Thaiexpat TV: British man receives biggest ever fine for running illegal streaming service in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I was speaking to two other Brits who were wanted in the UK and were allowed just to walk away and commit crimes here. By helping him in getting bail they DID aid and abet him, and to me it's apparent that the government is getting totally dysfunctional on a lot of different fronts.. 

helping someone get bail is not aiding and abetting, do you seriously think the British Embassy, and they do have their faults, sat around and discussed how they could help this guy get away? Getting bail is part of the judicial process. And what have two other Brits got to do with these guys, so because others were criminals before they left, then these must be too... some strange logic you have there

Drat- I had just got a new replacement box and paid for the subscription what they were arrested.

it was an excellent service.

It was just foolish to start getting involved with premier league ( I have no interest in football, could not name a footballer ( apart from Beckham) . The clubs , corrupt agents , etc etc are only interested in one thing - money and new Bentleys - they would pursue anyone even to the moon- if they thought they were losing 1 satang.

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

So the UK embassy requested bail for this guy who then ran away. First the country allows criminals to leave it's shores to pollute other countries and now they aid and abet a national to avoid prosecution. I'd be leery to believe anything they say going forward

At least he didn't get an income letter.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I still believe the idea that once the games are finished and broadcast on the TV in UK they become part of the public domain. Anyone should then be able to watch them the next day and after however they like from a recording. Independant tv makes it's money from advertising and and football teams make their money from fees paid by tv companies, gate prices and royalties from shirts etc being sold.

Once it's been broadcast in UK that should be the end of payments on it to the club and the tv companies. Should fair game for anyone else.

Should go for movies too.

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Should go for movies too.

Agree. Although I'm not a great movie fan, especially a lot of the tat that comes from US studios.

Once it's been in the cinemas for a couple of months it should be free to air for those who want to watch it.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I still believe the idea that once the games are finished and broadcast on the TV in UK they become part of the public domain.

And a song once it's been sang or a book once it's been read or a film once it's been seen or a logo once it's been used etc etc.

Really??? Get real!!

Meanwhile, Pol Col Phaisit Wongmeuang said there were many cases of Thailand being used as a base for copyright infringements still under investigation. 

Err.

Does this include self investigation?

Thailand is one of the biggest copyright infringement countries in the world. 

Just about everything is knock off as they call it. 

Even the official merchandise labels are knock off.. 

51 minutes ago, HHTel said:

And a song once it's been sang or a book once it's been read or a film once it's been seen or a logo once it's been used etc etc.

Really??? Get real!!

How long should a bar have to pay royalties on an Elvis song?

Memory tells me he died years ago.

2 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Meanwhile, Pol Col Phaisit Wongmeuang said there were many cases of Thailand being used as a base for copyright infringements still under investigation. 

Err.

Does this include self investigation?

Thailand is one of the biggest copyright infringement countries in the world. 

Just about everything is knock off as they call it. 

Even the official merchandise labels are knock off.. 

Genuine copy is what you're talking about. ????????

3 hours ago, kevin612 said:

when an expat involves with such incidents, Thai government will charge you more. Remember last week the topless restaurant waitresses, they were charged only 6000 baht if I remember correctly.

So the fine was in line with other fines?

Or keeping abreast of them. 

About 3000 a breast. Lol. 

I know this may well be deleted but I'm going to have my say anyway.

365sport was a great service, especially their catch-up which allowed one to view football & other sports games when one wanted to, not when True dictated. It also allowed viewing via the internet which the 'official provider' didn't.

The service they provided wouldn't have been necessary if the Premier League (& other sports bodies) didn't have a monopolistic policy towards rights holders. Only one rights holder per country or region meant that the price could be sky-high and the holder could pass the cost on to the screwed viewers.

All of this is why the Premier League & other leagues rake in a fortune, a portion of which is passed on to the clubs allowing them to pay ridiculous transfer fees (& wages too) for mixed-quality players. Yes, indirectly, True customers are partially paying those fees too.

I totally agree with posters that reruns of games/GPs/etc should be free-to-air or at least low cost to view. Allowing at least one provider to stream sports live online (paid for) to compete with cable TV would cut out the monopoly charging what they like.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

How long should a bar have to pay royalties on an Elvis song?

Memory tells me he died years ago.

Performers receive royalties from record sales and radio airplay for 50 years after a song is released. The person who composed that song, however, is entitled to the exclusive rights to their music and appropriate royalty payments for their entire life and a further 70 years after their death, a total of perhaps 120 years.

Premier  league don't  have much money. They must clamp down  on people that need tk watch sports overseas.

Think of these  poor media giants poor people..

Shows who really runs the world

The cooperations they are likenthe real mafia

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

The whole world should be grateful that Thailand is such a respectful, international law-abiding, intellectual property-respecting, completely non-corrupt country, and always ready to pounce on the evil farangs.

Especially when there's few million Baht in it ????

Archived