Countries without Immigration on Exit

The last time I went to Tijuana Mexico, I just walked out of the USA and into Mexico.  No USA guards, or officials.  And when I fly out of LAX to Thailand I have never showed my passport to anybody.  I go through the on boarding ex ray check line show ID and a plane ticket with that gate number on it, and off I go. 

6 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The last time I went to Tijuana Mexico, I just walked out of the USA and into Mexico.  No USA guards, or officials.  And when I fly out of LAX to Thailand I have never showed my passport to anybody.  I go through the on boarding ex ray check line show ID and a plane ticket with that gate number on it, and off I go. 

Thats the thing that never makes any sense to me.

I used to live in San Diego, so I'm very familiar with walking across the border North to South without any checks. Coming back through San Ysidro, well thats another ball of wax!

But air travel, all manifests are shared with DHS, so even though you dont get a stamp in your passport, as a US citizen, they know you have left

7 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thats the thing that never makes any sense to me.

I used to live in San Diego, so I'm very familiar with walking across the border North to South without any checks. Coming back through San Ysidro, well thats another ball of wax!

But air travel, all manifests are shared with DHS, so even though you dont get a stamp in your passport, as a US citizen, they know you have left

Yeah.  I should add that on international flights I do have to show passport at the airline check in.  But no immigration officials

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There must be a record of leaving otherwise how does NHS or pension etc know that you left ?

The entry/arrival stamp for the destination country serves as a flag the person has left (or returned to) the UK. I leave Thailand and am stamped out, I arrive UK but am not stamped in, I depart UK but am not stamped out, I arrive Thailand and am stamped in - my passport shows I left Thailand and have been somewhere but it doesn't record where, the only place I can go without needing a stamp is my home country. So when/if it becomes necessary to try and prove UK residency, the in out stamps from other countries will suffice.

3 minutes ago, oby said:

canada has for many years entered passport info provided by airlines into the police/criminal and government data banks..  i was advised it may take up to 2 years for data to be correlated to consider for fraud: ie: health insurance only allows x # days outside of country coverage, employment/unemployment insurance allows only 2 weeks vacation/year, etc 

So, that means it is still check up and immigration on exit, right? Just that you do not see it working.

12 hours ago, emptypockets said:

My ex USA gf experience in Oz was very different to what you describe and quite a harrowing process for her.  Multi entry visa cancelled on the spot and taken into detention at the airport. One day late in leaving after the second three month stay of her 12 month visa.

This was in 2002. Times may have changed but I doubt it.

If I read your post correctly, that's a bit different from a long term overstayer just

departing the country.

Your girlfriend turned up at the airport as an unlawful non-citizen.

Because she overstayed, her visa was cactus.

If she had a return ticket to the USA and was going home, it's unusual she

was placed in detention.

If however she was doing a visa bounce, and planned to come back to Oz, that's a whole

different story. She would've been placed in detention (as she had no visa) until a flight was booked

back to the US.

Assumed she wasn't there long?

Times have definitely changed from 17 years ago.

19 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Aust, Canada, USA, UK.

That is all I can remember.

Same experiences for me.  But, when I check-in, all airlines scanned my passport. So I guess airlines computers at check-in are linked to Immigration computers  in case I am a person of interest. My passport was never stamped out of those countries.

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

As far as the the UK is concerned, all the information that you could want is right here.

It saves all this wasted time and effort on pointless speculation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/exit-checks-on-passengers-leaving-the-uk/exit-checks-fact-sheet

Thank you for that - very useful. However, maybe I have caused a little confusion.  I am not saying that no checks are made, I was referring to physical checks.

If the checks referred to in that item have indeed been re-introduced and I've no reason to think they haven't - any action against 'overstayers' etc. as metioned in the item, must be taken afterwards - i.e. if they apply for a visa in the future. That must be the case because as I stated in a previous post, I've known several people leave on overstays and one family who had no visas at all.

Hopefull a similar system will be employed in Thailand at some point - removing the needless delays caused by yet another queue.

23 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

They have no idea whether you are leaving permanently or for a 2 week holiday. You are supposed to notify HMRC if you leave for more than 180 days.

Just to clarify that statement.  Of course, the information will be on their computers if they require it later. I just mean, they don't necessarily think you've emigrated if you leave the country.

8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Thank you for that - very useful. However, maybe I have caused a little confusion.  I am not saying that no checks are made, I was referring to physical checks.

If the checks referred to in that item have indeed been re-introduced and I've no reason to think they haven't - any action against 'overstayers' etc. as metioned in the item, must be taken afterwards - i.e. if they apply for a visa in the future. That must be the case because as I stated in a previous post, I've known several people leave on overstays and one family who had no visas at all.

Hopefull a similar system will be employed in Thailand at some point - removing the needless delays caused by yet another queue.

Personally I see little point in pursuing action against an over-stayer who is leaving the country anyway. What option is there? Arrest them, put then in detention and deport them.

What is achieved that they hasn't already been done by the individual themselves on the country's behalf? And they even paid for their own ticket.

On 12/4/2019 at 8:59 AM, Peterw42 said:

There must be a record of leaving otherwise how does NHS or pension etc know that you left ?

When someone phones them and dops you in.      I know someone who entered the UK on his UK passport, and left on his NZ passport. Yes there is a possibility of the two being linked but unless they have been flagged, doubtful they would know he left.  

I was looking into that myself, as if in emergency somehow my wife joined on a short term visa, and had to stay longer for XYZ reason + overstay.
Turns out that the worst penalty in Holland is only a 2 year blacklisting.

Also heard that many people overstaying leave via Spain and IO's are many times not bothered to complain or even write down the overstay.
If considering the benefits for illegal overstayers in Europe VS Thailand, TH is very very strict and quite insane with requirements too.

(For long stay visa requirement wife, for me is to earn 1650 euro after taxes, which is less than the 1930 euro a retiree has to bring in here......)

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Personally I see little point in pursuing action against an over-stayer who is leaving the country anyway. What option is there? Arrest them, put then in detention and deport them.

Precisely, which is why I believe Thailand's system is a waste of time and just another queue to join.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:59 AM, Peterw42 said:

Why would they care? The UK is not a fascist or communist totalitarian state yet. By what logic should a goverment,  using its citizens taxes monitor their movements to track them and intrude on their privacy? And  how much would  it cost? Most of Europe is a free to travel zone. Do you seriously think the NHS does not allow holidays or that senior citizens can not leave the country?

49 minutes ago, oby said:

On 12/3/2019 at 10:31 AM, Matzzon said:

There are no countries without immigration on exit. Some you see, some you feel and some are almost invisible, but they are always there and they exists.

Langsuan Man

Completely false statement, one of the first rules of posting at TV is don't make a blanket statement

The United States for one, and the only thing invisible is them checking my baggage for weapons or explosives 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<,snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

per: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-11-22/airport-secrets-from-dead-bodies-to-tsa-contraband-to-vip-lounges?srnd=businessweek-v2 (paywall, *clik stop page load after text appears to read*)

" They screen you 20 times before customs

Computers do most of the work far before you arrive—starting from the minute you book your ticket. By the time you walk through the arrivals hall, your profile has been crosschecked 20 different ways, first via a risk-assessment algorithm and then against watchlists maintained by numerous government organizations. 

<<<paste>>

pic is BKK departure level, unknown if folks in immigration pickup cage were busted on arrival/departure or in transit.  as per bloomburg news article, if immigration crosschecks you before departure i think you will be checked out at least as much before entry. IMO

866606764_thaibkkimmigrationdetentioncagetruck.jpg.138dfb158114f64b5c5a1d55d2927db3.jpg

But please!!! have you lost all your marbles??? What you are describing here is the immigration system in the US. What agency do you think checks the result from screening 20 times like you overdo it? It´s the job of the immigration. So, then they exist, but you not need to see them.

Sometimes this forum is exactly like talking to children.

Archived