OA Visa and eVisa application

The Thai Embassy in London processes Visa applications by UK citizens  online only. Completing this online is a nightmare. Prior enquiries seemed to establish that an OA Retirement visa, single entry only can be issued in London. That Multiple Entry must be applied for within Thailand. However the online form only provides for a Multiple Entry choice. There is a note warning that fees will not be refunded. Emails to the Thai Embassy have never been answered.

There is another conundrum with the application. One is expected to provide details of a flight booking, the airline, date of travel, and even the flight number. I refuse to make a booking until I have the Visa in my mitts.

I am also advised that a 90 day OA retirement, single entry visa is available for UK pensioners who can provide evidence of receiving a State Pension. There is no minimum payment amount needed.

Can anyone advise if the above stated requirements are factual.  The alternative is travelling to London and seeking person to person clarification.

Because of lack of required funds I have been forced to return to the UK after 14 years,  leaving behind a fully furnished bungalow, with a large garden fruit, flower and palm trees, plus my 4 faithful dogs. I do need to get back to them.

From the website of the Thai Embassy in London:

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year/Multiple entries 

• Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages

• A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months. A suggested template of medical certificate can be downloaded here for your doctor.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO is preferred) or Ireland
  • Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance coverage for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement. It is recommended that applicants buy insurance policies from the companies listed in this website, and bring a copy of insurance certificate or policy with them when travelling to Thailand.
  • Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)
  • Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

Note: 

- Please submit the originals of bank statement, criminal record check, and medical record, as well as one photocopy of each document. In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.

- The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary. 

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#7

Edited by Maestro
Added link to the source

1 hour ago, fgmr said:

Prior enquiries seemed to establish that an OA Retirement visa, single entry only can be issued in London. That Multiple Entry must be applied for within Thailand. However the online form only provides for a Multiple Entry choice. There is a note warning that fees will not be refunded. Emails to the Thai Embassy have never been answered.

The non-immigrant visa O-A is valid for multiple entries, ie an unlimited number of entries, into Thailand within one year from the issue date of the visa. On each entry, the visa holder will receive permission to stay for one year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fgmr said:

There is another conundrum with the application. One is expected to provide details of a flight booking, the airline, date of travel, and even the flight number. I refuse to make a booking until I have the Visa in my mitts.

When details of a flight booking are requested, I would instead give a "travel itinerary, subject to timely receipt of the visa" with an accompanying letter explaining the reason why I cannot supply a flight booking.

1 hour ago, fgmr said:

I am also advised that a 90 day OA retirement, single entry visa is available for UK pensioners who can provide evidence of receiving a State Pension. There is no minimum payment amount needed.

There is currently no such O-A visa.  However, there is this non-O visa that fits your description:

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

OP, you seem confused. IMO forget the OA option. You can fly to Los ve being UK pp holder. Then you have 2 easy options. Do a conversion from ve to a non o at Thai imm office or travel nearby to consulate to obtain same. 30/45 days prior to your expiry of non o apply for 12 month permission of stay. Currently I would shy away from non O-A from own country due to stupid health insurance requirements.

Would help if you already have bank acc thailand

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fgmr said:

...there is no mention at all in Thai Embassy blog about health insurance requirements. 

What blog? For visa information, you should go to the embassy's website (from which I quoted), not go to a blog.

Please keep asking questions in this thread for guidance to make sure you get the visa and, if you desire, extension of stay that is best for your needs.

6 hours ago, fgmr said:

Maestro, 

Have you accessed the London based Thai Embassy website?

Try the eVisa application? best of luck.

That's why DrJack54 advised you to fly back to Thailand Visa-Exempt, and apply for a Non Imm O Visa at your local IO.  However, you would need to have sufficient funds in a thai bank-account to apply.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fgmr said:

In the UK, Are you near Cardiff, Glasgow, Hull or Liverpool consulates? (apply in person, return by special delivery. or possibly on personal collection if info provided in advance)

Non-O using your state pension DWP pension letter, over 65 years of age.

e.g. 

https://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/non-immigrant-visa-cat-o-pensioner.php

http://www.thaiconsulscotland.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Application-Form-2019.pdf page 3.

New Visa, Send >65k THB > 1710 GBP to your Thai Bank Account, monthly.

Extend in Thailand, with Multi-re-entry permit.

19 hours ago, fgmr said:

I am also advised that a 90 day OA retirement, single entry visa is available for UK pensioners who can provide evidence of receiving a State Pension

I doubt it, an O-A is always Multiple and not 90 day. Perhaps a Non-Imm-O, based on retirement, State Pension.

23 hours ago, fgmr said:

Can anyone advise if the above stated requirements are factual.

It seems from above posts (and I agree) that this should have read O Visa, not OA. If that's correct then you're right there is no minimum amount needed and in fact, it doesn't even have to be a state pension.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you seem confused. IMO forget the OA option. You can fly to Los ve being UK pp holder. Then you have 2 easy options. Do a conversion from ve to a non o at Thai imm office or travel nearby to consulate to obtain same. 30/45 days prior to your expiry of non o apply for 12 month permission of stay. Currently I would shy away from non O-A from own country due to stupid health insurance requirements.

Would help if you already have bank acc thailand

2 options yes but only 1 is easy as the conversation option has the requirement of a foreign currency transfer of 800,000 Baht 

ED8407F8-6D45-4D94-B5CD-892BD5F98959.jpeg.a73bac92312645edec4e1aaf66635547.jpeg

Other nationalities have the option of providing income proof to make up the total but not the British as they cannot get an embassy letter. 

Some offices may not necessarily insist on 5.3, just the money.

30 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

2 options yes but only 1 is easy as the conversation option has the requirement of a foreign currency transfer of 800,000 Baht 

ED8407F8-6D45-4D94-B5CD-892BD5F98959.jpeg.a73bac92312645edec4e1aaf66635547.jpeg

Other nationalities have the option of providing income proof to make up the total but not the British as they cannot get an embassy letter. 

Some offices may not necessarily insist on 5.3, just the money.

Correct. I choose to opt for non o at Vientiane several years ago because I was concerned about proof money came from o/s. I fly in with it in folding aud. Anyway both options available. Thinking if folk can afford it best to lock away 800k in an FD account using money in bank method is best option.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Immigration has not updated their website to allow for proof of foreign transfers instead of a embassy letter. They will accept a at least one transfer for applications. But of course more is better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Treetops and Woodworker. Thanks for your response.

However having posted three letters. Made several attempts to register online with the Embassy and failing resulting in being blocked from the site. The phone when eventually answered is then left hanging. I have given up. I have a return air ticket dated 86 days after my arrival BKK. So I have no choice but to arrive with tourist visa exemption and hit a border crossing. Staying in Surin Cheong Chom is the nearest, but they will extend visa for 14 days.

Can anyone confirm whether Aranyaprathet IMO can issue a 30 day extension and do it twice.

Looking forward to replies before arriving BKK in Jan.

Edited by fgmr

4 hours ago, fgmr said:

So I have no choice but to arrive with tourist visa exemption and hit a border crossing. Staying in Surin Cheong Chom is the nearest, but they will extend visa for 14 days.

You apply for extensions at a immigration office. If in Surin you could apply for a 30 day extension of your 30 day visa exempt entry at Kap Choeng immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

If you do a border hop a Chong Chom you would get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

4 hours ago, fgmr said:

Can anyone confirm whether Aranyaprathet IMO can issue a 30 day extension and do it twice.

Any immigration office will do a 30 day extension. Same for any border crossing that would get you a new 30 day visa exempt entry.

Edit: Forgot to mention you visa problem. You could apply for a single entry tourist visa at one of the honorary consulate in the UK. Most will do it while you wait when you make an appointment to get it.

Contact info here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize/81958-Royal-Thai-Consulates-in-the-UK-and-Ireland.html

On 12/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, Maestro said:

When details of a flight booking are requested, I would instead give a "travel itinerary, subject to timely receipt of the visa" with an accompanying letter explaining the reason why I cannot supply a flight booking.

I have posted three letters to date to the Embassy in London without a reply.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You apply for extensions at a immigration office. If in Surin you could apply for a 30 day extension of your 30 day visa exempt entry at Kap Choeng immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

If you do a border hop a Chong Chom you would get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Any immigration office will do a 30 day extension. Same for any border crossing that would get you a new 30 day visa exempt entry.

Edit: Forgot to mention you visa problem. You could apply for a single entry tourist visa at one of the honorary consulate in the UK. Most will do it while you wait when you make an appointment to get it.

Contact info here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize/81958-Royal-Thai-Consulates-in-the-UK-and-Ireland.html

Thanks Ubonjoe, I do happen to have met a few people earlier this year who were refused 30 day extensions at Kap Chong and even crossing over at Chong Chom failed to provide same. A fortnight was all that was provided. I did spend 11 years doing the 90 day visits to Kap Chong with previous annual retirement visas. Hence my asking about Aranyaprathet and 30 day extension. 

Regards, and thanks again for responding.

FGMR

45 minutes ago, fgmr said:

Thanks Ubonjoe, I do happen to have met a few people earlier this year who were refused 30 day extensions at Kap Chong and even crossing over at Chong Chom failed to provide same. A fortnight was all that was provided.

I would at least try at Kap Choeng immigration for the 30 day extension.

You must of done the border hop at Chong Chom over 3 years ago when you got a 15 day entry since that rule was revoked about 3 years ago. You will get a 30 day entry there.

45 minutes ago, fgmr said:

Hence my asking about Aranyaprathet and 30 day extension. 

That crossing is the worst crossing to try and do a border hop for a new 30 day visa exempt entry.