BANGKOK
KhunBENQ

Getting rid of Non O-A (specific case)

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think insurance is required for for extensions of stay. But there some immigration offices that are saying it rs required. 

We are still waiting for there to be a official clarification from the immigration bureau.

It has been clarified it is only required when entering the country with OA visa issued after on or after October 361st. 

Thank you. Feels a bit better. No posters either who had experiences lately. Seems at Aetna OPD cost me an extra >30K baht per year. Rediculous for 40K coverage, even being 71.

I've held an O-A extension based on retirement for many years but I am also married to a Thai. My local immigration has agreed to convert my O-A to an O based on marriage without having to leave the country, using an agent to do this it will cost about THB 15,000 (not the 9,000 I mentioned some time ago). For me that's worthwhile because it saves travel out of Thailand, hotels etc and any associated hassles, all I have to do is give all the paperwork to the agent and then sit back and wait. Perhaps younger guys can manage the cheaper route and do it all themselves, me, I'm happy with this outcome.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saengd said:

My local immigration has agreed to convert my O-A to an O based on marriage without having to leave the country

Please clarify, your local Immigration Office has agreed to convert your Non O-A (on which you currently have an extension based on retirement) to a NON O based on marriage?  If they have agreed to do this for you then why are you going to use an agent?  ...or did your local office recommend an agent to you to be able accomplish this? 

I am just curious because I am in the same boat (O-A) and plan on moving to an O based on marriage also.  My local office said that I MUST leave the country and then start the O based on marriage process.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, saengd said:

I've held an O-A extension based on retirement for many years but I am also married to a Thai. My local immigration has agreed to convert my O-A to an O based on marriage without having to leave the country, using an agent to do this it will cost about THB 15,000 (not the 9,000 I mentioned some time ago).

You will only be changing the reason for your extension. You will still have the original OA visa entry that you have been extending based upon retirement.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will only be changing the reason for your extension. You will still have the original OA visa entry that you have been extending based upon retirement.

No, I am actually getting a 30 day non-O without leaving Thailand, this will then be extended for one year based on marriage. 

To answer the earlier poster: I have no contacts at Immi. but the agent does, they took my passport to their contact who I presume looked at it and made a decision to allow the change, the total cost is broadly split between the agent and Immi..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, saengd said:

To answer the earlier poster: I have no contacts at Immi. but the agent does, they took my passport to their contact who I presume looked at it and made a decision to allow the change, the total cost is broadly split between the agent and Immi..

I see, thank you for replying!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, saengd said:

No, I am actually getting a 30 day non-O without leaving Thailand, this will then be extended for one year based on marriage.

I would be interested in seeing that 30 day non-o visa entry stamp. Non immigrant visas allow a 90 entry.

There is no procedure for doing it at immigration that I am aware of.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I would be interested in seeing that 30 day non-o visa entry stamp. Non immigrant visas allow a 90 entry.

There is no procedure for doing it at immigration that I am aware of.

I'm sorry I was wrong, what I'm told is that I will get "a one month stamp for investigation, followed by an eleven months". Assuming everything goes smoothly I should have this by next week and I will happily either post or PM you with a copy of what I get. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Are you wanting to change to marriage ext. before your O-A ext. is due?

Yes, but preferably without leaving Thailand.

6 minutes ago, saengd said:

I'm sorry I was wrong, what I'm told is that I will get "a one month stamp for investigation, followed by an eleven months". Assuming everything goes smoothly I should have this by next week and I will happily either post or PM you with a copy of what I get. 

That will be the standard 30 day under consideration stamp that is done for extension based upon marriage. Then at end of the 30 days you will get the one year extension stamp.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

That will be the standard 30 day under consideration stamp that is done for extension based upon marriage. Then at end of the 30 days you will get the one year extension stamp.

Yes, but the point is it's being done in country and without first having to leave to cancel the existing O-A extension.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saengd said:

I've held an O-A extension based on retirement for many years but I am also married to a Thai. My local immigration has agreed to convert my O-A to an O based on marriage without having to leave the country, using an agent to do this it will cost about THB 15,000 (not the 9,000 I mentioned some time ago). For me that's worthwhile because it saves travel out of Thailand, hotels etc and any associated hassles, all I have to do is give all the paperwork to the agent and then sit back and wait. Perhaps younger guys can manage the cheaper route and do it all themselves, me, I'm happy with this outcome.

I doubt he is converting an O-A to an O without leaving the country. More likely, simply changing to a marriage Extension, which does not require insurance.

If what you say is true, I worry your passport is traveling without you!

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Yes, but the point is it's being done in country and without first having to leave to cancel the existing O-A extension.

Actually the point, as I see it, is more like your local immigration office is happy for you to switch from retirement to marriage as your reason for future extensions of stay based on your original OA visa without the need for TGIA-approved longstay health insurance cover.

Which office are we talking about here, please?

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I doubt he is converting an O-A to an O without leaving the country. More likely, simply changing to a marriage Extension, which does not require insurance.

I can only say this so many times....from the agent:

"immigration officer have answered positively to your request to switch your current visa to a non O Marriage one".