BANGKOK
KhunBENQ

Getting rid of Non O-A (specific case)

14 hours ago, saengd said:

I am told by the agent this is now a type O visa extension but I don't have any stamp to confirm that.

I appreciate the update and feedback on this. With the above statement I am unsure how this can be assured. Does your passport still have the original O-A Visa in it, or the  transfer to a new passport, which will of course mention the original Visa type? 

The Extension Stamp itself does not usually mention the originating Visa. 

A marriage extension doesn't require insurance. 

You have achieved what was desired. Hopefully, any future reversion to an Extension based on retirement will be straightforward, better still, never needed. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, saengd said:

I am told by the agent this is now a type O visa extension but I don't have any stamp to confirm that.

They only changed the reason for your extension of stay from retirement to marriage. An extension of stay based upon marriage does not require insurance.

You original permit to stay you have extended is still from from a non-oa visa. That cannot be changed unless you leave and re-enter the country with a non-o visa.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I appreciate the update and feedback on this. With the above statement I am unsure how this can be assured. Does your passport still have the original O-A Visa in it, or the  transfer to a new passport, which will of course mention the original Visa type? 

The Extension Stamp itself does not usually mention the originating Visa. 

A marriage extension doesn't require insurance. 

You have achieved what was desired. Hopefully, any future reversion to an Extension based on retirement will be straightforward, better still, never needed. 

Sounds to me like her agent is just as confused by the terminology as are various posters on here!

But her report does appear to provide useful confirmation to Chiang Maian retirees who originally entered Thailand with a non-OA visa and are married to Thai nationals that their "friendly" local immigration office will permit them to switch from retirement to marriage as the reason for future extensions so as to avoid the insurance requirement without the need to exit Thailand for either a non-O visa within the ASEAN region or a 30-day visa exempt stamp + non-O conversion. 

• Like 2

My mate just sent me a photo of his new extension based on retirement.

Applied last week, picked up today.

Extension expires in Jan 2021.

His "insurance" expires in Dec 2020.

"insurance": as written he went through some agent and I don't want to go into details publicly.

Case closed for him for another year.

Forgot to point to the fact that the procedure does not include any change of visa status (from Non O-A).