BANGKOK
KhunBENQ

Getting rid of Non O-A (specific case)

Have read through some 100+ posts but still uncertain.

I have a German mate who lives in Jomtien (Pattaya).
He entered in 2010 with a Non O-A visa (doing almost two years on that).
Since 2012 he did one year extensions based on retirement.
He uses the combination method (some 2xx,xxx on account plus pension from multiple sources to have 800k+).
As a German he gets the income letter from the consulate in Pattaya.
His extension is due 16 Jan 2020.

He has an expensive health insurance with comprehensive coverage from a foreign insurance company (don't know exact details).
It's obvious that he will be harassed to additionally sign for this Thai health insurance.
A facet: he is married to a Thai woman, but not living at same place together (she is in Bangkok).
Just seeing from time to time.

Now:
What is your proposal to get rid of the Non O-A the >easiest< way.

He could leave the country without re-entry permit and apply for Non O based on retirement in Vientiane or Savannakhet.
Both require proof of financials.
Do they accept combination of Thai bank deposit plus pension statement?

What about just doing a border run and come back with 30 day visa exempt and then doing the conversion route(?) to Non O status?

Doing anything based on marriage seems no good idea as he could not do an extension based on that.

Any ideas?

Edited by KhunBENQ

A non-o visa can be applied for using the combination option.

Vientiane, wants a police clearance and medical certificate.

Savannakhet is only wants financial proof. If only money in the bank they want proof of retirement which the proof of income from his embassy would take care of.

He could do a border hop for visa exempt entry and apply for the non immigrant visa at immigration. The problem with doing it for some will be them wanting proof the money in the bank came from abroad.

Requirments are here: https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

He could get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage and use it to apply for the extension based upon retirement. His wife does not need to be with him to get one. Just copies of her house book registry and ID card signed by her.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He could get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage and use it to apply for the extension based upon retirement. His wife does not need to be with him to get one. Just copies of her house book registry and ID card signed by her.

This sounds interesting. So visa based on marriage and still extension in Thailand based on retirement.
But you write "wife DOES NEED to be with him" to Laos?

Would be possible but she would need leave from work.

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

This sounds interesting. So visa based on marriage and still extension in Thailand based on retirement.

Would be possible but she would need leave from work.

He meant to write "doesn't need to be with him".

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Proofreading error. Now does not need.

• Thanks 1

I thought health insurance was only required for new O-A retirement applications from one own country.

Not for existing O-A extensions 

3 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

I thought health insurance was only required for new O-A retirement applications from one own country.

Many posts in the forum speak against.

At least certain immigration offices seem to insist for all people who entered the country with a Non O-A visa independent of the issue/arrival date.

It is against common sense but it's Thailand.

I advised my mate to check back with Jomtien immigration.

I already gave him a list for a visa run to Vientiane or Savannakhet (preferred).

5 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Sorry, a Retirement Extension based on a Non-Imm O-A entry (permission to Stay) also requires insurance.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

I advised my mate to check back with Jomtien immigration.

Notices advising on the requirement were still prominently displayed yesterday, (3rd).

Just now, jacko45k said:

Notices advising on the requirement were still prominently displayed yesterday, (3rd).

You mean saying that all Non O-A holders need this Thai insurance?

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

You mean saying that all Non O-A holders need this Thai insurance?

No, all those applying for a Retirement Extension, on an O-A Permission to Stay require insurance. 

• Thanks 1

So he will need a new visa to get around this and I will tell him to do in Laos.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

So he will need a new visa to get around this and I will tell him to do in Laos.

A person could change to a marriage extension too. 

4 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Since Oct 31, 2019 when applying for a new OA Visa in your home-country, you need to meet the health-insurance requirement.

Entering/re-entering Thailand with a pre Oct 31 issued OA Visa of which the Visa validity date has not expired yet, will not require health-insurance.

Entering/re-entering Thailand with a re-entry permit for a non-expired permission to stay based on a pre Oct 31 issued OA Visa will not require health-insurance.

Applying for an extension of stay for reason of RETIREMENT based on an OA - retirement Visa (irrespective when issued) will require health-insurance.

Note: The required health-insurance should be thai-approved to be proved by a Certificate (issued by the insurance company) that it complies with the IO requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1