U.S. vows 100% tariffs on French Champagne, cheese, handbags over digital tax

webfact

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

You are not making sense anymore. Tariffs and taxes are two distinctly different things. California can not raise any tax, tariff or anything that is beyond the borders of the USA. They do however have outrageous state and local taxes with in California.

I'm not making sense?

Of course California cannot raise the taxes in another country or state. Why on earth would you think that I believe they could.

Let me go through this again line by line. Read it slowly and carefully.

The United States has imposed tariffs on French products. This is in retaliation for France imposing taxes to prevent corporations evading taxation in France.

France is a member of the EU.

The EU would be perfectly within their right to impose tariffs on products and services from the USA in response. This is called a trade war.

You are defending the actions of Trump. You think the tariffs are a good thing.

Now my question to you was how would you feel if the EU imposed tariffs on the USA because California (or any other state within the US) changed its tax law?   

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I'm not making sense?

Of course California cannot raise the taxes in another country or state. Why on earth would you think that I believe they could.

Let me go through this again line by line. Read it slowly and carefully.

The United States has imposed tariffs on French products. This is in retaliation for France imposing taxes to prevent corporations evading taxation in France.

France is a member of the EU.

The EU would be perfectly within their right to impose tariffs on products and services from the USA in response. This is called a trade war.

Now my question to you was how would you feel if the EU imposed tariffs on the USA because California (or any other state within the US) changed its tax law?   

The question you are asking me is flawed. How would you feel if Santa Claus didn't exist? California is not able to impose such taxes. When they do the SALT tax the maximum deduction is around $11,000. So you will lose money in California 

5 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

The question you are asking me is flawed. How would you feel if Santa Claus didn't exist? California is not able to impose such taxes. When they do the SALT tax the maximum deduction is around $11,000. So you will lose money in California 

I think you are doing this on purpose.

You simply cannot be this dense. 

2 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Likewise. Good night.

You have simply avoided answering the questions I have put to you.

How would you feel if the positions were reversed and it was the USA being subjected to tariffs?

What gives Trump the right to determine what taxes a sovereign nation can or cannot have?

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You have simply avoided answering the questions I have put to you.

How would you feel if the positions were reversed and it was the USA being subjected to tariffs?

What gives Trump the right to determine what taxes a sovereign nation can or cannot have?

I am too dense. Your job now is to be the bigger man. You win. The USA won nd went to court to do so. Trump has the right as the leader of my country to set tariffs.

4 hours ago, nkg said:

I am no fan of Trump's trade negotiations, but nobody seems to mention that the US is collecting a lot of tax money on the back of tariffs.

The US collected $7 Billion in September, which would equate to an annual total of over $80 Billion by September 2020.

sadly paid by the US citizens....... not by the Chinese as he (falsely) claimed

4 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

A few things. A new agreement with Mexico and Canada for one thing but I never mentioned HIS negotiations. Read my msg again. I noted that those that came before him were sad negotiators. 

really a new agreement with Mexico & Canada, do you care to provide supporting data to back up your statement

Just now, Mavideol said:

sadly paid by the US citizens....... not by the Chinese as he (falsely) claimed

I'm also no fan of Trump.

However he did point out that whilst the EU levies a 10% import duty on US car imports, the US only levies a 2.5% import duty on EU car imports.

As I say, even though I don't like the guy, but he has a valid point on some of this stuff.

Another thing being, the Chinese gvt subsidises many of it's industries, illegal in the UK.

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Dont think its the items in question thats the issue.

agree, the items in question here or with the Chinese are not the real issue,  it's mainly the principle of trying to support his ego as master of the (no) deal

8 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

French champagne will be shipped to Canada (special friendship trade deal with France) and from Canada straight to the US with low or no taxes due to the new free trade agreement..... and there you have the relationship with the french champagne 555

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

French champagne will be shipped to Canada (special friendship trade deal with France) and from Canada straight to the US with low or no taxes due to the new free trade agreement..... and there you have the relationship with the french champagne 555

I guess it will all be okay then. I was really worried.

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Retaliate against what exactly? European companies are too dependent on American SaaS companies along with mega cloud companies. France has no clout and even LVMH is trying to build it's overpriced bags in Texas. 

100% of the central Euro Govs and banks can not survive with out American tech. We make better tech and overly acceptable cheese.

But tariffs aren't about doing without. They're just about paying more. And what's keeping Europe from favoring the Chinese version of 5G?

27 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I am too dense. Your job now is to be the bigger man. You win. The USA won nd went to court to do so. Trump has the right as the leader of my country to set tariffs.

And the EU can and should impose tariffs back.

The USA went to court and won the right to set import tariffs against France?

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

And the EU can and should impose tariffs back.

The USA went to court and won the right to set import tariffs against France?

Read the story and the stories that led to this. Yes, this is based upon past judgements. The Eu can do whatever they want to.

30 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Right. And soon the EU will be awarded an amount it can impose thanks to its successful case against illicit US support of its Aerospace industry.

13 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Read the story and the stories that led to this. Yes, this is based upon past judgements. The Eu can do whatever they want to.

The EU should impose tariffs on your financial services. Watch the USA economy crash and burn at that point.

Then no-one in the US will be buying champagne anyway.

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

France is in the EU.

California is in the USA.

So my example of the EU introducing tariffs is perfectly valid.

Did you not know France was is in the EU?  

Depends entirely on the specifics of what you are saying and the products you target. To be an equitable comparison, you must target only products made specifically in California and nowhere else in the USA. I'm not sure that you could really find such a product. You can't punish the entire USA for the decisions of Californi. Similarly, the US is not punishing the entirety of the EU for the decisions of France. It is specifically targeting only French products.

I can't think of any comparable item from California that would make your analogy valid.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Now my question to you was how would you feel if the EU imposed tariffs on the USA because California (or any other state within the US) changed its tax law

Are you equating France being in the EU, with California being a State in the United States of America? Do you equate the USA, a Federal Republic, with the EU? You no longer believe that France is a sovereign Nation? Trying to follow your logic here. The article states that France was not acting in unison with the EU, but that  this tax is something they undertook on their own accord. 

14 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Depends entirely on the specifics of what you are saying and the products you target. To be an equitable comparison, you must target only products made specifically in California and nowhere else in the USA. I'm not sure that you could really find such a product. You can't punish the entire USA for the decisions of Californi. Similarly, the US is not punishing the entirety of the EU for the decisions of France. It is specifically targeting only French products.

I can't think of any comparable item from California that would make your analogy valid.

Does the name Apple ring any bells?

>Anyone who believes Trump has done anything positive for the US on the world stage is delusional. This incompetent moron has to go before he drags your country further below North Korea and other idiot-run Rogue States.

The American economy is one of the strongest in the world, with record low unemployment, high growth, record stock market and manufacturing booming.

Oh the childish fantasies of the Trump deranged. 

48 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The EU should impose tariffs on your financial services. Watch the USA economy crash and burn at that point.

Then no-one in the US will be buying champagne anyway.

I favor the EU doing anything it feels like doing if they feel it will be of benefit to them. SO if you think it would be in their interest to attempt to crash and burn the US economy, by all means fire away. And right, there will be will be no buying any Champagne in the USA, from France. This has been a most thoughtful discussion.

Archived