Bicycle to the top of Doi Suthep on a Songthaew?

WaveHunter

I have been riding my mountain bike up Doi Suthep to ride down mountain bike trails but wonder if a Songthaew is a reasonable (and economical) option to get to the top.  Anyone else do this?  Just wonder if Songthaews will take a bike up, what I should expect to pay, and, I assume they would put the bike on the roof, so concerned if your bike gets scratched up a lot.

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Just wonder if Songthaews will take a bike up, what I should expect to pay,

600bht for the songtaw to 'San Goo' Ruins.

They usually fold up one of the seats, and you can get 4/5 bikes plus riders inside.

One of the guys parked outside the arboretum is always up for it.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

600bht for the songtaw to 'San Goo' Ruins.

They usually fold up one of the seats, and you can get 4/5 bikes plus riders inside.

One of the guys parked outside the arboretum is always up for it.

600 bahts?  For one bike, are you pretty sure?  What is it if you're just riding up without a bike?  Never used Songthaews in Chiang Mai before but in Pattaya for a ride (no bike) they're just 10 baht anywhere in town; 20 baht to adjoining town.

14 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

600 bahts?  For one bike, are you pretty sure?  What is it if you're just riding up without a bike?  Never used Songthaews in Chiang Mai before but in Pattaya for a ride (no bike) they're just 10 baht anywhere in town; 20 baht to adjoining town.

Songthiews charge 40 baht per person to the temple and, I think, 60 baht to the Palace. They won't leave until they have a minimum of 10 passengers so it's 400/600 baht per one way trip. If you want to go without any other bikes, I would think most songthiew drivers would allow you to put your bike on the roof and only charge you 40-60 baht additional to do that, but I have never tried that.
Songthiews are 30 baht around town.

Archived