BANGKOK
Thian

Is this cheese?

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I saw an article about a burger in the USA which was left in the open and it never got molded...

Was that in freezing alaska?

How is that possible? Is it loaded with  chemicals? 

I only know that Gouda cheese comes from Gouda which is a city in Holland with a real old style open cheesemarket. Have a look.

Just now, Matzzon said:

As you already stated, you are dutch. Then you must, for the love of God, know that it ain´t cheese.

Gouda, made in California by selected farms????

Sure i know that now, and i won't eat is again....but what is it? California cheese is what the package says, but what do they call cheese in California?? Since there is no mold appearing it is still edible?? 😁

This is from Wikipedia:

CALIFORNIA CHEESE FAMILIES OVERVIEW

California is USA’s leading milk production which supplied 1903000 metric tons of milk in year 2014. California is home to over 1450 dairy farms and 1.78 million milk cows. California’s more than 50 cheesemakers produce 250 different varieties and styles of cheese made exclusively from California milk. California can also supply various products made by real California Milk including milk, butter, ice cream, yogurt, milk powder, whey, etc. to fulfill market demand. 

Fresh (Unripened) Cheeses
Fresh cheeses, also called unripened cheeses, are young cheeses that have not been allowed to age. As a result, they have a shorter shelf life than aged cheeses and are freshness dated. They are typically soft and have a flavor close to that of fresh whole milk. These cheeses, like fresh milk, must be kept refrigerated. Store these cheeses tightly wrapped in a section of the refrigerator where they will not absorb flavors from other foods. Discard if signs of mold appear.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Sure i know that now, and i won't eat is again....but what is it? California cheese is what the package says, but what do they call cheese in California?? Since there is no mold appearing it is still edible?? 😁

This is from Wikipedia:

CALIFORNIA CHEESE FAMILIES OVERVIEW

California is USA’s leading milk production which supplied 1903000 metric tons of milk in year 2014. California is home to over 1450 dairy farms and 1.78 million milk cows. California’s more than 50 cheesemakers produce 250 different varieties and styles of cheese made exclusively from California milk. California can also supply various products made by real California Milk including milk, butter, ice cream, yogurt, milk powder, whey, etc. to fulfill market demand. 

Fresh (Unripened) Cheeses
Fresh cheeses, also called unripened cheeses, are young cheeses that have not been allowed to age. As a result, they have a shorter shelf life than aged cheeses and are freshness dated. They are typically soft and have a flavor close to that of fresh whole milk. These cheeses, like fresh milk, must be kept refrigerated. Store these cheeses tightly wrapped in a section of the refrigerator where they will not absorb flavors from other foods. Discard if signs of mold appear.

Just one comment to that one. I wouldn´t eat it.

My best advice will be, to stick to your good olé cheese you really know. 😂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Most recipes recommend against using store bought grated cheese for cooking as they add chemicals to stop the bits sticking to each other. See the attached;
https://www.kcet.org/food/pre-shredded-versus-freshly-grated-cheese-whats-the-difference 

I thought they add cellulose to grated cheese, well if it's natural and harmless i will eat that...

My freezer is full of  gouda cheese from holland but frozen cheese doesn't grate so well...it's more crumbly. Schiphol airport has a large supermarket where they sell cheese for the normal price..

30 years ago i worked temporary in a cheese packing/cutting factory in Holland...everything from the floor was collected and went into the grated cheese...they also used a lot of rat poison in there which was also put on the floor.

So since then i always grate my own cheese.

This california cheese has the expiry date at 21 juni 2019, so it's expired and should get mould i would think, but it doesn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

How is that possible? Is it loaded with  chemicals? 

BINGO!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This stuff is available at Makro. I use their pizza blend shredded cheese and appreciate I get to use the whole packet whereas other brands go off (not mouldy) before they're finished.

From the back of the packet, http://www.pacificcheese.com/

Email them and ask?