Thai opposition leader accuses government of undermining democracy

webfact

33 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

I think he’s too big now - you snuff out dissenters in their infancy not when they’re on the world stage. 

Prayut is desperate to be seen as a serious politician - that game will be up if he ‘removes’ this guy IMO

I doubt that Thanathorn is on any of what the western MSM's perceives as a 'world stage' at this juncture. He can still be glibly discounted as 'an opposition figure' bolstered by the Election Commission charges and Constitutional Court rulings and submerge into faceless ignominy. Having all the guns the Senate can make that happen.

18 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Mis-informed nonsense or opportunity for a slur ? 

There was a sizeable anti junta demonstration last Wednesday in Bangkok, outside government buildings, however it was not reported on any news channel - I’m assuming you were there ? 

Keyboard warriors can take comfort in the groundswell of opinion against the current regime growing rapidly, if you lived here you would have picked this up. 

There was a sizeable demonstration by farmers in Bangkok last week, protesting about the ban on certain pesticides. That's all.

29 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

I think he’s too big now - you snuff out dissenters in their infancy not when they’re on the world stage. 

Prayut is desperate to be seen as a serious politician - that game will be up if he ‘removes’ this guy IMO

I think it very important that he keep in the public eye for his own safety and also to get his message out. 

Sure 90 procent of Thais is not ready to make a big changes. No one starving . It is not north Korea.

No one want some of their member family die. Everyone is keep quiet. Expect for few people.

We just must except this , expect that we must pay more than Thais do, except to be people number 2.

Anyway it better than USA 60 years back. When black was niger and no more. We are still not niger yet.

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Not sure intervention from the USA is a good idea, the US has a pretty long failure list in terms of intervention to push democracy, and in reality is itself a very good example of democracy.

It's funny how people only remember the fall of the Shah of Iran, Vietnam and the USMC kicking over a fruit stand in Grenada when trying to make some vague point about USA's "pretty long failure list."

1 hour ago, Bruntoid said:

If things keep going the way they are, next year his "game" could be up anyway.

2 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Mis-informed nonsense or opportunity for a slur ? 

There was a sizeable anti junta demonstration last Wednesday in Bangkok, outside government buildings, however it was not reported on any news channel - I’m assuming you were there ? 

Keyboard warriors can take comfort in the groundswell of opinion against the current regime growing rapidly, if you lived here you would have picked this up.

I can only hope to be proven wrong again and again.  May their contempt for the current government grow. 

5 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

What is more, whenever he is summoned to court, or makes any high profile appearance, foreign diplomats seem to make a point of being present. They may well not be able to do anything, but they do rather make the point that the international community is taking an interest in him.

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Government undermining democracy, stop it please.

The only thing Prayut and his cronies understand is bullying, ordering underlings around.

They have absolutely no idea what democracy is.

Maybe you're right ???? the second option is they know too well what is democracy that is why they hate it and will do everything in their power to make sure it never happens.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

What is more, whenever he is summoned to court, or makes any high profile appearance, foreign diplomats seem to make a point of being present. They may well not be able to do anything, but they do rather make the point that the international community is taking an interest in him.

Foreign journalists are also interested in what Thanathorn has to say about Thailand and its politics. I can't imagine why ....!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OigV2Zp5JeM&t=127s

Archived