BANGKOK
KhaoYai

Countries without Immigration on Exit

Not sure where to put this so maybe the mods will move it if necessary.

People leaving the UK are not subject to any overt immigration procedures - in other words they don't have to pass through an immigration booth when they leave.  The responsibility for checking passengers have the correct psssport/visa for their travel seems to be passed on to the airlines - although I'd guess they contact immigration if anything appears out of order.  That said, overstaying or lack of an entry visa in the first place doesn't seem to flag up any response.  I've know quite a few Thai's leave the UK after quite substantial overstays and simply walk through. I also knew a Jamaican who entered the UK illegally, had his real Jamaican passport sent to him and left on it without a problem - even though it clearly didn't contain any entry visa.

Maybe the UK doesn't care how someone entered its borders if they are leaving and I can see the point in that - waste of time. I've heard there are systems in place that flag up names of wanted criminals etc. so one would hope that aspect is covered.

Its difficult for me to comment on what other Eurpoean countries do in relation to immigration procedures for people exiting as I've mostly been to other EU member states so the procedure is quite simple. However, I don't remember any sort of immigration check on exit.

I haven't travelled that much in Asia and really can't remember - is Thailand unique in this matter?  Do the Immigration Departments of other Asian countries check your passport/immigration status when you are leaving?  Just seems a waste of time and I doubt they actually make enough on overstay fines etc. to cover the cost of the additional immigration officers required.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

There are no countries without immigration on exit. Some you see, some you feel and some are almost invisible, but they are always there and they exists.

Slightly big brotherly and I think - a little OTT. I believe that in the UK all that is done is that passenger manifests are checked for persons of interest. If they were looking for or interested in people who have simply entered illegally, the UK authorities would have an exit system much the same as Thailand's where a physical check is made.  I also suspect that when your passport is scanned at check in, the airline's computer is not the only device cross referencing databases.

Although I've left the UK on many occasions, I had never really taken not of the fact that there is no physical exit check. What got me thinking about this was a family I knew who had been living in the UK illegally for almost 20 years.  I had no idea they were illegals - their 3 kids were all born in the UK. The kids father told me of the family's situation just a week before they left. He was convinced they would be stopped as they left and promised to call me to let me know how things went.  Apparently they just walked through and boarded their flight.

It got me thinking - how many other countries employ such a policy?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Slightly big brotherly and I think - a little OTT. I believe that in the UK all that is done is that passenger manifests are checked for persons of interest. If they were looking for or interested in people who have simply entered illegally, the UK authorities would have an exit system much the same as Thailand's where a physical check is made.  I also suspect that when your passport is scanned at check in, the airline's computer is not the only device cross referencing databases.

Although I've left the UK on many occasions, I had never really taken not of the fact that there is no physical exit check. What got me thinking about this was a family I knew who had been living in the UK illegally for almost 20 years.  I had no idea they were illegals - their 3 kids were all born in the UK. The kids father told me of the family's situation just a week before they left. He was convinced they would be stopped as they left and promised to call me to let me know how things went.  Apparently they just walked through and boarded their flight.

Unless the country has financial penalties for overstay, there wouldn't be much point in doing

anything on departure anyway.

In Australia, the overstay period would be noted and a ban put in place if applicable.

If it's a slow day, they may be interviewed prior to departure but not often.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

There must be a record of leaving otherwise how does NHS or pension etc know that you left ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Completely false statement, one of the first rules of posting at TV is don't make a blanket statement

The United States for one, and the only thing invisible is them checking my baggage for weapons or explosives 

What is false? Are you stating that US no have Immigration looking up people that exits the country?

That´s a false statement. If you don´t understand that, there is no help for you.

• Like 1

The only time I was not subject to immigration on exit was a flight from the UK to Germany. I thought it was odd. I was stamped out of every other countries including Europe, the US, Mexico, South America, Africa, Middle East and Asia! 

Edited by Tayaout

5 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Completely false statement, one of the first rules of posting at TV is don't make a blanket statement

The United States for one, and the only thing invisible is them checking my baggage for weapons or explosives 

The US/DHS receives a passenger manifest of everyone flying through US airspace (even if it is not landing in the US or taking off from) -- or arriving from a ship (and the boarder with Canada - shares data on everything of importance).  Whether the immigration department uses this to indicate people have left for the purposes of immigration, I have no idea. 

Aust, Canada, USA, UK.

That is all I can remember.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tayaout said:

The only time I was not subject to immigration on exit was a flight from the UK to Germany. I thought it was odd. I was stamped out of every other countries including Europe, the US, Mexico, South America, Africa, Middle East and Asia! 

Quite a list of "every other countries," but only the US and Mexico are countries.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Canada for another