Jump to content
BANGKOK
sambum

A new era?

Recommended Posts

Cart full of groceries. The cashier pointed to a sign that said "no bag day."

 

To which I replied..... "I also have a rule, - no money day."

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as they will charge Thais money for each new grocery bag than out of nowhere they will become best bag recyclers in the world !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

As much as I am all for no plastic bags, we don't breath it in, so I would be extremely happen when I read a headline saying, no more burning, or life in prison, that's because the smoke season is about to begin, and I don't appreciate breathing in the smoke, yes, yes, I know I have choices, plan B & C are in place, but one can hope, but I won't hold my breath 🙂

 

I'm guessing that holding your breath thing was plan D ?  If so, you are right in discarding that plan D; didn't work for me. 😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plastic is used in nearly everything today. Vehicles, computers, cooking appliances, food packages, drinks, etc... the list is inexhaustible yet we are supposed to believe that banning plastic shopping bags is going to make the difference. The Facts don't add up!

Stop drinking the Koolaid!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 10:41 AM, 4MyEgo said:

As much as I am all for no plastic bags, we don't breath it in, so I would be extremely happen when I read a headline saying, no more burning, or life in prison, that's because the smoke season is about to begin, and I don't appreciate breathing in the smoke, yes, yes, I know I have choices, plan B & C are in place, but one can hope, but I won't hold my breath 🙂

 

Wrong! Micro particles are breathed in and digested. They found those even in the most isolated areas of the planet. Pyrenees etc, miles from houses and people. It doesn't degrade quickly - and local morons love to burn it, releasing /dioxin, one of the strongest poisons known to man

b

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kf6vci said:

Wrong! Micro particles are breathed in and digested

So what? Do you have some evidence that this is in some way a problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sstuff3 said:

Plastic is used in nearly everything today. Vehicles, computers, cooking appliances, food packages, drinks, etc... the list is inexhaustible yet we are supposed to believe that banning plastic shopping bags is going to make the difference. The Facts don't add up!

Stop drinking the Koolaid!

I think that the area of concern is the amount of plastic that ends up in the sea, or in garbage dumps where it can cause water to run off into the surrounding areas and end up polluting the very soil where crops are grown.

Of course plastic is used in many things today, but I don't think that the plastic from obsolete computers or vehicle car seat covers is the problem!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 7:10 PM, scoutman360 said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Every week I get into a rant with the 7-11 staff who always try to double-bag my groceries.  Most recently the young angel wouldn't listen so I took the bag out of her hands and shook it up and down. She pointed to a small hole at the bottom, and I shook it up and down again to show that the small hole stayed that way. It didn't stop  until an older staff member came up and bopped her on the head (jokingly) and explained why.

why wouldn't you just bring your own bag?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have every confidence major shops (7eleven, Tesco) will contibue the war on plastic and smaller shops will follow suit.

 

If for no other reason than it saves money. Why give a plastic bag to a customer if everyone else isn't?

 

I bet the big hitters are rubbing their hands in delight at the millions they will save.

 

Ultimately it is good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, sambum said:

However, I think that one problem will arise when people get hit by a sudden downpour, and their paper bags disintegrate and dump their shopping over the road/pavement. (OK - before someone gets in first -  get a a canvas bag!)

 

I grew up in a generation that didn't have plastic bags. Paper worked just fine. No handles on the bags, we carried them with both hands. I don't recall anyone complaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw some recent documentaries on TV saying that plastic is now in everything seafood we eat. We are ingesting it.

 

I also saw another TV show saying that 80% of the recycled items we segregate every week for trash pickup (in the U.S.) is not recycled. It is sold overseas by distributors who eventually dump it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

 

I grew up in a generation that didn't have plastic bags. Paper worked just fine. No handles on the bags, we carried them with both hands. I don't recall anyone complaining.

Bit difficult to carry a bag with no handles on a motor bike - which is probably the most used form of transport in Thailand!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sambum said:

Bit difficult to carry a bag with no handles on a motor bike - which is probably the most used form of transport in Thailand!

The space. under  the seat works quite well for this. Or get a back rack for your bags like everyone else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>80% of the recycled items we segregate every week for trash pickup (in the U.S.) is not recycled. It is sold overseas by distributors who eventually dump it.

 

Its true, almost all plastic that we put in recycling boxes is burnt, dumped or disappears. Little is recycled. 


It is much better to incinerate this and turn it into electricity but that's not trendy or nice - which is what much of the environmental fraud industry goes on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...