amount in account after emergency operation

2 hours ago, Spike1938 said:

However, I now require the insertion of a cardiac stent and I may not be able to wait until Jan.

If I get it sooner I will go under the required 400000 THB required.

Are you or your wife in a position to obtain a bank loan? Do you have family in your homeland who may be able to help individually or collectively?

7 hours ago, moontang said:

heart operations are cheap in India...great success ratss, too.  The American made stents are expensive...don't know what has been done about that.  I heard 200k in Chiang Mai several years ago.

i had a valve replaced in india 10 years ago.  at the time the entire package (valve, operation, meds, 1 week hospital, 1`week beach resort, RT flight) was about $12k, or less than 10% the cost in a us hospital. 

at the time the same model valve alone cost over $10k in the usa.  put the whole thing on a credit card, then transferred to a 0% credit card offer to delay paying immediately.

i believe a stent install should be considerably less expensive, probably less than $5k.

6 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i had a valve replaced in india 10 years ago.  at the time the entire package (valve, operation, meds, 1 week hospital, 1`week beach resort, RT flight) was about $12k, or less than 10% the cost in a us hospital. 

at the time the same model valve alone cost over $10k in the usa.  put the whole thing on a credit card, then transferred to a 0% credit card offer to delay paying immediately.

i believe a stent install should be considerably less expensive, probably less than $5k.

What city/facility?  Any hot nurses?

22 minutes ago, Laurie Hansen said:

Spike 1938 Q; how much are the stink /s and what hospital is it I have 1 at 40% and 1 at 60% Australian doctor just gave me tablets and though me out the door. 

Any help would be great Thanks Laurie.

Believe the current medical standard is not to do stents with less than 70% blockage unless symptoms involved.  They appear to have been used way too much when they were the fad and current medical opinion is much less enthusiastic.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/11/16/embargoed-drugs-are-effective-invasive-procedures-patients-with-stable-heart-disease-major-trial-finds/

May I kindly suggest you get a second opinion and complete additional medical research.

Note:  In new literature, in certain cardiac situations, it has been found medication as a solution is just as effective as a

surgical procedure.   My grandfather was a surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic -- he always suggested getting a second

opinion without initially advising the consulting MD of the result of the first opinion.  You may feel more confident moving

forward if you have additional information.  You may also seek cardiac professionals with a background in management of cardiac issues

using medication-- good luck; however, I urge you, if possible, to investigate options before rushing into a surgical solution which may carry

more risks than management of certain cardiac conditions via medication.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SurinRice said:

May I kindly suggest you get a second opinion and complete additional medical research.

Note:  In new literature, in certain cardiac situations, it has been found medication as a solution is just as effective as a

surgical procedure.   My grandfather was a surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic -- he always suggested getting a second

opinion without initially advising the consulting MD of the result of the first opinion.  You may feel more confident moving

forward if you have additional information.  You may also seek cardiac professionals with a background in management of cardiac issues

using medication-- good luck; however, I urge you, if possible, to investigate options before rushing into a surgical solution which may carry

more risks than management of certain cardiac conditions via medication.  

I actually have the opinion of 3 intervention cardiologists. Until now meds have worked but my condition is worsening. But thanks for your input

15 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

However, then there is cost of airfare, hotels etc. 

1 hour ago, Spike1938 said:

I actually have the opinion of 3 intervention cardiologists. Until now meds have worked but my condition is worsening. But thanks for your input

Have you discussed with the cardiologists the urgency of the procedure? Obviously not encouraging taking any risks, but in the UK the average NHS waiting time for angioplasty is 6-7 weeks. 

3 hours ago, Spike1938 said:

However, then there is cost of airfare, hotels etc. 

As well as the question of whether it is medically safe for you to fly.

You do not want to have a heart attack midair. And you are in imminent danger of one if you need stents.

6 hours ago, Laurie Hansen said:

Spike 1938 Q; how much are the stink /s and what hospital is it I have 1 at 40% and 1 at 60% Australian doctor just gave me tablets and though me out the door. 

Any help would be great Thanks Laurie.

Anywhere in the world, would not usually do a stent for blockage of 40 and 60%. Medication would be normal standard of care. Only when blockage exceeds 70% would stents be a consideration.

OP - what rice have you been quoted? At a government hospital a single stent will cost under 200K., probably around 150 - 160K if no complications.   You can take 100K from your bank account and still have maintained the minimum balance required fro your current visa as well as for the upcoming marriage extension. Figure out a way to get the rest, is the best advice I think. Even if it means a loan.

Rajawithi Hospital in Bangkok is excellent, was the first in Thailand to do heart surgery. Chula and Siriraj also excellent.  Or CMU Hospital (Suan Doc), KKU Hospital (Srinagarind), Prince of Songkhla Univ Hosp.

Then if there are complications and costs correspondingly higher than your case reserves, sign a payment contract with the hospital for the excess and pay it off in installments.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 9:03 PM, moontang said:

What city/facility?  Any hot nurses?

sorry for late response.  in china now, and vpn's have not been working.  thaivisa won't allow logins from a china isp.

anyhoo......i had the valve job done at apollo in chennai.  food was great, nurses were professional.

• Thanks 1