Jump to content
BANGKOK
Thian

Is this cheese?

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, tifino said:

that's why I earlier today referred to Kraft, and their 'Kraft Slices' 

They make no claim as to the product  being 'Cheese' 

 

Do the Melt Test... It will soften, and bend - and will Cinder before it even thinks of eventually melting

I did not like to mention Kraft - I miss decent cheese here - my home country has more handcrafted varieties than France - which is a bit stuck in tradition.

Perhaps next time in the supermarket will look at the ingredients of those truly delicious slices- ( personally I think we should have a campaign to wipe them from the face of the earth - not even cheap to buy) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well it has to be labeled fruit wine if that is the case (not wholly made from grapes) so at least you know what you are getting!!

 

As for cheese I buy here.......Italian Gorgonzola, English Stilton and NZ Vintage Cheddar!! 

You absolutely totally cannot buy  Stilton here - cut from a whole cheese , correctly pampered - never ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

You absolutely totally cannot buy  Stilton here - cut from a whole cheese , correctly pampered - never ! 

now 'that' stuff is the Pla Ra of the Curd world!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Most Europeans, and also Christians in America, absolutely worship Kraft Cheeses 🙂

It's even sold in Holland and neighbouring countries which have loads and loads of cheese....i also don't understand why people buy it...it must be very cheap i guess...that's the only reason i can think of...or they are too lazy to slice their cheese. Pre-sliced cheese isn't so cheap in Holland but it is in Germany....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mold is a fungi. Fungi which will propagate on cheese will, quite logically, develop in countries where cheese is abundant.

 

Cheese is a very rare commodity in Thailand, therefor the fungi which develops on cheese will not be naturally occurring in the environment.

 

Does that sound logical to you @Thian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what was on internet regarding California Sekect Gouda..

 

I’m America and not a fan of the K... sliced cheese. Maybe it makes you mind think it’s cheese.

 

When I see fake cheese always wonder how it’s made

 

8D25E67C-44A7-4309-803D-68FCB50A8167.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Mold is a fungi. Fungi which will propagate on cheese will, quite logically, develop in countries where cheese is abundant.

 

Cheese is a very rare commodity in Thailand, therefor the fungi which develops on cheese will not be naturally occurring in the environment.

 

Does that sound logical to you @Thian?

Well i learned that anything is possible in Thailand...but i had cheese here brought from holland, never frozen, which got some mold after a while after i opened and closed it....

 

I can test it again, have plenty of cheese in the freezer...real gouda. Now my wife wants to test everything we eat ( i showed her that burger of 20 years old )so it's a good experiment. We need mold or we won't eat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well i learned that anything is possible in Thailand...but i had cheese here brought from holland, never frozen, which got some mold after a while after i opened and closed it....

Then you will have imported the fungi spore along with the cheese. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Then you will have imported the fungi spore along with the cheese. 🙂

 

I'm pretty sure that there also plenty of fungi in thailand which are everywhere and love to grow on cheese.

 

I'm no fungus expert but would you think that if i bring fresh dutch cheese to Isan for example where there are no fungus spores for dutch cheese the cheese won't get mould?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

You absolutely totally cannot buy  Stilton here - cut from a whole cheese , correctly pampered - never ! 

Oh well the Stilton I had cut from the "wheel" of Stilton must have been an illusion. Can and have bought it here, but as for the "pampering", well I didn't know its mother, so can't say!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thian said:

I'm pretty sure that there also plenty of fungi in thailand which are everywhere and love to grow on cheese.

 

I'm no fungus expert but would you think that if i bring fresh dutch cheese to Isan for example where there are no fungus spores for dutch cheese the cheese won't get mould?

There are thousand of different strains of fungi on this planet and they are actually essential for the environment to flourish. But each one has its is own special niche and they can only propagate if their particular niche (food if you like) is available.

 

The particular strain of fungi that would happily munch away on you packet of cheese is not present in this environment. Therefor no mould.

 

But if you bring a packet of cheese in from abroad and traces of the spore are in the packaging, which is very common, then you will see mould develop. Remember that fungi is often used in the maturing of cheese, so it would be almost impossible to completely eliminate it.

 

You've got me hankering after a bit of cheese now and don't have any in at the moment. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There are thousand of different strains of fungi on this planet and they are actually essential for the environment to flourish. But each one has its is own special niche and they can only propagate if their particular niche (food if you like) is available.

 

The particular strain of fungi that would happily munch away on you packet of cheese is not present in this environment. Therefor no mould.

 

But if you bring a packet of cheese in from abroad and traces of the spore are in the packaging, which is very common, then you will see mould develop. Remember that fungi is often used in the maturing of cheese, so it would be almost impossible to completely eliminate it.

 

You've got me hankering after a bit of cheese now and don't have any in at the moment. 🙂

 

So if i bring a vacuum pack (which i sterilise at the outside) of cheese to the mount everest it won't get mould there?

 

I never heard of this but it might be possible.

 

So i can also open this pack of california cheese and it won't get mold? I can try that since i want it out of the kitchen anyway..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...