Will I get back into Thailand under visa exception?

Hello,

I am not sure on how everything works as it has been my first time visiting Thailand. I am 32 and from Australia.

My trip has been:

- I flew to Bangkok and stayed 2 weeks

- i went to Vietnam for 2 weeks

- I flew back to Bangkok for 1 month under visa exemption and then decided to extended this for another month (stayed 2 months total)

- Tomorrow I go to Vietnam for 3 days and plan to fly back to bangkok

Will I get back into Thailand under visa exemption?

Edited by Andrew567
  • Haha 1

I don't think anyone can give a certain answer... but based on your history I say you are OK. Not so many VE's or accumulated time in Thailand. Have the required cash on you, equiv to 10,000 baht, maybe 20,000 is better, and a flight booking out within 30 days.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew567 said:

What does it depend on?

There are quite a number of factors. One of the main ones is whether the immigration official thinks you might be working illegally. The airport used is a factor: some are stricter than others. There is also just the personal factor. If an official likes you, he is less likely to give you grief.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I believe you will be OK this time. Make sure you have 20,000+ baht equivalent in a major currency. It would also be better to have a flight out of Thailand within 30 days. Prepare to be questioned about what you are doing in Thailand.

If you extend this visa exempt entry again, you will likely not be able to shortly thereafter fly back to Thailand visa exempt.

I have 120k in Thai baht but no other currency. Is this too much cash? Do I need another currency?

Edited by Andrew567

Interesting.  You've spent 8 of the last 10 weeks in Thailand on two separate visa exemptions and now, after a three day border run to Vietnam, you'll be re-entering on your third consecutive visa exemption within three months' period of time, carrying 120K thb in cash?  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TheAppletons said:

Interesting.  You've spent 8 of the last 10 weeks in Thailand on two separate visa exemptions and now, after a three day border run to Vietnam, you'll be re-entering on your third consecutive visa exemption within three months' period of time, carrying 120K thb in cash?  

It is only $6,000 AUD. Not a lot of money.

Edited by Andrew567
  • Like 2

Just now, Andrew567 said:

It is only $6,000 AUD.

Yeah, I'm not trying to give you a hard time....I'm trying to put myself into the position of the Immigration Officer and ask myself "what percentage of 'normal' tourists fit this profile?"

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Yeah, I'm not trying to give you a hard time....I'm trying to put myself into the position of the Immigration Officer and ask myself "what percentage of 'normal' tourists fit this profile?"

Okay I'll carry less cash. 

32 minutes ago, Andrew567 said:

So from the replies, it doesn't seem hopeful of being able to return ????

Thanks for the advice everyone.

In my view, while not a certainty, you would be very likely to be admitted this time. After another couple of months in Thailand as a tourist, an attempt to enter visa exempt at an airport would be very risky.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

49 minutes ago, Andrew567 said:

I don't think that was the point of TheAppletons post.  Carry as much cash as you like because that isn't going to influence to IO's decision unless you have none.  

• Like 2

I think you will be fine. I just enteted Thailand the 3rd time this year on visa exemption with extensions as well and a much bigger history than you have. Be prepared to get questioned and prepare the right answers + 20000+ in cash + a flight out of the country within 30 days and you'll be fine. 

43 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

What is the worst thing they can do with you? Send you back to Vietnam? Then you just try again through a land border.

Being denied entry to Vietnam due to to not having a visa for entry.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Andrew567 said:

So from the replies, it doesn't seem hopeful of being able to return ????

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I wouldn't say that. Chances are you'll be allowed in, though they might question you a bit. As long as you have the cash with you, I doubt they won't let you in.

There are not guarantees, however.

• Like 1

I suspect that to many IOs this might look like a visa run type situation. But you haven't actually spent that much time in Thailand really, depends if you get a grumpy IO or not. Much better to go by land.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

OP, your history  compared to MANY, is on the light side. Thinking you won't have a problem. Couple of things to keep in mind.

You have 2 border exempt entries per calendar year. You can enter via border no problem. You can also extend that by 30 days. If Vietnam is just to get ve entry I wouldn't select that. Remote possibility of being denied entry would be catastrophic.

If returned to Vietnam you most likely will be denied there. 

Take cheap flight to udon Thani. Chill and cross border nong Khai.

If Vietnam is a must and your worried fly eg Saigon to CNX, chill and then make your way to wherever.

• Like 2

Below is my track record. I have been using the visa exemption rules quite a lot. 

I also just landed in DMK from Vietnam yesterday and was stamped back in again in under 30 seconds. I was so worried having read all the stories here in advance and I was prepared to be pulled aside and to be asked questions, but I never was.

For preparation I carried 20.000 baht in cash on me, an onward flight ticket and my travel insurance papers in case they would ask to see any of this. 

TRACK RECORD

6 entries by air in Suvarnabhumi on the 30 days visa exemption, each stay ranging from 7-16 days since July 2018.

1. July 1st 2018 -July 14 2018 - (14 days)

2. October 11 2018 - October 18 2018 - (7 days)

3. December 21st 2018 - January 6 2019 (16 days)

4. February 7 2019 - February 14 (7 days)

5. April 14 2019 - April 22 2019 (8 days)

6. July 1 2019 - July 7 2019 (7 days)

September 1st 2019 - arrived on a SETV (60 days) obtained from Denmark. Extended for another 30 days at the Immigration Office (90 days total)

November 29, Travel to Vietnam for 4 days, flew back into DMK Airport yesterday (December 2) and got a 30 days visa exemption stamp. 

TOTAL OF DAYS OF STAY SINCE JULY 2018: 149 days (entry 1 and entry 2 are now more than 1 year old, so 128 days of stay in the past 365 days)

I think you don't have to worry. From what I can tell from your post you have stayed in Thailand for 74 days. I had stayed in Thailand 90 days in a row when I got my new stamp yesterday.

Immigration has an unofficial rule that you should stay in Thailand no longer than a total of 180 days out of 365 days. You have only 74 days according to your first post. Don't worry. 

Maybe if you go and extend your next 30 days and go out and want 30 days more they will start asking questions but I really think you should be fine! Don't let the thoughts ruin your vacation to Vietnam.

If everything goes terribly wrong you take buy a cheap airplane ticket to Laos and cross the Thai border by land which is 99% success guaranteed for a stamp according to people here on this forum. 

Good luck, even though I am pretty sure you won't need it. 

It would be nice to hear how it all went once you get back into Thailand! 

Edited by PhilipL

8 hours ago, Andrew567 said:

You don't need to carry less cash. But in case you are asked to show cash, just don't show all of it and keep the remainder separately.

Also, as said by others, have a flight out within 30 days. Do you stay at a hotel? Ideally have a booking confirmation starting from the day you arrive, matching the place you write down on your arrival card.

Having all that should help in case you are questioned. With your relatively harmless history, I don't think you will be denied entry.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Caldera said:

You don't need to carry less cash. But in case you are asked to show cash, just don't show all of it and keep the remainder separately.

I second that. Have an envelope with 20.000-22.000 baht inside in case you will be asked to show the money and hide the rest.

No need to show all that you have, perhaps it will only make the questioning IO become hungry for shopping. 

Edited by PhilipL
  • Like 1

You should be fine. Cash, your spot on, it's only 6k AUD holiday money.

So what, your taking a break from work having 6 month holiday. You can get asked a few questions. So what. It is their job to ask. 

Working in Thailand carrying 120 THB. Ha! Go meet a few teachers!

Don't worry too much. There's millions of arrivals and their certainly not sending 1,000's back.

Relax

• Like 1