Vietjet to offer daily Pattaya-Saigon flights

Kaoboi Bebobp

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked in Ho Chi Minh City for ten years. My Vietnamese colleagues referred to the city as Sai Gon. They weren't making a political point or longing for bygone times - most weren't born till after the troubles - they were using the city's common name as locals do. When I got in a taxi, I could have said, Quan Bay, Quan 7, District 7 or Phu My Hung, and got to the same place. Just a name to communicate a destination. 

On 12/3/2019 at 1:14 PM, Matzzon said:

No need for any Wiki. If you would have done the same, you would know there are 19 urban districts and 5 rural district that binds together the Ho Chi Minh City. Out of the reason Saigon is one of the districts it can no longer be the city name. It was Saigon up until 1976, when it was lawfully changed to Ho Chi Minh City. 

If it´s still widely used has no point. The only point that makes is that people do not keep up with the changes, which is extremely common and visible in this forum.

The reason why they call it Saigon, is because they are using the name of the district you, probably, usually reside in on your business trips. That due to it´s the place where you find the old part of Ho Chi Minh City and most of the entertainment.

Regarding the spare thing. Well, I guess that´s a little late now. I

Yawn - what a bore

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

This route will be busy, and profitable for the airline.  They may even have to increase the amount of flights.

Not sure why.... is the Bangkok to Saigon Vietjet particularly busy?

Who are the target customers?....The Russians, Chinese and Indians are all on packages and not independent travelers. Westerners... from what I read, soon won't be any in Pattaya. Thai and Vietnamese maybe? Two centre packages?

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure why.... is the Bangkok to Saigon Vietjet particularly busy?

Who are the target customers?....The Russians, Chinese and Indians are all on packages and not independent travelers. Westerners... from what I read, soon won't be any in Pattaya. Thai and Vietnamese maybe? Two centre packages?

I have flown Bangkok to Saigon, and return, with Vietjet, a few times.  The plane was full on every occasion.  There were Vietnamese tour groups onboard, as they were all wearing the same colored hats. 

The main reason I would say that is a popular route is because Vietjet is allowed to fly into Suvarnabhmi Airport, not Don Mueang, despite them being a budget airline.

The Saigon to Utapeo route will also be used by Vietnamese tour groups that mayl fly into Pattaya, then fly out of Bangkok, or vise versa. 

I think it will also be popular with visa runners, and maybe some expats looking for a few days away as a change, in both places, and if things keep going here the way they are, I would not be surprised if bar girls start using this route in the future, in the same way they go working in Singapore and Malaysia. 

45 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have flown Bangkok to Saigon, and return, with Vietjet, a few times.  The plane was full on every occasion.  There were Vietnamese tour groups onboard, as they were all wearing the same colored hats. 

The main reason I would say that is a popular route is because Vietjet is allowed to fly into Suvarnabhmi Airport, not Don Mueang, despite them being a budget airline.

The Saigon to Utapeo route will also be used by Vietnamese tour groups that mayl fly into Pattaya, then fly out of Bangkok, or vise versa. 

I think it will also be popular with visa runners, and maybe some expats looking for a few days away as a change, in both places, and if things keep going here the way they are, I would not be surprised if bar girls start using this route in the future, in the same way they go working in Singapore and Malaysia. 

Yes, Vietnamese tourists almost always visit only two places in Thailand, Bangkok and Pattaya, so I'll bet that they are the main target group of Vietjet. 

I hope this route is more successful than AirAsia 's Don Mueang to Can Tho, recently cut from 3 to 2 flights a week, and still 80% empty when I took this flight last week. I have a feeling that airasia will scrap this route altogether soon. 

On 12/3/2019 at 12:56 PM, observer90210 said:

Patts-Saigon right ? now what could this mean ?....the resident blokes flying away from Patts to monger in Ho-Chi-M-Ville, with cheaper booze and hotties ?

Unlikely as the girls in HCMC want double the Pattaya price.

But the beer is a lot cheaper, and it's a good destination to buy your 'non-o' VISA.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Unlikely as the girls in HCMC want double the Pattaya price.

So if some Thai hookers can undercut the Vietnamese hookers, but still get more than they can get in Pattaya, and with a cheaper cost of living in Vietnam, cha ching.  ????

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

So if some Thai hookers can undercut the Vietnamese hookers, but still get more than they can get in Pattaya, and with a cheaper cost of living in Vietnam, cha ching.  ????

Doubt it, Vietnam is not Japan or Singapore :In addition to the language barrier, Vietnamese hookers and pimps wouldn't look kindly on cheaper competition from LOS. You don't see Thai hookers in Cambodia, the Philippines or Vietnam:they all have plenty of their own sex workers. 

48 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Doubt it, Vietnam is not Japan or Singapore :In addition to the language barrier, Vietnamese hookers and pimps wouldn't look kindly on cheaper competition from LOS. You don't see Thai hookers in Cambodia, the Philippines or Vietnam:they all have plenty of their own sex workers. 

Pattaya has thousands of Thai hookers, but take a walk down Beach Road at night.  There are hookers from all over the world working down there.

Have a look on hook up apps.  Same thing.  Chinese hookers working off apps here also. 

Nothing for a Thai hooker to freelance out of a nightclub in Saigon, the same way Russians do in Bangkok, and here. 

To clarify, I was talking specifically about Saigon, not Vietnam in general. 

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Pattaya has thousands of Thai hookers, but take a walk down Beach Road at night.  There are hookers from all over the world working down there

What more could you ask for ?

Chinese or Indian tonight ?

Think that I'll have a Kebab

7 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Would someone please answer a question that is of interest to Thai Visa readers of the pedantic thread 

Can you obtain a "O" visa based on retirement at the Thai Consulate in: ?

HCM.PNG.71ed739d5a0d8124ecbea0fa03d5f90d.PNG

The consulate web site specifically lists only 3 "O" categories: supporting Thai children, married to a Thai and joining a volunteer organization. And there's the O-A for Viet citizens, I guess. 

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Pattaya has thousands of Thai hookers, but take a walk down Beach Road at night.  There are hookers from all over the world working down there.

Have a look on hook up apps.  Same thing.  Chinese hookers working off apps here also. 

Nothing for a Thai hooker to freelance out of a nightclub in Saigon, the same way Russians do in Bangkok, and here. 

To clarify, I was talking specifically about Saigon, not Vietnam in general. 

Thailand, especially Pattaya and Bangkok, are pretty unique in this respect:Not only LOS, but also LOH. 

Sure you might find the occasional Thai freelancer in a Saigon nightclub, but nothing on the scale of the African, Russian, Usbekistani freelancer you find in the Nana area of Sukhumvit for example. 

Even in Angeles City, where the girls now charge more than in Pattaya, I haven't seen a single Thai.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, Matzzon said:

That´s impossible. There is no city with the name of Saigon.

Sir the name of the city is Saigon and will always be Saigon to anyone who loves freedom.....The the only people who call the place Ho Chi Minh are yellow bellied Commies...

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

Sir the name of the city is Saigon and will always be Saigon to anyone who loves freedom.....The the only people who call the place Ho Chi Minh are yellow bellied Commies...

Do not come here and Sir me with your nonsense. The official name of the city was Saigon up until end of 1975 or let´s say up to july 1976. After that the name changed to Ho Chi Minh City. If you love freedom does not change official names. Today Saigon is a district in Ho Chi Minh City.

Your comment is same stupid like saying The name is not Washington, it´s Trumpington for everyone that hate mexicans.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, thecyclist said:

Yes, Vietnamese tourists almost always visit only two places in Thailand, Bangkok and Pattaya, so I'll bet that they are the main target group of Vietjet. 

I hope this route is more successful than AirAsia 's Don Mueang to Can Tho, recently cut from 3 to 2 flights a week, and still 80% empty when I took this flight last week. I have a feeling that airasia will scrap this route altogether soon. 

What did you think about Can Tho? One of the few Vietnamese cities I've yet to visit. 

16 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Thailand, especially Pattaya and Bangkok, are pretty unique in this respect:Not only LOS, but also LOH. 

Sure you might find the occasional Thai freelancer in a Saigon nightclub, but nothing on the scale of the African, Russian, Usbekistani freelancer you find in the Nana area of Sukhumvit for example. 

Even in Angeles City, where the girls now charge more than in Pattaya, I haven't seen a single Thai.

I agree that is currently the situation here, but I am talking about in the future, where it's possible some Thai hookers start to follow the tourist money, and that appears to be Vietnam at the moment.

I believe they are only allowed 1 month in Singapore, per year, and please correct me if that is wrong.  With Vietnam, there is no back to back restrictions.  They can effectively live there, working out of nightclubs and bars in District 1, for tourists and expats. 

I am not saying this will happen next month, not even next year, but from what I see, sexpats are in short supply in Pattaya at the moment, and it's not impossible that some Thai hookers end up going to work in Saigon, in the same way they go to Singapore.

4 hours ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

What did you think about Can Tho? One of the few Vietnamese cities I've yet to visit. 

One of my favorite Vietnamese cities. The locals are friendly and honest (like in most of the Delta region) :none of the gauging that tourists often encounter in touristy areas like Nha Trang or especially Hoi An, a place that in spite of its beauty I abhor. 

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree that is currently the situation here, but I am talking about in the future, where it's possible some Thai hookers start to follow the tourist money, and that appears to be Vietnam at the moment.

I believe they are only allowed 1 month in Singapore, per year, and please correct me if that is wrong.  With Vietnam, there is no back to back restrictions.  They can effectively live there, working out of nightclubs and bars in District 1, for tourists and expats. 

I am not saying this will happen next month, not even next year, but from what I see, sexpats are in short supply in Pattaya at the moment, and it's not impossible that some Thai hookers end up going to work in Saigon, in the same way they go to Singapore.

I kind of hope that will happen :my Vietnamese is still in its infancy and the locals English language skills are even worse than in Siam. Professionals I can communicate with would be great. But it would  probably be restricted to Saigon. 

18 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I kind of hope that will happen :my Vietnamese is still in its infancy and the locals English language skills are even worse than in Siam. Professionals I can communicate with would be great. But it would  probably be restricted to Saigon. 

I don't speak any Vietnamese, but it's been my experience in Saigon that locals speak very good English, so I have never needed to learn any.  I say this with the exception of taxi drivers, but Grab is available in Vietnam.

I agree that if / when some Thai bar girls go to Vietnam to work, it would probably only be to Saigon.

Archived