Democrats accuse Trump of abusing power, obstructing impeachment probe

webfact

Democrats accuse Trump of abusing power, obstructing impeachment probe

By Patricia Zengerle and David Morgan

2019-12-03T212749Z_2_LYNXMPEFB21Y7_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-IMPEACHMENT.JPG

The 300 page Trump-Ukraine Impeachment Inquiry Report is seen after being released by the U.S. House Intelligence Committee in Washington, U.S., December 3, 2019. REUTERS/Jim Bourg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump solicited foreign interference to boost his chances of re-election next year, undermined national security and ordered an "unprecedented" campaign to obstruct Congress, Democrats said in a report on Tuesday that will form the basis of any formal impeachment charges against Trump.

In a 300-page report that alleged sweeping abuse of power, the Democratic-led House of Representatives Intelligence Committee said Trump used U.S. military aid and the prospect of a White House visit to pressure his Ukrainian counterpart to undertake probes that would benefit Trump politically.

Trump has denied any wrongdoing.

The Republican president "placed his own personal and political interests above the national interests of the United States, sought to undermine the integrity of the U.S. presidential election process, and endangered U.S. national security," the report said.

Democrats, who began the formal impeachment inquiry in September, also accused Trump of an "unprecedented" effort to obstruct the investigation, including refusing to provide documents and testimony from his top advisers, unsuccessful attempts to block career government officials from testifying and intimidation of witnesses.

"The evidence of the President’s misconduct is overwhelming, and so too is the evidence of his obstruction of Congress," it said, adding that the wrongdoing was "not an isolated occurrence."

In a news conference following the release of the report, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff described Trump as a "president who believes that he is beyond indictment, beyond impeachment, beyond any form of accountability and indeed above the law."

Trump, speaking at a wide-ranging news conference at a NATO summit in London, lashed out at Democrats in the House of Representatives who are leading the impeachment inquiry.

Trump, who is in London for a NATO summit, accused Democrats of using the impeachment process to overturn the results of the 2016 presidential election. Opinion polls show Americans are bitterly divided over whether to impeach Trump.

White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham said House Democrats had conducted a "one-sided sham process" that had failed to produce any evidence of wrongdoing by Trump.

"This report reflects nothing more than their frustrations. Chairman Schiff’s report reads like the ramblings of a basement blogger straining to prove something when there is evidence of nothing,” Grisham said in a statement.

The heart of the impeachment probe is whether Trump misused the power of his office to compel Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden, a leading contender for the Democratic nomination to face Trump in the 2020 election.

Lawmakers and the public have heard testimony from current and former officials that military aid was withheld from Ukraine and that a White House meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy was conditioned on Kiev conducting the probe, as well as one into a debunked conspiracy theory about Ukrainian interference in the 2016 U.S. election.

The House Intelligence Committee is scheduled to meet at 6 p.m. EST (2300 GMT) to vote on its findings.

The matter will then go to the House Judiciary Committee, which will open its proceedings on Wednesday.

If the full House eventually votes to approve formal impeachment charges, a trial would be held in the Republican-led U.S. Senate, where a two-thirds majority of those present would be required to convict Trump and remove him from office.

PHONE RECORDS

Much of the report drew on the public testimony of current and former government officials, who have described in televised hearings a months-long effort to pressure Ukraine to carry out the investigations sought by Trump.

But it also suggested that wrongdoing within the executive branch extended beyond Trump.

The report said many of Trump's "closest subordinates and advisors," including White House acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Energy Rick Perry, had knowledge of, and in some cases facilitated and furthered Trump's efforts and withheld information.

It also cited dozens of previously unreported phone records that laid out a pattern of contact between Trump's personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, Giuliani’s associates, the House Intelligence Committee's top Republican, Devin Nunes, and the White House's Office of Management and Budget.

The phone records were obtained from AT&T <T.N>, the report says.

An AT&T spokesman acknowledged that the telecoms giant complied with a request.

“Like all companies, we are required by law to provide information to government and law enforcement agencies," the spokesman said in a statement. "In all cases, we ensure that requests for assistance are valid and that we act in compliance with the law.”

Schiff, in his news conference, said the phone records showed there was considerable coordination among the parties, including the White House, and there might be evidence that members of Congress were complicit in illegal activity.

House Democrats appear to be contemplating at least two possible articles of impeachment tied to the Ukraine scandal: abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.

Republicans, in an advance rebuttal report released on Monday, said Democrats had not established that Trump had committed an impeachable offence.

The president and other administration officials have criticized the timing of this week's impeachment proceedings as Trump attends the summit overseas, although Democratic then-President Bill Clinton also faced impeachment during a 1998 trip to Israel.

In London, Trump complained Democrats had conducted unfair "witch hunt" hearings in which witnesses who his administration wanted to testify were not called. Senior administration officials have declined to testify in the proceedings.

"We want Biden. We want the son — where’s Hunter? We want the son," Trump said during a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Trump and other Republicans have suggested that Biden and his son, who was on the board of a Ukrainian energy company for several years, should be investigated for corruption. There is no evidence that either of the Bidens engaged in wrongdoing.

Trump also repeated his defence that his calls with Zelenskiy, including one on July 25 in which he pushed for the probe of the Bidens, were "perfect" and that the impeachment inquiry was "a hoax."

(Reporting by Richard Cowan, David Morgan, Patricia Zengerle, Jonathan Landay, Susan Cornwell, Susan Heavey, Doina Chiacu, Mark Hosenball and Heather Timmons in Washington; Additional reporting by Steve Holland in London; Writing by Paul Simao and Ginger Gibson; Editing by Jonathan Oatis and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-04

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Blah...blah...blah...pure theatre to diminish Trump's popularity with his voting base and especially independents...not going to work...Dems may lose in a historic landslide victory for Republicans in 2020.

So you are saying that he did not do any of the things he is accused of? 

A question, just in case there are any scholars in const. law here,

where is the difference/borderline between benefiting Trump politicially and benefiting POTUS/USofA?

I'd guess; strengthening candidate Trump is not OK.

Strengthening the POTUS is very OK.

Some rather fine lines here.

(bit off topic, but;

is Trump survives this I reckon he is all set to win the upcoming election,'

DEMs have front figures that don't sell that well,

Trump has proven himself as a real stayer)

35 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

A question, just in case there are any scholars in const. law here,

where is the difference/borderline between benefiting Trump politicially and benefiting POTUS/USofA?

I'd guess; strengthening candidate Trump is not OK.

Strengthening the POTUS is very OK.

Some rather fine lines here.

(bit off topic, but;

is Trump survives this I reckon he is all set to win the upcoming election,'

DEMs have front figures that don't sell that well,

Trump has proven himself as a real stayer)

There certainly is no shortage of constitutional law scholars here.

1 hour ago, HuskerDo said:

Accuse, accuse, accuse. Where does it end? I could accuse anyone here of being a wife beater or a child molester but I don't have any proof. I guess that would make me a Dem.

Or make you a clone of Trump.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Blah...blah...blah...pure theatre to diminish Trump's popularity with his voting base and especially independents...not going to work...Dems may lose in a historic landslide victory for Republicans in 2020.

Indeed. 

And that's all they have. 

Running on empty or what? ???? 

MAGA 

I am far from a Trump Lover, but i do get the sneaking feeling that all these ongoing impeachment process, moaning and groaning by the Democrats is not going to do them any favors come vote time.

Personally i would just prefer them to get on with trying to win votes, publicizing their policies on what and how they will go about being in power.

CNN for me is nearly unwatchable, they have literally been beating the same drum for 4 years, 24 hours a day. There is simply no news, no independence- literally all they, their panelists and guests do is whinge about this and that.

As a neutral, and i suspect many others it pushes me away from the Democrats rather than leading me to vote for them. (The fact that their nomination lineup is so uninspiring does not help either)

Seems to me there are some very confused posters here to watch the 2 weeks of hearings and think trump is innocent doesent make sense it’s plane as day he is guilty and with his base he is intimidating the republican Senate no more no less but on the up side he is beeing exposed for what he is for all to see common 2020!!!!

7 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

OP: "There is no evidence that either of the Bidens engaged in wrongdoing."

ROTFLMAO!!      ????????????????????????????????

Well if you have evidence you better tell the state dept because burisma was investigated after the prosecutor was fired and they came up empty.

Nothing to stop US authorities imvestigating the bidens but im not hearing it.

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

He has not done anything that would remove him from office...

So, why doesn't his VP speak out against impeachment? Why hasn't anyone else in the Executive branch been speaking out and defending POTUS? 

Why does he travel to London and keep talking impeachment if he is "teflon" . Why doesn't POTUS just drop the constant defensive behavior?

The more he obsesses with this the more he looks guilty, in my opinion

10 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

So, why doesn't his VP speak out against impeachment? Why hasn't anyone else in the Executive branch been speaking out and defending POTUS? 

Why does he travel to London and keep talking impeachment if he is "teflon" . Why doesn't POTUS just drop the constant defensive behavior?

Maybe if you watched or read any other news source other than CNN than you would of heard who spoke out and who did not ????

10 minutes ago, BestB said:

Maybe if you watched or read any other news source other than CNN than you would of heard who spoke out and who did not ????

Been watching Fox news, many "guests" and journalists defending POTUS. 

No one currently working in the executive branch of our government that i have seen, either live or on video

Several Congressmen have been on Fox defending POTUS, but none who are members of the appropriations committee or office of management and budget (OMB)

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Yadda Yadda Yadda.

If Trump wins, and he could, it will be a squeaker with the win coming through the electoral college and not popular vote. Because more people will vote against Trump than for him nationwide and that is just a fact that even FOX news admits to. Be thankful for the electoral college! Even more Republicans will lose their seats in congress, senate and local state governments, which is why they are retiring in record numbers. They have made their bed and now realize that NO they don't want to sleep in it.

30 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

The VP and others have taken the position that any response would appear to dignify an otherwise farsal Democratic show...

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I suggest you brace yourself for a rough ride for your man. The damaging impeachment hearings and low approval ratings nationally will be his Achilles heel. He is mired in low 40s and never been above 50% in Gallup polls. Women will have their day when they turn up in large numbers to voice their disgust at this sexual predator. 

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I suggest you brace yourself for a rough ride for your man. The damaging impeachment hearings and low approval ratings nationally will be his Achilles heel. He is mired in low 40s and never been above 50% in Gallup polls. Women will have their day when they turn up in large numbers to voice their disgust at this sexual predator. 

The rough ride will begin if he is voted out of office and people whose claim to fame is hating Trump run the country...

5 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

The rough ride will begin if he is voted out of office and people whose claim to fame is hating Trump run the country...

Your premonition may actually happen judging from Rep Senators nervously looking at their rear view mirror of impending disasters backing Trump and facing backlash from their constituencies. The world will sigh a collective relief and that will truly be a Merry Christmas. ????????

Link: Schiff says phone records show Nunes may have been 'complicit' in Ukraine affair

"House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff said Tuesday that phone records unearthed in the impeachment investigation raised questions about whether his Republican counterpart on the committee, Rep. Devin Nunes, might have been “complicit” in a White House plot to pressure Ukraine.

“It is, I think, deeply concerning that at a time when the president of the United States was using the power of his office to dig up dirt on a political rival that there may be evidence that there were members of Congress complicit in that activity,” said Schiff, the California Democrat who led the House impeachment inquiry investigation. "

No surprises here. The people Trump surrounds himself with are either bottom feeders to begin with or quickly turn into ones.

Archived