Is this cheese?

Thian

This cheese was in our fridge for 6 months, an opened bag......it wouldn't get mould though so now it's on the countertop since another 6-7 weeks....still no mould to be seen.

I'm dutch and a cheeselover, gouda cheese from Holland will get mould within 1-2 weeks in the fridge if the bag has been opened.

I will keep this bag on the countertop (33 celcius every day) untill it gets mould...but how long would that take?

cheese-california.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I saw an article about a burger in the USA which was left in the open and it never got molded...

Was that in freezing alaska?

How is that possible? Is it loaded with  chemicals? 

I only know that Gouda cheese comes from Gouda which is a city in Holland with a real old style open cheesemarket. Have a look.

Just now, Matzzon said:

As you already stated, you are dutch. Then you must, for the love of God, know that it ain´t cheese.

Gouda, made in California by selected farms????

Sure i know that now, and i won't eat is again....but what is it? California cheese is what the package says, but what do they call cheese in California?? Since there is no mold appearing it is still edible?? ????

This is from Wikipedia:

CALIFORNIA CHEESE FAMILIES OVERVIEW

California is USA’s leading milk production which supplied 1903000 metric tons of milk in year 2014. California is home to over 1450 dairy farms and 1.78 million milk cows. California’s more than 50 cheesemakers produce 250 different varieties and styles of cheese made exclusively from California milk. California can also supply various products made by real California Milk including milk, butter, ice cream, yogurt, milk powder, whey, etc. to fulfill market demand. 

Fresh (Unripened) Cheeses
Fresh cheeses, also called unripened cheeses, are young cheeses that have not been allowed to age. As a result, they have a shorter shelf life than aged cheeses and are freshness dated. They are typically soft and have a flavor close to that of fresh whole milk. These cheeses, like fresh milk, must be kept refrigerated. Store these cheeses tightly wrapped in a section of the refrigerator where they will not absorb flavors from other foods. Discard if signs of mold appear.

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Sure i know that now, and i won't eat is again....but what is it? California cheese is what the package says, but what do they call cheese in California?? Since there is no mold appearing it is still edible?? ????

This is from Wikipedia:

California is USA’s leading milk production which supplied 1903000 metric tons of milk in year 2014. California is home to over 1450 dairy farms and 1.78 million milk cows. California’s more than 50 cheesemakers produce 250 different varieties and styles of cheese made exclusively from California milk. California can also supply various products made by real California Milk including milk, butter, ice cream, yogurt, milk powder, whey, etc. to fulfill market demand. 

Fresh cheeses, also called unripened cheeses, are young cheeses that have not been allowed to age. As a result, they have a shorter shelf life than aged cheeses and are freshness dated. They are typically soft and have a flavor close to that of fresh whole milk. These cheeses, like fresh milk, must be kept refrigerated. Store these cheeses tightly wrapped in a section of the refrigerator where they will not absorb flavors from other foods. Discard if signs of mold appear.

Just one comment to that one. I wouldn´t eat it.

My best advice will be, to stick to your good olé cheese you really know. ????

A bit like that similar stuff from Kraft! - but at least they don't outright lie... they don't use the 'cheese' word; instead calling it Kraft Slices. Well they had to do something, as it woyldn't even melt like a cheese, but instead more like melting plastic similar to Styrofoam 

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Most recipes recommend against using store bought grated cheese for cooking as they add chemicals to stop the bits sticking to each other. See the attached;
https://www.kcet.org/food/pre-shredded-versus-freshly-grated-cheese-whats-the-difference 

I thought they add cellulose to grated cheese, well if it's natural and harmless i will eat that...

My freezer is full of  gouda cheese from holland but frozen cheese doesn't grate so well...it's more crumbly. Schiphol airport has a large supermarket where they sell cheese for the normal price..

30 years ago i worked temporary in a cheese packing/cutting factory in Holland...everything from the floor was collected and went into the grated cheese...they also used a lot of rat poison in there which was also put on the floor.

So since then i always grate my own cheese.

This california cheese has the expiry date at 21 juni 2019, so it's expired and should get mould i would think, but it doesn't.

This stuff is available at Makro. I use their pizza blend shredded cheese and appreciate I get to use the whole packet whereas other brands go off (not mouldy) before they're finished.

From the back of the packet, http://www.pacificcheese.com/

Email them and ask?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

a burger in the USA which was left in the open and it never got molded..

I have  found that the ready wrapped in plastic "bread" sold at the popular Thai stores is quite mould resistant, I left it out on a window sill for more than a month before any sign of mould..even the ants didn't want to eat it !!!!

3 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

I'll see you and raise you this Australian McDonald's burger: 20 yrs old!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/this-20-year-old-burger-from-mcdonalds-looks-brand-new

6 hours ago, Thian said:

This is from Wikipedia:

Bit like California Champagne, it doesn't exist but that's what the label says. Or French red wine, ingredients says its fruit wine ( made from apples and pineapples)

I was in the costume jewellery business for a while... there were very nice and cheap glass teardrop earrings... they were priced like glass but the wholesaler put them on a display that said "genuine stone".. When I asked about it - he said, that is what we call genuine stone... so, you have genuine Gouda... that said, there are places that sell the real stuff... just not packed like that... 

8 hours ago, Thian said:

Was that in freezing alaska?

How is that possible? Is it loaded with  chemicals? 

I only know that Gouda cheese comes from Gouda which is a city in Holland with a real old style open cheesemarket. Have a look.

In another topic  someone  was extolling the virtues  of US  cheese because it was cheap(er) and lasted a long time.

I could  only comment .........???? !

I was based in The Netherlands for a while and love Dutch Cheeses. 

Here I see plenty labelled Gouda and Edam. Only it isn't the real McCoy, not even close!

Makes you wonder if what you've got there would actually digest. Put in your mousetraps and see if the rodents go for it!

I have sometimes bought the slab (in that the word?) and it isn't a bad cheese to nibble on now and again. 129 for 250 grams last time I looked. But now my local restaurant has chedder that is absolutely orgasmic. Sharp and crumbly. Living here so long, I'd forgotten what really good cheese tastes like. And it's half the price of the bland Aussie cheese I had been buying.

The best Gouda cheese is farmers'cheese, or boerenkaas in dutch....it's made from raw milk and tastes/smells much better.

In Thailand i've seen Frico cheese from Holland but it's just an average brand back home.

Holland has so much cheese but Gouda is what we eat the most and every day. Young cheese for young people and mature ripened cheese for older folks, old Amsterdam and so.

But also other European countries have great cheese, i never was impressed by cheddar or so but that's hard to find in Europe. Also IKEA sells cheese in thailand, not bad but also not cheap. Sometimes it's half price in the sale and i bought a lot of that in the sale last year.

But cheese has to get mold when it's expired...not a big deal though, we just cut it off from the block and still eat it if it's just a little.

In Europe i often buy cheese in Germany since it's cheaper there than in Holland...even real dutch cheese is cheaper and they also have great mountain cheese from Swiss or Austria where the cows eat herbs all day which grow on their mountains.

Amongst my many sins I have a degree in applied microbiology and a further degree in biochemistry.

Is it cheese ? Perhaps - but would you say products such as those slimy very highly processed “ cheese” slices are actually cheese . 
More like a dairy product - horrible.

Moulds do not apppear by magic or by spontaneous creation. 

It just seems probable that the “ cheese” was acidic enough to prevent bacterial decay - but the packet was sealed enough to prevent the entry of fungal spores- they are everywhere- you breathe them in all the time!

PS - don’t buy that processed muck - I know it’s very expensive here in the Kingdom- but you can get the real stuff- and will go deliciously mouldy in no time at all. 

4 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Is it cheese ? Perhaps - but would you say products such as those slimy very highly processed “ cheese” slices are actually cheese . 

that's why I earlier today referred to Kraft, and their 'Kraft Slices' 

They make no claim as to the product  being 'Cheese' 

Do the Melt Test... It will soften, and bend - and will Cinder before it even thinks of eventually melting

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Or French red wine, ingredients says its fruit wine ( made from apples and pineapples)

Well it has to be labeled fruit wine if that is the case (not wholly made from grapes) so at least you know what you are getting!!

As for cheese I buy here.......Italian Gorgonzola, English Stilton and NZ Vintage Cheddar!! 

7 hours ago, tifino said:

A bit like that similar stuff from Kraft! - but at least they don't outright lie... they don't use the 'cheese' word; instead calling it Kraft Slices. Well they had to do something, as it woyldn't even melt like a cheese, but instead more like melting plastic similar to Styrofoam 

Most Europeans, and also Christians in America, absolutely worship Kraft Cheeses ????

6 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Amongst my many sins I have a degree in applied microbiology and a further degree in biochemistry.

Moulds do not apppear by magic or by spontaneous creation. 

It just seems probable that the “ cheese” was acidic enough to prevent bacterial decay - but the packet was sealed enough to prevent the entry of fungal spores- they are everywhere- you breathe them in all the time!

PS - don’t buy that processed muck - I know it’s very expensive here in the Kingdom- but you can get the real stuff- and will go deliciously mouldy in no time at all. 

The package had been opened several times, i even grabbed the cheese out with bare hands i bet and just closed the bag and put it back in the fridge. Yes it was ziplocked but there should have been bacterials in it from my hands i guess?

And how can cheese be acidic? Should i not taste that? Cheese has a lot of calcium, can it still be acidic with that?

If you buy young immature cheese in holland and open it (without touching) and close the bag again there will be mould on the cheese within 2 weeks or so...and that's when stored cool in a fridge.

So how can i test this california cheese more? It's on the countertop for 7 weeks now but the bag is closed...if i open it the mould should appear soon?

Archived