behind trucks on the motorway. Why? Uses less petrol.

Crazy driving isn't exclusive to Thailand but it certainly leads the field. And yes @canthai55 I have driven in both Africa and the Middle East.

It's about time the expat "driving experts" (not even road safety!) - took a long hard look at their Dunning Kruger -like selves.......

- “Thai roads are dangerous and all Thai drivers are reckless morons”.

Just take a moment to consider how people who say things like this see themselves and other road users. Indeed can they be aware of, or appreciate the existence of, even half of the other road users they are co-existing with?

“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”

How people form their opinions on driving can often be quite tenuous. Yet they then talk as if they are authorities on the subject  - Why? - If they go to a hospital or clinic and a man in a white coat tells them to do something, they will do it unquestioningly - even if it’s quite personal...but when it comes to driving (like teaching) everyone’s an expert...and better than all other road users to boot.

Foreigners who drive in Thailand frequently turn on the vitriol when it comes to talking about their fellow roads users...automatically excluding themselves from the equation and concomitantly implying that their driving skills are far superior to those of any Thai people.

In Thailand, foreigners who DON’T drive seem to be even more vociferous.

If we are to believe the non- Thais posting on forums like this then we have to conclude that everyone is better than the average driver! Which obviously cannot be the case...

“The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.” – D. Barry Pulitzer prizewinner & columnist

For example these were some observations resulting from research done by the Centre for Transport and Society - UK....

The public know that driver behaviour is a major contributory factor in the vast majority of road accidents...

(Cauzard, 2003) 

But there is a consistent view that OTHERS drive in a more risky manner than individuals themselves do 

(King and Parker, 2008)

Not just driving – older children and adolescents think they have good attitude and skills towards road safety but believe that others especially those in their peer group do not 

(Tolmie. 2006).

Individuals do not believe they are dangerous on the roads but at the same time fervently believe others are.

I am not likely to be responsible for an accident; others are likely to be responsible. Therefore little I can do.

Hence, less likely to need to “plan to avoid them”

Campaigns aimed at dangerous driving are for “other” drivers not themselves. 

Such campaigns re-emphasise this difference (2CV, 2008 and Flaming Research, 2008)

The third-person effect (Davison, 1983). 

High support for enforcement, engineering solutions and education 

But not for themselves - for other people.

The Reality may be a long way from these seemingly benighted perspectives."

When i first met my wife she always complained about her motorbike, & why she comes off the bike so many times ..we went through her operating skills (or lack of), it happened that when she applied the brake, she applied only  the front brake causing the front wheel to lock up, skid, and her ending up laying in the road, i pointed out  the footbrake & why she didnt use it, she said thats not a brake its a foot rest...  lol

Airbagwill

Good post (#117) above.

If you ask most (if not all) drivers, "Are you an above average or below average driver?" and they will answer "above average" which is impossible as by definition 50% must be "below average".

When people ask me, I usually reply, "depends on the day and my mood at the time."

There are times when I am as bad as the worst out there.

As for your reply to my previous port Airbagwill it was a bit deep for me to comprehend.

1 hour ago, OOTAI said:

Airbagwill

Good post (#117) above.

If you ask most (if not all) drivers, "Are you an above average or below average driver?" and they will answer "above average" which is impossible as by definition 50% must be "below average".

When people ask me, I usually reply, "depends on the day and my mood at the time."

There are times when I am as bad as the worst out there.

As for your reply to my previous port Airbagwill it was a bit deep for me to comprehend.

As a high mileage driver of several decades, I'm aware that my driving varies, I'm also aware that as I get older, my reflexes and physical abilities change too.

I'm constantly self-critising how I drive, I believe it keeps me safe(r) ...... it seems that a lot of posters on this thread are blissfully unaware of their driving shortcomings and when confronted with an "unexpected" or "controversial" situation seek to hide their own failures by blaming everybody else.

There are numerous papers written about the obsession of apportioning blame and they all agree it has no place in road safety......countries with low accident and death rates do not apportion blame, they adhere to the "safe system" principles or road safety and the result is death rates etc that are less than one tenth that of Thailand.

ausrtralia for instance is one of the later countries to adopt the system and already it is showing improvements.

https://www.roadsafety.gov.au/nrss/safe-system.aspx

"The National Road Safety Strategy is based on the Safe System approach to improving road safety. This involves a holistic view of the road transport system and the interactions among roads and roadsides, travel speeds, vehicles and road users. It is an inclusive approach that caters for all groups using the road system, including drivers, motorcyclists, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, and commercial and heavy vehicle drivers. Consistent with our long-term road safety vision, it recognises that people will always make mistakes and may have road crashes—but the system should be forgiving and those crashes should not result in death or serious injury." - 

Archived