I so fed up with stupid dangerous drivers

Bournville

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

No I'm not - we are talking deaths.

somehow, why am I not surprised?

Your ability to explain clearly what you're talking about is abysmal.

Maybe if you were capable of conveying what you mean in a clear and concise manner, more people would understand what you're on about.

9 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Maybe if you were capable of conveying what you mean in a clear and concise manner, more people would understand what you're on about.

There"s no need to be abusive just because your "ability to understand what I'm talking about is abysmal." 

If you'd been reading previous posts you'd have known what we were talking about.

There goes one embarrassed and angry macahoom!

Something less apparent but so annoying and sooooo Thai:

You're waiting to turn right at the lights.

You get the green arrow and start make the turn, only to bump into vehicles sneakily sqeeuzing in and making a left through red. 

Now only a fraction of vehicles that want to turn right make it through and in a worse case scenario the junction is now blocked with vehicles.

Unbelievably retarded.

10 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

There"s no need to be abusive just because your "ability to understand what I'm talking about is abysmal." 

If you'd been reading previous posts you'd have known what we were talking about.

There goes one embarrassed and angry macahoom!

This is laughable!

7 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Posts #122 and #123 outline this stat fairly clearly.

The bulk statistics are only representative of the 'aggregate' population in Thailand, they are a 'generalization' and as such always somewhat  misrepresentative.

For example, looking at the 'bulk stats' it would indicate that driving a car in the USA is actually more dangerous than driving a car in Thailand, but this doesn't take into account mileage covered, I imagine 4 wheeled vehicles in the US cover far greater distance than Thailand which would balance out the statistic more evenly.

12% of Road deaths in Thailand (in 2013) involved 4 wheeled vehicles = 2908 deaths per year.

Death rate in cars per 100,000 people = 4.21

92.8% of Road deaths in the US (in 2017) involved 4 wheeled vehicles = 37,133 deaths per year.

Death rate in cars per 100,000 people = 11.34

Now, we can use stats, but they do not present the true picture, as above. Driving in Thailand is clearly more dangerous than driving in the US, every day we see far more dumb things here than we would in the US, yet the statistics for 4 wheeled vehicles alone indicate that they do not result a high proportion of fatalities.

The atrocious Road Fatality Stats in Thailand are made up by significant proportion of motorcycle riders 75%.

Thus, if you drive a car in Thailand 75% of the damning statistic is not representative of 'your risk'. 

The same could be applied to motorcyclists, of which a significant proportion of that 75% of motorcycle riders contributing towards the atrociously high statistic are those in a high risk group (16-26 yrs old) who ride while drunk, speed, race at night etc, thus, even the high Fatality Statistic of Motorcycle riders does not truly represent the risk I take when riding carefully. 

In the last couple of paragraphs I have repeated myself (from earlier posts) in an attempt to explain (again) how the stats can be manipulated and polished, but also how Thailands damning road statistics while atrocious and an embarrassment to the nation may not truly represent the specific demographic we fit in as motorists in Thailand. 

I believe we, both car and motorcycle riders to face elevated risks when on Thailands roads, however, those risks are not as severe as the damning road fatality statistics suggest because we [road users] for the most part do not fall within the high risk demographic. 

image.png

Thai traffic education = almost non-existant. Anyone who has gotten their license to either motorbike or car knows its total rubbish.

And then add to that fact that around 50% of everyone riding a motorbike or car DOESNT have a license.

Then add to that fact that a lot of people under legal age are driving motorbikes AND cars.

Anyone claiming thai traffic is fine either drives their car/motorbike 50 meters to the closest 7-11 once a month or are just simply full of b-<deleted>. I have not ever...EVER...been out in my car or motorbike here in Thailand and NOT had an almost-accident or seen an almost-accident. Dashcam or helmet camera is a must in this country. Traffic awareness here in Thailand is absolute rubbish. The careful vigilant driver/rider here in Thailand is the absolute exception.

Foreigners riding/driving here in Thailand do the mistake of "claiming their right of law/rule". They actually believe that thai people care about traffic laws/rules. Aggressive driving here in Thailand is a big big mistake.

Why someone feel they have to make excuses for the lack of road safety in Thailand is absolutely astonishing. They are doing a disservice to the thai people.

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

but this doesn't take into account mileage covered, I imagine 4 wheeled vehicles in the US cover far greater distance than Thailand which would balance out the statistic more evenly.

Not just mileage - type of roads, It doesn't take into account density of traffic, car ownership per capita, type of car, number of collisions.

in fact I read a while back that Thailand and UK have similar numbers of collisions - which would mean that "driving" would not be the main factor - it is what happens once the incident is in process....e.g - trees at the side or middle of the road, visibility at junctions, road design, road surfaces, car roadworthiness and of course the elephant in the room te emergency services.

Thailand has failed to take a holistic approach to road safety, like the un-informed on this thread, the nabobs seem to think the introducing half-hearted attempts to reduce single perceived issues will have a significant effect - they couldn't be more wrong.

3 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Not just mileage - type of roads, It doesn't take into account density of traffic, car ownership per capita, type of car, number of collisions.

in fact I read a while back that Thailand and UK have similar numbers of collisions - which would mean that "driving" would not be the main factor - it is what happens once the incident is in process....e.g - trees at the side or middle of the road, visibility at junctions, road design, road surfaces, car roadworthiness and of course the elephant in the room te emergency services.

Thailand has failed to take a holistic approach to road safety, like the un-informed on this thread, the nabobs seem to think the introducing half-hearted attempts to reduce single perceived issues will have a significant effect - they couldn't be more wrong.

Nabobs...I am nothing like a nabob....I had to Google it.....????

Thailand has pretty much the worst traffic death rate in the world.

The commentor who stated these people lack spatial awareness - that is the first time that I have known anyone to agree with what I have been shocked into realizing about Thai people. The sense of where your body is in located in space and where your limbs are always and how far away from you things are - like the doorway and other people's bodies and the edge of a car's fender.... these things that we in in the West were taught all through grammar school are missing in the Thai education, and in the Thai psyche. So they are not able - or interested in - to look at an opening between two vehicles and calculate in a split-second if they can walk or ride or drive through that space or park there.

Besides that they do not give any thought to all the other people walking and driving all over the roads.

So when the thought comes up to make a turn or to ignore a Red light there is no automatic hesitation to think about the consequences before making the move. 

Yesterday as I was riding around unfamiliar sois, looking for a computer repair shop, some freakn Thai person just in front of me decided to make a right turn into a driveway. Like so many of them, he did not look back over his shoulder first to see that it was all right. So I had to swerve around him to the right to avoid a collision -as you do every day all day long in this sea of clueless drivers - and did not quite make it. Our mirrors or handle bars touched. I lost balance... I was heading straight to collide head-on with two girls on a bike.... I just braked hard and went down. 

Scraped my knee, elbow and two fingers of my left hand.

A guy came and stood the bike up for me and asked if I was all right. I said In Thai I was not sure - I am old. I careful moved around, waiting to see if I got dizzy or anything and then looked for the s.o.b. who had caused this accident. The m.c. was inside the driveway and I took a photo with my phone and watched an mean old man glare at me, waiting for me to start something; a girl came to the door and asked me what I wanted. But the driver - a male I thought, but I got only a fast glimpse - stayed out of sight. I took pictures of the address and the bike and moved my bike out of the middle of the lane where it was causing traffic jams, called the place I rent the bike from and told them what happened, took photos of my lacerations. Then I went to my g/f's massage shop and got her to go with me to the renter place. They were very understanding there - nice people - and checked the bike was not damaged much and we cleaned my cuts and I went on.

There was a video today of a farang being chased by 14 Thai people, some with poles or signs to hit him with. What could he have done to incite such a mob scene? If I had lost my temper - I was not in any mood to get angry since I am 73 y.o. and I was concerned about my health and not teaching this creap a lesson - then that could have been me fighting with the whole neighborhood. I am too old to run. I would have had to go down fighting.

Makes you think again - is it worth it to stay in this country? 

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I believe we, both car and motorcycle riders to face elevated risks when on Thailands roads, however, those risks are not as severe as the damning road fatality statistics suggest because we [road users] for the most part do not fall within the high risk demographic. 

Can i ask you your age and where do you actualy live?

Because usualy the ones whiches feel the most secure here in Thailand

are aged and living in a rural area where there is only few vehicles on the roads

plus they rarely drive (Go from the house to Tesco 1 time\week)

and for most of them is the wife\gf, usualy much much younger

who is at the wheel.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fact: Thailand has one of the highest annual number of road deaths (per 100,000) in the world.

Fact: The Thai driving test is cursary at best.

Fact: RTP pay minimal attention to enforcing the traffic laws.

Fact: Thai roads are among the most dangerous in the world mainly due to the extreme lack of driving skills of it's drivers.

These facts aren't just "my opinion". When I look in the mirror, I see someone who has driven for most of his life in a country where it takes months of training, an hour long driving test, on public roads to obtain a driving licence, the police rigourously enforce traffic laws and the average driver doesn't suffer from "face".

1 minute ago, Onrai said:

Fact: Thailand has one of the highest annual number of road deaths (per 100,000) in the world.

Fact: The Thai driving test is cursary at best.

Fact: RTP pay minimal attention to enforcing the traffic laws.

Fact: Thai roads are among the most dangerous in the world mainly due to the extreme lack of driving skills of it's drivers.

These facts aren't just "my opinion". When I look in the mirror, I see someone who has driven for most of his life in a country where it takes months of training, an hour long driving test, on public roads to obtain a driving licence, the police rigourously enforce traffic laws and the average driver doesn't suffer from "face".

I have weighed in on this subject quite a few times but it does appear one topic no one agrees on.

Fact 1. Thailand more accurately has one of the highest number of motorbike deaths. More motorcycles more road deaths. Nothing mysterious about this. The motorbike is inherently more dangerous to ride. I sincerely question who and how statistics are being reported. World Health Organization is number one source cited and how each country reports their deaths to Who is questionable. 

Maybe Thai reporting is more honest and accurate than say Vietnam. No one will ever convince me that the roads are safer in Vietnam than Thailand. 

Fact 2. I have met a number of Americans that have failed the Thai drivers test multiple times. If it is so cursory why can’t we pass it?

It has a written and driving component similar to our test in the USA. I wouldn’t categorize it as cursory. 

3. Thais pay minimal attention to driving laws. Maybe so. On the other hand- they do stop at traffic lights, they general use their turn signal, they do use their lights at night. More and more people are wearing helmets. Yes they have a different driving style and it can be infuriating. For one thing you have to pay attention and be fully alert and a defensive driver. I would suggest that, at least in USA, we depend too much on the “law” to protect us and are less engaged with our driving. Thais can talk on the phone, ride 3 on a motorcycle, cut in and out of traffic. It seems insane but I have slowly adapted to their driving style. 

I would say my driving skills have improved since I have been in thailand since I have to be fully engaged at all times. 

My analogy is walking on sidewalks. All the side walks are smooth, few transitions, flat, unbroken, etc. in the USA. Here they are broken, there are steps, broken cement, little 2 inch transitions that you don’t see. My conclusion is I walk better and am more attentive because I know I am going to trip and break my neck if I am not fully engaged. 

I think the subset of the population that cause the most accidents in Thailand is the young testosterone driven hot dog that feels invincible. I look back at realize I was exactly the same- driving too fast, driving while drinking, not paying attention, etc. 

The last comment is on road conditions. Roads, in my opinion, are good to excellent in Thailand. Not a lot of pot holes, generally well lit with no lack of traffic signs. The roads in the San Francisco Bay Area are abysmal in comparison. Enough said.

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

are aged and living in a rural area where there is only few vehicles on the roads

who is at the wheel.

You make a valid point, but my age is 45 and I live in central Bangkok and I much prefer doing the riding or driving myself (my Wife drives when we're coming back from a restaurant etc and I had a couple of beers). 

My point is not that Thailands roads aren't dangerous - they most certainly are and more so than our roads in the West. My point is that the Damning Statistics are not truly representative of the risks I face when riding and driving  because when out in the car 75% of that damning statistic is removed as it represents motorcycles. When riding a motorcycle I'm not a hoon and thus while still at elevated risk because of the lower standards in Thailand the risks I personally face are not as high as the drunk, speeding around at night jumping lights... 

1 hour ago, Onrai said:

how statistics are being reported. World Health Organization is number one source cited and how each country reports their deaths to Who is questionable. 

If you do a quick search, you'll find a paper by WHO explaining how they compile the stats.

If you look at the annual reports, you'll see that Thailand doesn't actually ever supply a great number of stats.

You can also find out the half dozen sources in Thailand that supply stats.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
said:

who is at the wheel.

I am 65 and drive motorcycles daily. Don’t have a car. I stay mainly in the north and Isaan. That said -I have ridden extensively in Phuket, Surin, Buriram, Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Trat, Koh Khud,  Hua Hin, Lopburi, Pai, Udon Thani, Kohn Kaen to name a few. I have a ridden a Royal Enfield 2000km thru Rajasthan. I have explored an equally large portion of Vietnam on a motorbike. 

The only major city I haven’t ridden in is Bangkok. 

What about you? How many miles have you logged? Have you ridden  in India or Sri Lanka or Vietnam. How often do you ride in Thailand? 

5 hours ago, Onrai said:

I have weighed in on this subject quite a few times but it does appear one topic no one agrees on.

Fact 1. Thailand more accurately has one of the highest number of motorbike deaths. More motorcycles more road deaths. Nothing mysterious about this. The motorbike is inherently more dangerous to ride. I sincerely question who and how statistics are being reported. World Health Organization is number one source cited and how each country reports their deaths to Who is questionable. 

Maybe Thai reporting is more honest and accurate than say Vietnam. No one will ever convince me that the roads are safer in Vietnam than Thailand. 

Fact 2. I have met a number of Americans that have failed the Thai drivers test multiple times. If it is so cursory why can’t we pass it?

It has a written and driving component similar to our test in the USA. I wouldn’t categorize it as cursory. 

3. Thais pay minimal attention to driving laws. Maybe so. On the other hand- they do stop at traffic lights, they general use their turn signal, they do use their lights at night. More and more people are wearing helmets. Yes they have a different driving style and it can be infuriating. For one thing you have to pay attention and be fully alert and a defensive driver. I would suggest that, at least in USA, we depend too much on the “law” to protect us and are less engaged with our driving. Thais can talk on the phone, ride 3 on a motorcycle, cut in and out of traffic. It seems insane but I have slowly adapted to their driving style. 

I would say my driving skills have improved since I have been in thailand since I have to be fully engaged at all times. 

My analogy is walking on sidewalks. All the side walks are smooth, few transitions, flat, unbroken, etc. in the USA. Here they are broken, there are steps, broken cement, little 2 inch transitions that you don’t see. My conclusion is I walk better and am more attentive because I know I am going to trip and break my neck if I am not fully engaged. 

I think the subset of the population that cause the most accidents in Thailand is the young testosterone driven hot dog that feels invincible. I look back at realize I was exactly the same- driving too fast, driving while drinking, not paying attention, etc. 

The last comment is on road conditions. Roads, in my opinion, are good to excellent in Thailand. Not a lot of pot holes, generally well lit with no lack of traffic signs. The roads in the San Francisco Bay Area are abysmal in comparison. Enough said.

Wrong. The roads in the San Francisco Bay Area are much better and the drivers more polite.

58 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

Wrong. The roads in the San Francisco Bay Area are much better and the drivers more polite

Well everyone has their own opinion. I’ve only lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area 65 years so obviously I couldn’t possibly have an informed opinion.

Anyone running for re-election, anyone who has ever gone to a town council meeting, knows that road maintenance is a top priority that generally fails to get any traction. 280, 101, 680 are well maintained but not any better than the major highways here. 

Probably worse maintained now that CA. Is struggling with major infrastructure problems due to all the forest fires and allocating assets elsewhere. 

That people are more polite clearly shows we are talking about a different San Francisco CA. Road rage is almost at epidemic levels. Hard to drive anywhere without someone flipping you off for a perceived slight. Don’t believe me- I’d be happy to send you scores of articles on people ramming each other, chasing each other for 10’s of miles because someone got someone <deleted> off. It is a phenomenon that I have never seen in any other country. I ‘d love to have a discussion on what causes road rage in America. What amazes me about Thailand is that most confrontational situations never reach a boiling point. People take it in stride and rarely get angry. People in and around San Francisco have a sense of entitlement that escalates at the smallest provocation. Road rage is just as much a uniquely American phenomenon as mass shootings of innocent civilians.  Neither exist t anywhere near the level they do in America. My suggestion is read the news, go to city council meetings about road conditions. Try cutting someone off, or trail gate, or forget to make a lane change without your turn signal and see what happens. 

Was on the motorbike a few days ago and nearly got flattened by a car coming fast out of a side road, reason is the fella was on his phone and not looking ahead and had to break quickly. Now I'm not one of these pussies who won't say boo to a Thai bloke, so I stopped my bike looked at him and made a motion with my hand that he was on his phone, he looked at me steely faced and nodded. Job done and I drove off, hopefully it would have made him think twice before doing it again,

7 hours ago, Onrai said:

I agree. During one of my twice yearly sojourns back in the UK recently a family member made an interesting observation on my driving. She said 'you never seem to brake'. I thought about this and came to the conclusion that she had a point.  Although I don't drive slowly after 9 years in Thailand I factor in a lot more in any given situation. So, while driving in the UK, I no longer get caught out by events that might require firm braking. By the time anything happens I've already adjusted my speed. I guess it's just that I no longer expect other road users to behave consistently. Also driving in Thailand has impressed upon me never to encroach into the 'two second' rule distance when following another vehicle, something that I might have been guilty of on occasions in the past.          

On 12/2/2019 at 1:20 PM, cranki said:

Sounds like you should walk instead....that happens ever millisecond here.....sheesh.

Heaven forbid anyone should walk in Thailand (especially the Thais). That's what motorcycles were invented for. Leg use is so out of date.

8 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

If you do a quick search, you'll find a paper by WHO explaining how they compile the stats.

If you look at the annual reports, you'll see that Thailand doesn't actually ever supply a great number of stats.

I am on The Who website and am wondering which data collection publications and reporting protocols you are referring to:

resources

Fatal injury surveillance in mortuaries and hospitals: a manual for practitioners (2012)

Data systems: a road safety manual for decision-makers and practitioners (2010)

Manual for estimating the economic costs of injuries due to interpersonal and self-directed violence (2008)

Guidelines for conducting community surveys on injuries and violence (2004)

Guidance for surveillance of injuries due to landmines and unexploded ordnance (2000)

• English [pdf 130kb]
  • French [pdf 231kb]
  • Spanish [pdf 230kb] 
  • More information
    8 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Which one are you referring to

Data collection

Data collection is defined as the ongoing systematic collection, analysis, and interpretation of health data necessary for designing, implementing, and evaluating public health prevention programs. To develop effective prevention strategies, countries need to improve their information. In particular, countries need to know about the numbers and types of injuries that occur and about the circumstances in which those injuries occur. Such information will indicate how serious the injury problem is, and where prevention measures are most urgently needed.

Related publications

More about data collection

• Classification systems
    Injury surveillance systems and surveys require a standard system for classifying injuries and violence. 

i

8 hours ago, Onrai said:

I am on The Who website and am wondering which data collection publications and reporting protocols you are referring to:

resources

Fatal injury surveillance in mortuaries and hospitals: a manual for practitioners (2012)

Data systems: a road safety manual for decision-makers and practitioners (2010)

Manual for estimating the economic costs of injuries due to interpersonal and self-directed violence (2008)

Guidelines for conducting community surveys on injuries and violence (2004)

Guidance for surveillance of injuries due to landmines and unexploded ordnance (2000)

Data collection

Data collection is defined as the ongoing systematic collection, analysis, and interpretation of health data necessary for designing, implementing, and evaluating public health prevention programs. To develop effective prevention strategies, countries need to improve their information. In particular, countries need to know about the numbers and types of injuries that occur and about the circumstances in which those injuries occur. Such information will indicate how serious the injury problem is, and where prevention measures are most urgently needed.

Related publications

More about data collection

• Classification systems
    Injury surveillance systems and surveys require a standard system for classifying injuries and violence. 

i

Well, you've done the search, now do the research. I wold bear in mind that we are talking about not just stats in general but unspecific to how gountires collect, collate and analyse.

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Well, you've done the search, now do the research. I wold bear in mind that we are talking about not just stats in general but unspecific to how gountires collect, collate and analyse.

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Well I can tell you one thing- Who only recognizes 34 countries that collect data according to their data collection protocol. Want to guess if Thailand is included in that list?

13 hours ago, sniggie said:

I agree. During one of my twice yearly sojourns back in the UK recently a family member made an interesting observation on my driving. She said 'you never seem to brake'. I thought about this and came to the conclusion that she had a point.  Although I don't drive slowly after 9 years in Thailand I factor in a lot more in any given situation. So, while driving in the UK, I no longer get caught out by events that might require firm braking. By the time anything happens I've already adjusted my speed. I guess it's just that I no longer expect other road users to behave consistently. Also driving in Thailand has impressed upon me never to encroach into the 'two second' rule distance when following another vehicle, something that I might have been guilty of on occasions in the past.          

I can always tell who drove our car last, I just need to look at the dust on the front wheels......

Makes me wonder what driving in western countries like... I drove in China and Dubai before moved to Thailand, and suddenly I felt like heaven, I saw drivers are very communicative and give gesture for give way and appologies... Traffic is resonablely fast, not snail-like in China/Vietnam nor crazy roads like Amman/Dubai. Even now live in Bangkok, each time driving makes me smile( since I know many sois to bypass traffic jam ). If western is much superior... I can't imagine.

You know in China we banned almost every motorcycle, and whole country adapted full-electric-mopeds. Say license, those silent killers don't even require a plate. Since I driving in that environment from middle school, never distracted >0.25s already becomes a habit. Thai roads seems relatively safe and relax to me... Funny in China we have almost same accidents statistic like US

That said something I hate about Thai driving:

1. occasional jerks in their red-plated executive car. Never give way to other

2. don't understand how to drive in roundabout

3. motorcycle deathsquads. This goes without saying

Each could be very dangerous

Archived