Boom on Bangla spooks tourists as overload sees power meters explode

snoop1130

Boom on Bangla spooks tourists as overload sees power meters explode

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1575372289_1-org.jpg

Firefighters had the electrical fire put out in about 10 minutes. Photo: Patong Municipality Fire Dept

PHUKET:-- The sound of a loud explosion unsettled tourists on Bangla Rd in Patong this afternoon (Dec 3) as a power overload saw several electricity meters short out and start a small fire in one of the bars on the busy street.

The sound of the electrical explosion boomed along the road at about 2:20pm as the wires overhanging Heroes Bar and nearby power meters burst from the charge.

Firefighters were soon at the scene and had the small electrical fire out within about 10 minutes, one of the firefighters told The Phuket News.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/boom-on-bangla-spooks-tourists-as-overload-sees-power-meters-explode-73862.php#qko8jYfIqC1vTQWr.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-03

Not long back, I was in a hotel in Ubon having a fag and a Chang on the balcony at about 01:00 and I could hear a kind of sizzling noise. Then there was an almighty explosion from the power box sat up a pole about 20 yards from me.

Ye gods did I jump! Lumps of “stuff” went whistling around and one lump bashed the glass balcony doors. All the lights went out and the aircon went off. Thankfully there was no fire.

The night reception person (a young lass of about 16 or so) went out and looked up the pole, and that was the extent of their reaction.

The Mrs was in bed and said words to the effect, “My Phil, open air again, it get warm now”. Obviously not bothered that the man of her dreams could have got blown to smithereens, just that the aircon had gone off!

The hotel had emergency lighting, but not emergency aircon or fridges ????.  Warm room, warm beer, but fortunately, warm Mrs as well, so all was not lost ????

Where we lived 2 boxes would blow all the time, it did not matter rain or shine BANG! No electric for hours at a time and often 12 or more hours no electric. I got a generator (the best money I ever spent). The wife said "we don't need". Guess who was always the first to say "Generator"? Always felt a little smug when the village was in darkness and there was an oasis of light. 

58 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Where we lived 2 boxes would blow all the time, it did not matter rain or shine BANG! No electric for hours at a time and often 12 or more hours no electric. I got a generator (the best money I ever spent). The wife said "we don't need". Guess who was always the first to say "Generator"? Always felt a little smug when the village was in darkness and there was an oasis of light. 

Doesn't it make like a lot of noise? That is the reason I never bought one yet. I do have 2x UPS by now (keeps the wifi running during outages and powers LED lights + computer for quite a while). Other than that I have a few power banks running lights for 24 hours easily.

Happens quite a few times every now and then, this was a cheap fix. But smuggish indeed, often we are the only house with lights.

Archived