Thaiexpat TV: British man receives biggest ever fine for running illegal streaming service in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, kevin612 said:

when an expat involves with such incidents, Thai government will charge you more. Remember last week the topless restaurant waitresses, they were charged only 6000 baht if I remember correctly.

So you think the flimsy dress waitresses should have been fined 7 million baht?

Do you honestly think there is any comparison between wearing revealing clothes and copyright infringement and illegal streaming of live events that cost billions for an organisation to obtain?

Seriously boring, paranoid rubbish on here, yet again.

Yet I buy a few copied DVD's every week .... AT BIGC !!!

The most public place in Thailand

I am also the proud owner of several copied Adidas, Nike and after shaves like CK, Versace and more

My playstation could play dozens of games

I had a fake Iphone once

Just saying.... If i wrote the complete list, of what I and others I know, are able to source on the streets, you would not be amazed since it is not a secret

I am not against copied products

On the contrary I think that brand names overcharge

especially for a football game, like 1 poster mentioned, it should become public after being broadcasted

And 7 million is harsh to say the least for something that is integrated in the culture here

They were arrested 2 1/2 years ago, their names appear in many places on

the internet. Just Google 365 sport Thailand.

There is also a link to Thai visa where several posters are wondering what

happened to the free football they were enjoying around the time of the arrests????

4 hours ago, MarcB said:

Yet I buy a few copied DVD's every week .... AT BIGC !!!

The most public place in Thailand

I am also the proud owner of several copied Adidas, Nike and after shaves like CK, Versace and more

My playstation could play dozens of games

I had a fake Iphone once

Just saying.... If i wrote the complete list, of what I and others I know, are able to source on the streets, you would not be amazed since it is not a secret

I am not against copied products

On the contrary I think that brand names overcharge

especially for a football game, like 1 poster mentioned, it should become public after being broadcasted

And 7 million is harsh to say the least for something that is integrated in the culture here

Do you not understand the concept of live streaming?

Highlights of most games are available on you tube after the game is finished.

The law suit was brought by the the company who had paid billions for the right to

air the games live. As the culprits were in Thailand then it would make sense for the 

local authorities to act.

Knock off garment and other products factories are regularly raided and closed down, it 

doesn't make the news here as expats are rarely involved.

15 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

So the UK embassy requested bail for this guy who then ran away. First the country allows criminals to leave it's shores to pollute other countries and now they aid and abet a national to avoid prosecution. I'd be leery to believe anything they say going forward

Oof, here we go, bit of Brit bashing. Where you from, utopia non-criminal land of sheep or summat? Dodgy dudes EVERYWHERE, friend, though guess it suits your agenda them being Brits. For the cheap seats, this would be small news if foreign crims weren't getting ahead.

16 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I doubt that many kids nowadays get to see the sport as we did when I was young, pay per view/money etc being the problem.

You would be surprised how much of it is available online, full games can be downloaded only a few minutes after the official broadcast, and the younger generation knows how to get access to it. 

But we are not allowed to discuss this "hot" topic here.  

I can't help thinking that if this was a Thai that had been arrested this thread would be full of people saying it is typical Thai greed, Thai piracy, Thais love to copy things, take what's not their IP.

But as it was a farang the general response on here is that this should be free anyway (even though broadcasters pay billions for the rights) and good for him!

8 hours ago, MarcB said:

Is that the metaphorical streets you speak of? Its all been online since the noughties. no need to burn rubber any more.

17 hours ago, khunken said:

I know this may well be deleted but I'm going to have my say anyway.

365sport was a great service, especially their catch-up which allowed one to view football & other sports games when one wanted to, not when True dictated. It also allowed viewing via the internet which the 'official provider' didn't.

The service they provided wouldn't have been necessary if the Premier League (& other sports bodies) didn't have a monopolistic policy towards rights holders. Only one rights holder per country or region meant that the price could be sky-high and the holder could pass the cost on to the screwed viewers.

All of this is why the Premier League & other leagues rake in a fortune, a portion of which is passed on to the clubs allowing them to pay ridiculous transfer fees (& wages too) for mixed-quality players. Yes, indirectly, True customers are partially paying those fees too.

I totally agree with posters that reruns of games/GPs/etc should be free-to-air or at least low cost to view. Allowing at least one provider to stream sports live online (paid for) to compete with cable TV would cut out the monopoly charging what they like.

I disagree, this is the way how the game is played and that does not mean you can steal. I mean i can understand people wanting to download (i do the same thing) But I dont sell it to others to benefit myself. So while I might have understanding for people who watch / download I have no respect for those that make money with it. Because then it becomes stealing.

I don't get why you should be the one to decide what someone else should sell their services for. Would you like it as others decided what you could make with working. I don't mean someone else then you or your boss. It would be like customers could say you should take a paycut so they can have cheaper services. 

Sure monopolies are bad I agree with that but then its up to clubs and others to rise up .. not to start stealing just refusing to buy it and break the monopolie.

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yup

Figures for how many people watch which sport on a regular basis:

Football (Soccer) - 4 billion people

Cricket - 2 Billion people

Rugby, grid iron etc - 800 million people.

Football's far & away the only truly global team sport. It's also a sport that anyone can play, and you need very few resources for, just a ball (and jumpers for goalposts????).

21 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Drat- I had just got a new replacement box and paid for the subscription what they were arrested.

it was an excellent service.

It was just foolish to start getting involved with premier league ( I have no interest in football, could not name a footballer ( apart from Beckham) . The clubs , corrupt agents , etc etc are only interested in one thing - money and new Bentleys - they would pursue anyone even to the moon- if they thought they were losing 1 satang.

Quite, I am with you all ways on that.

They were asking for trouble doing it live, if thay had waited a bit probably a whole different story. They also made the mistake of running everything out of the same office, one down all down. I wasn't interested in the sport, just the TV.

As you say it was a good service and my wife liked it as it was so easy to use, well worth what they were charging. I was fortunate my subscription was just coming up for renewal when it went belly up.

What about the 2 TV stations in Pattaya and many others located around the country that are clearly operating and contradicting the 'Piracy' rules. When paying monthly subscriptions and when watching a movie it suddenly stops and message on screen says 'Please insert 2nd CD' - Oh I forgot they are Thai ! Hypocrisy at its best.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:16 PM, Andrew65 said:

When I were a lad in the UK it was possible to see boxing (Ali etc), either live, or at least highlights. I still like boxing to this day.

I doubt that many kids nowadays get to see the sport as we did when I was young, pay per view/money etc being the problem.

It still amazes me how people can enjoy watching two people knock the the cr@p out of each other for entertainment. :coffee1:

On 12/3/2019 at 6:34 AM, Chazar said:

an  overpaid silly  game

As long as mugs keep paying the silly prices Murdoch and sky are charging they,'ll keep overcharging,and don,t forget to buy your genuine replica shirts with adverts plastered all over the tit area bargain at only£50,

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

As long as mugs keep paying the silly prices Murdoch and sky are charging they,'ll keep overcharging,and don,t forget to buy your genuine replica shirts with adverts plastered all over the tit area bargain at only£50,

England Rugby shirt £65, not just football.

7 hours ago, generealty said:

What about the 2 TV stations in Pattaya and many others located around the country that are clearly operating and contradicting the 'Piracy' rules. When paying monthly subscriptions and when watching a movie it suddenly stops and message on screen says 'Please insert 2nd CD' - Oh I forgot they are Thai ! Hypocrisy at its best.

According to a friend, it's extremely hard to find pirated Thai films on DVD!

Can't for the life of me think why?!

Archived