China bars U.S. military ships, aircraft from Hong Kong, sanctions U.S.-based NGOs

webfact

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, webfact said:

There are fears that the dispute over Hong Kong could impact efforts by Beijing and Washington to reach a preliminary deal to de-escalate a prolonged trade war between the world's two largest economies.

I've just read all 3 pages of responses to the OP. My take is a little different.

It is in this statement (see above in full).

I personally do not see any quick end to this trade war. New obstacles keep rearing their heads and must be solved. More obstacles are probably yet to come. Maybe even a POTUS change.

So my suggestion is just learn to work within the new "tit for tat" pricing. Treat business as usual, Strive to derive new export markets if that is what you do. Pretend this is the new economy, until it isn't. Get over it. Work within it.

17 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Those of us who live in China have known the one child policy to be defunct for a long time now.  It leads to the "Little Emperor/Empress Syndrome".  This has nothing to do with individual rights, instead is a choice that the parents make as to which child they will keep.  You would be surprised just how many times it is the mother that decides.

13 hours ago, rabas said:

Well yes, now that they let women have names. 

Before the communist party forced women to have names for registration, many rural women were essentially nameless. They were only known and addressed by kinship terms, teknonyms [mother of so and so], or category terms such as "old woman".

On the other hand, men often had several names based on their social importance.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/644457?seq=1

and you believe that China is the only country to have had this?  Also, I thought we were discussing present day, not passed days.

12 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

That’s the problem No Women, one child policy , you know what they did to female babies, and and Bloomberg , South China Morning News , homophobic trolls for CCP on those sites , where’s your research to support your comment  

Research?  What about many years living there?  What about having a Chinese wife?  What about owning property there?  What about eyes to see with rather than 3rd party internet reports.  Propaganda is a two way street usually used by either side for nefarious reasons.

9 hours ago, Redline said:

Not true, but a glimpse of freedom I guess.  Do you mean women can be in the communist party?

We have several female friends who are members of the Communist Party.  As to the central committee, I am not sure.  I cannot think of a job in China that I have not seen a woman doing except for gender specific jobs perhaps.

If this was happening in the United States, the Army would have placed it under Marshall Law and full force would have been used long before 6 months had passed. 

IMOP China needs to send in the army.... lt's time to end this!!!

HK was part of Mainland China and just because it was colonised by the British, for a very short time l might add. It is still Chinese territory!!!

5 hours ago, car720 said:

We have several female friends who are members of the Communist Party.  As to the central committee, I am not sure.  I cannot think of a job in China that I have not seen a woman doing except for gender specific jobs perhaps.

Just because women can work, does not make them equal, it makes them productive to the system.

They used to abort females until a few years back.

Families were cursed for having female children.

Now they have some benefits of being sought after because of the imbalance of male vs females.  Are there a lot of ladyboys there ????

2 minutes ago, Redline said:

Just because women can work, does not make them equal, it makes them productive to the system.

They used to abort females until a few years back.

Families were cursed for having female children.

Now they have some benefits of being sought after because of the imbalance of male vs females.  Are there a lot of ladyboys there ????

Not many.  Very rare actually.  My wife's family came through since Mao and they have 3 children.  2 girls and a boy.  I guess nobody told them about the one child policy.

I never believe anything that I hear (including every type of media), and, only half of what I see with my own eyes.  That way I get closer to the truth.

5 minutes ago, car720 said:

Not many.  Very rare actually.  My wife's family came through since Mao and they have 3 children.  2 girls and a boy.  I guess nobody told them about the one child policy.

I never believe anything that I hear (including every type of media), and, only half of what I see with my own eyes.  That way I get closer to the truth.

That is always the best way to operate, although I did a lot of research on this for a research paper.  It would depend on where they lived, status, connections, local enforcement...

Good for them for not falling into the trap of the system. I’m assuming there are/were affluent 

2 minutes ago, Redline said:

That is always the best way to operate, although I did a lot of research on this for a research paper.  It would depend on where they lived, status, connections, local enforcement...

Good for them for not falling into the trap of the system. I’m assuming there are/were affluent 

No.  They were party members. :cheesy:

Having researched a paper on this subject I am sure that you would be aware of just how diverse China really is and just how much attention is usually paid to the letter of the law.

16 minutes ago, car720 said:

No.  They were party members. :cheesy:

Having researched a paper on this subject I am sure that you would be aware of just how diverse China really is and just how much attention is usually paid to the letter of the law.

It’s diverse, that’s why the laws are so strict yes-there was, and still is, widespread corruption there.  It doesn’t matter where you are, connections and cash get you what you want.  My sister has been there most of her life, and she has many friends in positions of influence.  I also lived with Chinese PhD students for 10+ years in Cambridge MA.  They attended Harvard (my employer before I moved to Thailand) and MIT.  I’m not oblivious to Chinese culture or history.  I has changed rapidly since Xi however.  Do you ever think of moving there?

18 hours ago, car720 said:

There are several dozen female members of the Central Committee, also female members from each of the minorities. Including Tibet and Xinjiang. There is one female member of the NPC.

12 hours ago, car720 said:

Like you, my wife is one of three sisters, she has a younger brother. Only the urban Han were subject to the one child policy.

Few westerners understand it. They always focus on the abortions and sterilisations of which there were relevantly few, but that is all they had to educate themselves by. Western propaganda.

One member on here and I quote said 'I had a six hour layover in Shanghai, that was enough to put me off ever going back to China.' You couldn't make central Shanghai from either airport in less than two hours. What did he see? The airport.

I mean, what can you do with attitudes like that?

14 hours ago, Redline said:

It’s diverse, that’s why the laws are so strict yes-there was, and still is, widespread corruption there.  It doesn’t matter where you are, connections and cash get you what you want.  My sister has been there most of her life, and she has many friends in positions of influence.  I also lived with Chinese PhD students for 10+ years in Cambridge MA.  They attended Harvard (my employer before I moved to Thailand) and MIT.  I’m not oblivious to Chinese culture or history.  I has changed rapidly since Xi however.  Do you ever think of moving there?

I'm sorry I thought I mentioned earlier.  I have a house their were I live when I am not living elsewhere.  I used to lecture in the same rooms as Minnie Vautrin.  I am sure you know that name.

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

There are several dozen female members of the Central Committee, also female members from each of the minorities. Including Tibet and Xinjiang. There is one female member of the NPC.

Like you, my wife is one of three sisters, she has a younger brother. Only the urban Han were subject to the one child policy.

Few westerners understand it. They always focus on the abortions and sterilisations of which there were relevantly few, but that is all they had to educate themselves by. Western propaganda.

One member on here and I quote said 'I had a six hour layover in Shanghai, that was enough to put me off ever going back to China.' You couldn't make central Shanghai from either airport in less than two hours. What did he see? The airport.

I mean, what can you do with attitudes like that?

Pleased to meet you friend.  It is always good to meet another citizen of the world.

Archived