Nod to tax waiver on Bt1,000 handout, 'cash back'

snoop1130

Nod to tax waiver on Bt1,000 handout, 'cash back'

By THE NATION

800_9ecaaf4dca0f9c0.jpg

Spokeswoman Narumon Pinyosinwat

The Cabinet today (December 3) approved the Finance Ministry's proposed regulations to waive personal income tax on the financial privileges given to registered consumers, under the government's economic stimulus package "Eat, Shop, Spend".

This means the Bt1,000 handout and the 'cash-back' amount will not come into calculation for tax payment. The government spent a budget of Bt19 billion to fund the three phases of the campaign, spokeswoman Narumon Pinyosinwat said.

In the first two phases of the campaign, each registrant was given Bt1,000 and the 'cash back' perk while the third phase offered only cash rebate.

Lavaron Sangsnit, director-general of the Fiscal Policy Office and Finance Ministry spokesman, said recently that from the start of the campaign on September 27 to November 28, 11,761,099 people had registered under three phases with combined spending of Bt16.535 billion.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30379041

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-03

Bizzare idea. Give money to people, some of whom you've taken it from and tell them to spend it. In the UK this would probably end up paying credit card debt and thus not stimulate the economy.

Nice to know it's tax exempt though. 

Sometimes I do wonder how the Thai government has any tax revenue. I never see anyone where I stay 'working' for money...

Archived