U.S. vows 100% tariffs on French Champagne, cheese, handbags over digital tax

webfact

6 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

And as we all know money is the most important consideration ...

When the game is trade and tariffs the winning metric is money. Nothing else matters. That is what it is all about. I don't mean it for life in general but this thread is about tariffs. The items proposed are brilliant as they only affect the wealthy and are paid voluntarily only if you choose to consume certain products. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Catoholic said:

Mmmm, let's see... the world's best wine comes from California, the world's best cheese comes from Wisconsin and who the heck cares about handbags except for the fellas in France.

if you don't taste the difference don't pay for it… that's all

I once offered french Champagne to someone who used it for the preparation of an ice cream soda.. 555 

5 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

When the game is trade and tariffs the winning metric is money. Nothing else matters. That is what it is all about. I don't mean it for life in general but this thread is about tariffs. The items proposed are brilliant as they only affect the wealthy and are paid voluntarily only if you choose to consume certain products. 

I agree.

Good wine and cheese should be reserved for the wealthy, as they have better taste buds.

31 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I agree.

Good wine and cheese should be reserved for the wealthy, as they have better taste buds.

Don't you know the difference between a wino and a wine connoisseur?

About a million dollars ???? 

29 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I agree.

Good cheese and wine comes from all over the world. It isn't exclusive to France. If you need to consume French wine I guess you will have to pay the snob tax. California wines are some of the most respected in the world. One way you can tell a newbie to wine is if they have the perception that French wine is superior. 

Anyway a first world problem. Not too many people on TV are purchasing French Champagne and cheese in the USA. If the tariffs get out of hand I will personally move to Thailand where wine and cheese is a veritable bargain. I guess we will survive somehow in the poor, old, USA. 

17 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Good cheese and wine comes from all over the world. It isn't exclusive to France. If you need to consume French wine I guess you will have to pay the snob tax. California wines are some of the most respected in the world. One way you can tell a newbie to wine is if they have the perception that French wine is superior. 

Anyway a first world problem. Not too many people on TV are purchasing French Champagne and cheese in the USA. If the tariffs get out of hand I will personally move to Thailand where wine and cheese is a veritable bargain. I guess we will survive somehow in the poor, old, USA. 

the best wines and cheese are those you enjoy to combine if they match together well, wherever they come from. It's an experience, they do not need to be the most expansive, it's not just food, it's an "art de vivre'  

25 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

You would not recognize a joke if it hit you on your head.

American by any chance?

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You would not recognize a joke if it hit you on your head.

American by any chance?

Two American cannibals eating a clown, one says 'does this taste funny to you?'

The other one says 'No, just regular flesh, could use a side of fries......'

21 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Anyone who believes Trump has done anything positive for the US on the world stage is delusional. This incompetent moron has to go before he drags your country further below North Korea and other idiot-run Rogue States.

Again, why would America care or need to care for that matter, what the rest of the world thinks of it? Are you offering to protect America or feed its people?

NO? 

Didn't think so!

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Hardly. Macron greedily introduced a new way of selectively taxing American tech companies. 

Do you think the Americans should just bend over and let Macron shaft them?

Another America Hater:

Boris Johnson risks Trump clash in London as he pushes on with plan to tax US tech giants

Boris Johnson has risked clashing with Donald Trump during the president’s visit to London by insisting he will press ahead with a new tax on US tech giants.

The prime minister suggested he “deplores” Washington’s retaliatory action against France for imposing a similar levy.

From April next year, the UK is due to levy its own 2 per cent digital services tax on the revenues of search engines, social media platforms and online marketplaces that derive value from British users.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-trump-uk-visit-london-tax-plan-us-facebook-google-amazon-a9231211.html

1 hour ago, opalred said:

would trump and his friends be making money on the stock exchange

every time he changes his mind on tariffs  /you know he has been a con all his life

I would say they are because everybody in general has been making money on it.  My net worth has increased by 50% in two years in the time I have lived here. 

16 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

and if you now add in Romansh you should have covered all 4 spoken languages in Switzerland

latin is also in use for certain purposes

maybe at the church while having a mass  555

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Another America Hater:

Boris Johnson risks Trump clash in London as he pushes on with plan to tax US tech giants

Boris Johnson has risked clashing with Donald Trump during the president’s visit to London by insisting he will press ahead with a new tax on US tech giants.

The prime minister suggested he “deplores” Washington’s retaliatory action against France for imposing a similar levy.

From April next year, the UK is due to levy its own 2 per cent digital services tax on the revenues of search engines, social media platforms and online marketplaces that derive value from British users.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-trump-uk-visit-london-tax-plan-us-facebook-google-amazon-a9231211.html

Trump just wanted to divert attention from the impeachment and since Manu Macron is the one challenging him on Syria/Russia issues he just vented about the tariffs to French goods. The majority of the countries are or will follow the french taxation of tech giants (Google, Facebook Yahoo, etc. ) because they are collecting money/conducting business on these countries, thus normal to pay taxes on the money they collect on the respective countries, any other company does comply why not the tech companies, why do tech companies have to pay (minimal) taxes in the USA for the money they generated in other countries....

On 12/3/2019 at 10:15 AM, nkg said:

The Chinese are paying, not the US.

Prices of goods from China have not risen since the introduction of the tariffs. Chinese manufacturers are bearing the brunt of the tariffs. If they increase their prices, they know that South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia and others will step in and take over.

How are the Chinese paying for the tariffs? The tariffs are collected in the country that they are sent to by the importers who will in turn charge more for their goods.

21 hours ago, Srikcir said:

If France applies the tax "across the board" to all digital services operating within France, that would seem to be a fair and nondiscriminatory tax. That tax would be passed through to the French consumer, so where's the protectionism?

Furthermore, a threatened US tax against import of French products is inconsistent against the French tax against French-based services. While Trump doesn't distinguish between Services and Products (see China for example), I expect WTO views the two as separate and unrelated trade issues. As such there is no protectionism relevant to Trump's tariff threats. If Trump threatened to retaliate against French services performed in the US, that would be on par with the French domestic tax on digital services.

More importantly what happened to the US-France agreement regarding the digital tax?

https://www.worldwideerc.org/news/france-united-states-make-deal-on-french-digital-services-tax/

• The United States and France announced at the end of the August G-7 meeting in France that they had reached a compromise on the digital services tax recently implemented by France and strenuously objected to by the U.S.
  • Under the deal, France has agreed that once a globally agreed approach to taxing the digital economy is reached, it will credit any French digital taxes paid in excess of those that would have been paid under whatever new global agreement eventually comes into play.

Seems Trump is reneging on the agreement.

Seems Trump is reneging on the agreement.

Now that is a surprise (not).

19 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

No parts of Switzerland speak French it is not part of France 

Switzerland is not a part of Germany, France or Italy but those 3 ARE official languages in Switzerland.

Please do a little research on your subject before posting.

Switzerland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

Switzerland occupies the crossroads of Germanic and Romance Europe, as reflected in its four linguistic areas: German, French, Italian and Romansh. 

14 hours ago, nkg said:

You didn't read what I said.

Chinese goods have not got more expensive for US customers. Here is why:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2019/05/17/here-is-how-china-is-really-paying-for-tariffs/#67ded16c1fae

Yes, importers have also taken some of the cost, but so far they have been absorbing this rather than passing it on to the customers.

These importers will be looking at other countries to see if they can supply the same products. South Korea and Taiwan are rubbing their hands their hands with glee. Which is the WHOLE POINT of the tariffs - reduce the US's dependance on China.

Silly me. There was I thinking that thread was about France and the USA and you manage to throw China into the melting pot.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Switzerland is not a part of Germany, France or Italy but those 3 ARE official languages in Switzerland.

Please do a little research on your subject before posting.

Switzerland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

Switzerland occupies the crossroads of Germanic and Romance Europe, as reflected in its four linguistic areas: German, French, Italian and Romansh. 

When did I ever mentioned Switzerland is part of Germany, maybe you should learn how to read.

And I should know the history I was born there. I am very well aware which 3 languages are

spoken in Switzerland and I was replying to a poster who said Switzerland is part of France,

so get your facts right before you post nonsense. 

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

When did I ever mentioned Switzerland is part of Germany, maybe you should learn how to read.

And I should know the history I was born there. I am very well aware which 3 languages are

spoken in Switzerland and I was replying to a poster who said Switzerland is part of France,

The problem is not that he cannot read, it's that you cannot write.

EU continues hawkishness on the US and levies taxes on US tech while shoring up cheap goods trade from organ-harvesting, concentration camp loving Beijing.

Germany creates energy dependence on Russian gas while underpaying its NATO commitments, whose foremost antagonist is Russia.

US takes stance on Hong Kong and Uighur concentration camps. Where is the EU? What happened to German guilt? Shameless.

3 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Even though there are 4 official languages.

What you actually posted was this.

quote  #23 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

No parts of Switzerland speak French it is not part of France "

When did I say Switzerland was part of Germany?

Read my post #143 and see if you can find it.

40 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Even though there are 4 official languages.

What you actually posted was this.

quote  #23 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

No parts of Switzerland speak French it is not part of France "

When did I say Switzerland was part of Germany?

Read my post #143 and see if you can find it.

Well Maybe I should have put in a comma after no, the other poster said Switzerland

is part of France,and I answered NO,parts of Switzerland speak French and it is not part Of France.

Archived