Safety - security screening

Gerrit1944

Regularly I have to travel for work and use mainly Suvarnabhumi airport. Last week had to catch a 03.20 am flight to Hong Kong with my daughter. After midnight we passed the security checks at the airport. Not much staff, most of them not really dedicated to their work. All bags on the conveyor belt, shoes had to be taken of. The girl behind the monitor to check the contains of bags; she was sniffing her nose in a tissue and looking at the tissue to check what came out of her nose...... My daughter's bag had a tablet, smart phone and a lap top inside. + a tube of face mask 175 ml, contact lense liquid 330 ml and a nail clip set. She forgot to prepare for the security check and had it all with her.

Nobody had remarks about her bag and we walked through. Not the first time I consider the security checks at Suvarnabhumi as an useless operation. 

Happens in Brussels too. I always leave my liquids in my check in luggage.

I also always travel with a small knife.  I do so for years already and got caught only once, in Hong Kong.

Brussels airport, Frankfurt, Dortmund, New York (JFK), Abu Dhabi, Dubai and many more don't see it if you take a knife in your luggage. I do put it between camera equipment. But terrorists could do the same.

8 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Happens in Brussels too. I always leave my liquids in my check in luggage.

I also always travel with a small knife.  I do so for years already and got caught only once, in Hong Kong.

Brussels airport, Frankfurt, Dortmund, New York (JFK), Abu Dhabi, Dubai and many more don't see it if you take a knife in your luggage. I do put it between camera equipment. But terrorists could do the same.

555 --- I was referring to Brussels too!

In another screening...Toyko...customs officer tore through 2 suit cases and a backpack...took a damp cloth and wiped the inside of my bags...took cloth to lab to look for residue of drugs...

Then, while boarding the plane to leave Japan...was pulled aside while everyone else boarded and my backpack was once again emptied out and got the cloth wipe for drugs treatment once again.

The officer said: "Thank You!"...to which I replied: "You are Not Welcome!"   ????

If the OP has regularly passed through security screening at Suvarnabhumi as he claims, how many times has he either witnessed or personally experienced similar instances of poor or ineffective security screening the same as his daughter's one-off event last week?

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I think that problem is not limited to Suvarnabumi.

Three times now - in Europe - I forgot to take the small bag with liquids out of my checked luggage. Three times it passed.

Airport security is getting lax worldwide.

Liquids are allowed in your checked baggage so that's why it went through.  They are not allowed in your carry on.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:14 PM, NanLaew said:

If the OP has regularly passed through security screening at Suvarnabhumi as he claims, how many times has he either witnessed or personally experienced similar instances of poor or ineffective security screening the same as his daughter's one-off event last week?

Many times. Once was put aside because a scissor set from 1st aid kit was in my back pack. Totally forgot. After being sent back to check in, I gave it another try at another security counter. Walked through. Suvarnabhumi is leak, very leak.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:50 PM, josephbloggs said:

Liquids are allowed in your checked baggage so that's why it went through.  They are not allowed in your carry on.

Liquids are allowed in carry on providing you comply with the guidelines..

Measures for Liquids, Aerosols and Gels (LAGs)

LAGs is the procedure for screening passengers and airline staff traveling in every flight departing from every airport under AOT, including staff and persons who are granted the rights to pass the restricted area behind the security check point in every AOT airport. This measure is not applied to liquids, aerosols and gels (LAGs) or other materials and substances with similar characteristics which are medicines and milk or infant nutritions. Medicines, milk, and infant nutritions in appropriate quantity are permitted to be taken on board.

Procedures
1. In case that LAGs are personal belongings

1.1 LAGs must be contained in a container of size not over 100 ml. (Containers over 100 ml. are not permitted to be taken on board, even if it contains less than 100 ml. of LAGs).

1.2 All containers of LAGs according to 1.1 shall be placed together in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag and shall have overall capacity not exceeding 1,000 ml. (or equivalent in other measurement units). The bag must be sealed and each passenger can take one plastic bag on board.

1.3 Each passenger shall separate the plastic bag according to 1.2 from other personal items that will be taken on board, including jackets and computer devices, and shall let the officer check it at the security checkpoint.

2. In case that LAGs are duty free products

2.1 Passengers Departure/Departing passengers, transit passengers, or transfer passengers who have bags containing LAGs bought from duty free shops at the airport or on the plane can take them on board if those bags are sealed and there is no evidence that they are torn or opened after purchase.

2.2 There must be evidence stating the date of the purchase, which shall be the travel date. The specified items must correspond to LAGs contains in the bag.

1. Before entering the security checkpoint

After passing the check-in procedure and the passport control procedure (if available), passengers will go through the security screening procedure before boarding. In the first step, please prepare your boarding pass to be checked by the officer.

2. At the security checkpoint

2.1 When you enter the x-ray lane, there will be trays for containing bags/belongings. Please put every bag/belonging into the tray(s) in order to pass through the x-ray machine. For passengers having laptops, jackets, and zip-lock bags containing liquid, please separate those items from other belongings and put them into the tray(s). As for valuable belongings, please keep them in your bags/belongings which are closed before being put into the tray(s) to pass through the x-ray machine.

Information Source: https://www.airportthai.co.th/en/security-information/

Archived