Thai opposition leader accuses government of undermining democracy

webfact

Thai opposition leader accuses government of undermining democracy

2019-12-02T141254Z_1_LYNXMPEFB114T_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ELECTION.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of the Future Forward Party talk during a news conference to form a "democratic front" in Bangkok, Thailand, March 27, 2019. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's most prominent opposition figure accused the government of undermining parliamentary democracy and trying to dissolve his party on Monday, two weeks after the constitutional court disqualified him from parliament.

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, 40, has emerged as the most outspoken opponent of the government headed by former junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha after the progressive Future Forward Party he help found came a surprise third in an election in March.

"They consistently use fake news and misinformation to discredit opposition. They are branding us as traitors, branding us as anti-monarchy, installing hatred that divides the people of this country," Thanathorn told reporters in his strongest comments since the court ruling.

"We can see clearly the effort to dissolve our party," he said.

The government spokeswoman could not immediately be reach for comment.

Since the election, Thanathorn was suspended from parliament and was found guilty last month of breaching election law by holding shares in a media company on the date his candidacy was registered for the election.

He said the case against him showed a concerted effort by the Thai establishment to undermine the opposition and its critics. Thanathorn and the Future Forward party are facing dozens of legal cases.

"We want to participate in politics inside of the parliamentary system but we are not allowed to do this, so we are being pushed outside," he said.

"Nobody knows what would happened when people lose faith in the parliament," he said.

But he said Future Forward itself would not be calling for Hong Kong-style street protests.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Matthew Tostevin and Angus MacSwan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-03

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

They are branding us as traitors, branding us as anti-monarchy, installing hatred that divides the people of this country,"

That was their mission from day one.

Annihilate any opposition to their goal of total power.

Unfortunately, for you and the populace, you challenged them.

One thing I find strange is that phea thai has been rather silent and so has thaksin. Is there a lot more happening in the background or why the silence?

you would think perfect opportunity to jump in with future forward to unite not only politically but also with supporters

26 minutes ago, BestB said:

One thing I find strange is that phea thai has been rather silent and so has thaksin. Is there a lot more happening in the background or why the silence?

you would think perfect opportunity to jump in with future forward to unite not only politically but also with supporters

Good point, however I suspect that pheu Thai will be thinking very carefully about how to proceed and a major critical point for them will be how they can quickly get to a position where they stand alone and not in any partnership of any sort. 

But are pt totally quiet?

My Thai DIL says that a sizeable number of the old red shirt brigade was paying for votes and intimidating voters before the general election in one area in Tak province. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"They consistently use fake news and misinformation to discredit opposition. They are branding us as traitors, branding us as anti-monarchy, installing hatred that divides the people of this country," Thanathorn told reporters in his strongest comments since the court ruling.

It's going to be a rocky ride for the PM next year, with the economy tanking, the baht strength keeping exports difficult and Thanathorn on his heels he'll have to have some good policies in place!

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

It is nice to hear him say what we all already knew.  But when Thais believe in conscriptions and do not have any interest in voicing their opinions, you can't help by feel sorry for guys like him. 

That was probably a slanted poll (as was discussed in the thread). I don't think the "real" majority of Thais support conscription.

Thanathorn is a smart and experienced businessman. He was ripped of his voice in the "government" but by using what ever forum he can to speak out like this, he is reinforcing his message.

I am hoping he dishes out as much dirt as he is receiving.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

It is nice to hear him say what we all already knew.  But when Thais believe in conscriptions and do not have any interest in voicing their opinions, you can't help by feel sorry for guys like him. 

We are told that Thais believe in conscription, we are told that by those who benefit from conscription - those who are being conscripted are denied a voice in the matter. 

Simmilarily whatever their interest, they have no real opportunity to voice their opinions. We here are constantly reminded to be careful with what we say - there is a pinned post at the to of the forum! What chance have the people? Other than the ballot box, and that was rigged/disregarded/overturned, if they speak out then they are liable to be charged with defamation, fake news or computer crimes - or worse!

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good point, however I suspect that pheu Thai will be thinking very carefully about how to proceed and a major critical point for them will be how they can quickly get to a position where they stand alone and not in any partnership of any sort. 

But are pt totally quiet?

My Thai DIL says that a sizeable number of the old red shirt brigade was paying for votes and intimidating voters before the general election in one area in Tak province. 

I think there is more to it, at same time PT and Thaksin goes quite, Thaksin cases against him and family members start to get dismissed or aquited. 

^^

Is highly likely some deals been struck on that ...

Reality is thailand heading for political disaster .

How Buck Banana pulled that election off is pure proof of how passive the public are, a few more like thanathorn and it would of never come to this mess .
currently we have biggest corruption of all time and some serious evil minds running the banana camp .

hopefully a few million other thai's can grow some balls and brains and put a stop to Buck Banana and General Rolex before we see the educated and opinuated disapear in masses to execution camps and westerners further forced out of the country ...

Some people have done well in a police state.....yet others disappear without a trace or end up dead.  Over the coming years I will get a ring side seat and see for myself how it works......unless of course not only "Bad guys Out" becomes 'All farang out.'  ????

7 hours ago, BestB said:

With friends like Thaksin, Future Forward wouldn't need any pro-junta enemies.

Poisoned chalice, albatross around the neck, elephant in the room, etc., etc..

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Which way did your Dil vote BTW?

1 hour ago, BuckBee said:

^^

Is highly likely some deals been struck on that ...

Reality is thailand heading for political disaster .

How Buck Banana pulled that election off is pure proof of how passive the public are, a few more like thanathorn and it would of never come to this mess .
currently we have biggest corruption of all time and some serious evil minds running the banana camp .

hopefully a few million other thai's can grow some balls and brains and put a stop to Buck Banana and General Rolex before we see the educated and opinuated disapear in masses to execution camps and westerners further forced out of the country ...

Ahhhh.... if only it was all that easy.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It's going to be a rocky ride for the PM next year, with the economy tanking, the baht strength keeping exports difficult and Thanathorn on his heels he'll have to have some good policies in place!

Sure. More control. More police. More militarily. 

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

He's asking for it.  Some sort of response is coming soon.

I think he’s too big now - you snuff out dissenters in their infancy not when they’re on the world stage. 

Prayut is desperate to be seen as a serious politician - that game will be up if he ‘removes’ this guy IMO

4 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

I think he’s too big now - you snuff out dissenters in their infancy not when they’re on the world stage. 

Prayut is desperate to be seen as a serious politician - that game will be up if he ‘removes’ this guy IMO

Yes ,he is too big. He has very good support from the .....g. Big military force and very good develop police force. 

Without intervention from Europe and USA and economic sanctions . Nothing would change

4 hours ago, yellowboat said: But when Thais believe in conscriptions and do not have any interest in voicing their opinions, you can't help by feel sorry for guys like him. 

Mis-informed nonsense or opportunity for a slur ? 

There was a sizeable anti junta demonstration last Wednesday in Bangkok, outside government buildings, however it was not reported on any news channel - I’m assuming you were there ? 

Keyboard warriors can take comfort in the groundswell of opinion against the current regime growing rapidly, if you lived here you would have picked this up. 

Archived