With no travel insurance, Canadian family struggles to bring injured father home from Thailand

webfact

With no travel insurance, B.C. family struggles to bring injured father home from Thailand

BY PAUL JOHNSON AND SEAN BOYNTON 

GLOBAL NEWS

A1.jpg

Dan Treacher, a 66-year-old Vancouver Island native, lies in hospital with a head injury he sustained at his wife's home in Thailand. Submitted by Dan Treacher family

A Nanaimo, B.C., family is living through a cautionary tale about the perils of travelling abroad without emergency medical insurance.

On Sunday, a fundraiser was held at the Lantville Pub by the family of Vancouver Island native Dan Treacher, who’s in need of an expensive medical evacuation from Thailand.

Treacher, 66, has been a regular visitor to the country since he married a Thai woman a few years ago. But in September, he fell off a ladder at his wife’s house and ended up with a critical head injury.

An initial brain operation saved his life, but complications have kept him in the hospital.

“He is fighting for his life and wants to come home,” Treacher’s daughter Lisa Robson said.

Full story: https://globalnews.ca/news/6241994/injured-in-thailand-no-insurance/

-- Global News 2019-12-04

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad news, hope he recovers, but I cannot understand people that skimp out on health insurance and or travel insurance. From my calculations, it costs between 2-3 beers a day for someone that age, and yes I understand some can't get it because of their age and pre-existing conditions, but @ 66, come on, at least self insure, and at that age, if you haven't got money, you should stay in your home country as opposed to being a burden to others, harsh words, yes, but Thailand owes us nothing and we shouldn't be a burden on Thailand. No doubt I will cop some slack here for my open opinion, but it is what it is, the truth, he is now a financial burden to his family on both sides of the fence.

I would hate for something to happen to me which would make me a financial burden on my family, either side of the fence, so I take out medical insurance and travel insurance when I travel, sure it costs, but the burden is on me.

i will not cop any slack for your opinion at all.

I do hope beyond the story the thought about insurance, even his home country that is about 250 CND. but hazardous pursuits such as this guy was doing would not be covered.

biggest soz to all concerned. hope recover canuck.   

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sad news, no doubt a GoFundme page will be set up if it already hasn't, harsh words but I cannot understand people that skimp out on health insurance and or travel insurance. From my calculations, it costs between 2-3 beers a day for someone that age, and yes I understand some can't get it because of their age and pre-existing conditions, but @ 66, come on, at least self insure, and at that age, if you haven't got money, you should stay in your home country as opposed to being a burden to others, like I said, harsh words, but Thailand owes us nothing and we shouldn't be a burden on Thailand. No doubt I will cop some slack here for my opinion, it but it is what it is, a burden to his family on both sides of the fence.

I am all for Thailand making it mandatory for tourists and xpats to have medical insurance, although it would have to set up some kind of insurance fund like Medicare for Xpats or have insurance providers cover the older ones who others won't touch, like I said, we should not be a burden on Thailand

One can get "accident insurance" at the local bank for less than 2000 Bt..

56 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sad news, hope he recovers, but I cannot understand people that skimp out on health insurance and or travel insurance. From my calculations, it costs between 2-3 beers a day for someone that age, and yes I understand some can't get it because of their age and pre-existing conditions, but @ 66, come on, at least self insure, and at that age, if you haven't got money, you should stay in your home country as opposed to being a burden to others, harsh words, yes, but Thailand owes us nothing and we shouldn't be a burden on Thailand. No doubt I will cop some slack here for my open opinion, but it is what it is, the truth, he is now a financial burden to his family on both sides of the fence.

I would hate for something to happen to me which would make me a financial burden on my family, either side of the fence, so I take out medical insurance and travel insurance when I travel, sure it costs, but the burden is on me.

I BELIEVE that you're way off on the 2-3 beers per day cost of insurance.  And at that age, when I lived in Thailand, it simply was not available, at least through Thai providers, and the farang provider options that were available were simply out of reach of most farangs living in Thailand. 

I certainly hope this man recovers and is able to lead a productive life afterwards. However, I am somewhat tired of the stories on this forum that make health insurance the 'panacea' for all of the problems we can encounter by illness or accident. In the case of a very serious illness or injury, insurance will only delay the inevitable - that an individual will deplete his/her life savings and live in poverty thereafter.  At least Canada treats its citizens better than most in having a good medical insurance for all of its people.  For those of us who have supported our own country's medical schemes through taxes, the obvious answer is to extend this coverage to us outside the country as well.

1 hour ago, jastheace said:

I do hope beyond the story the thought about insurance, even his home country that is about 250 CND. but hazardous pursuits such as this guy was doing would not be covered.

I wouldn't really describe falling off a ladder as a hazardous pursuit?

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

wouldn't really describe falling off a ladder as a hazardous pursuit?

True. Riding a motor bike; crossing a road; talking to a ladyboy; being a Russian with a child; those are more hazardous if you live in Pattaya.

I get 6 months insurance their Square Mouth insurance company and its $200 American.Its travel insurance but it works.i sometimes get 2 months at a time and it's $60 for 2 months.

this guy needed to fork out 2000 baht for 2 months

I'm thinking that it's high time travel insurance should be worldwide mandated and a must with every ticket purchased just like half a dozen of surcharges we pay when we buy an airline ticket so should be a bare minimum insurance policy to insure minimum coverage, with the provisions to increase the cover to suits individuals, this way billions will be saved not to mention griff and heartaches will saved to all concerns, be it governments or individuals...

For those talking about insurance in Thailand....I am 73 so I am well aware of cost of a thai insurance co for HEALTH insurance, thus I maintain my US insurer for my health insurance needs if I to need it and have been informed that in 2020 for their clients overseas, there is no deductible!  but as mentioned by several, ACCIDENT insurance (which I also have here in Thailand with a Thai agency - Muang Thai Insurance co. and at 73 it costs me 3400 baht per year.  This covers ANY ACCIDENT, not for health insurance.  But, it is not that much more expensive to add a 100,000 or more to the basic coverage which I think mine is either 300 or 400 thousand at my age, younger people can get the accident insurance for even less!  The hospitals for coverage (that accept it) are the top hospitals in Chiang Mai - we usually use Bangkok Hospital because of location.  The coverage for any accident my family has had (bitten by cat so rabies series after cleaning etc at hospital), broken finger, broken toe, back sprain with muscle spasms and all treatment was paid for by the insurance with absolutely no problem or delay.  All should at least have this insurance!

7 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I'm thinking that it's high time travel insurance should be worldwide mandated and a must with every ticket purchased just like half a dozen of surcharges we pay when we buy an airline ticket so should be a bare minimum insurance policy to insure minimum coverage, with the provisions to increase the cover to suits individuals, this way billions will be saved not to mention griff and heartaches will saved to all concerns, be it governments or individuals...

Exactly.........

I never travel without it.

Trip back there cost me AUD$220.00 for both myself and my wife combined. 

I consider that to be an excellent investment.

It seems to be getting cheaper in fact as I can remember paying much more previously with the same insurance company for the same cover.

Oh...and I am just short of 69.

1 hour ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Perhaps you can educate us.

"One can get "accident insurance" at the local bank for less than 2000 Bt."

In this particular case not sure how long his stay was in Thailand being married to a Thai women but not being an expert I'm not sure Travel insurance can be purchased for long periods?

Yes, you can get " accident insurance "  at local banks but they don't cover much nor if you go to an insurance broker.  For example: AXA which is a large insurance local company one can get a policy for accident for something that happened in this story for 3-5,000 depending on coverage but even then it isn't going to cover what has happened to him. I have one 4500 baht a year one of the highest coverage just for accident but it doesn't replace long term medical care which is what is happening here.

Staring this year due to the high premiums for my age I've started to self fund but always have an eye out for something.

Insurance here is really a mine field,  you really have no rights, as for medical policy they come up with all these exclusion and if you are still decide to purchase and read the fine print and do the critical thinking it isn't going to be covered? Years ago applying for a policy I was honest and disclosed I had a bit of cholestrerol the fine print was they weren't going to cover pretty much half my body if I had a stroke not covered? 

Even with a accident policy they will try to find a way not to cover it the amount is high I had a friend who had a policy he was riding his bicycle denied the insurance consider it a " dangerous sports ". 

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

One can get "accident insurance" at the local bank for less than 2000 Bt..

The coverage offered by banks is normally not sufficient for a lengthy stay in Intensive Care; or a catastrophic event such as a heart attack, stroke, or major surgery (open heart, etc).

Sad news and hope he survives this .

but....This is the main reason why the Thai Govt is cracking down on retirees. Unpaid hospital bills. 
thai hospitals are not heartless and will treat Without checking , esp farangs, who they consider “ rich “

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

...but @ 66, come on, at least self insure...

The concept of 'self insuring' is misleading. In reality it means being prepared to pay your entire medical bill from your savings as this family has discovered.

Medical repatriation is so massively expensive only the really wealthy could afford to 'self insure'. Giving 'taking a huge risk' a silly name like 'self insure' makes it sound like a well thought out strategy.

34 minutes ago, Presnock said:

For those talking about insurance in Thailand....I am 73 so I am well aware of cost of a thai insurance co for HEALTH insurance, thus I maintain my US insurer for my health insurance needs if I to need it and have been informed that in 2020 for their clients overseas, there is no deductible!  but as mentioned by several, ACCIDENT insurance (which I also have here in Thailand with a Thai agency - Muang Thai Insurance co. and at 73 it costs me 3400 baht per year.  This covers ANY ACCIDENT, not for health insurance.  But, it is not that much more expensive to add a 100,000 or more to the basic coverage which I think mine is either 300 or 400 thousand at my age, younger people can get the accident insurance for even less!  The hospitals for coverage (that accept it) are the top hospitals in Chiang Mai - we usually use Bangkok Hospital because of location.  The coverage for any accident my family has had (bitten by cat so rabies series after cleaning etc at hospital), broken finger, broken toe, back sprain with muscle spasms and all treatment was paid for by the insurance with absolutely no problem or delay.  All should at least have this insurance!

thank you for sharing a positive experience ????

18 minutes ago, Wavel said:

If the unfortunate gentleman paid for his travel here by credit card. Then surely the credit card company has insurance built in.

Need to check the fine print carefully. Some are only USD 500k which may not be sufficient for his hospital bill and medical repatriation. Some are limited by length of stay or require you to activate the insurance.

1 hour ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Perhaps you can educate us.

"One can get "accident insurance" at the local bank for less than 2000 Bt."

Accident insurance is not the same as health insurance.  I have accident insurance for around that price which covers up to 1 mill.

The Thai health insurance being forced on O-A visas is a joke.  In-patient coverage of 40K baht!

56 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I wouldn't really describe falling off a ladder as a hazardous pursuit?

When you get into your 50s you stop climbing ladders and hope you have a few bills

to pay the teenager next door to clear gutters / shovel snow. Some are too cheap or complain kids won't work anymore.. One I know broke his collar bone another never worked again. Hazardous pursuit for old farungs, climbing ladders!

2 hours ago, jastheace said:

I am a 74 year old Canadian and I spend my winters in Thailand, I don't know were you get a 250 CND insurance, try $2k, would be a lot closer figure. I checked last year in Pattaya with one company and they wouldn't insure over 65 years old.  Even though, in my case, I have an emergency fund at the bank back home for stuff like that, what is your solution?  I forgot to mention that I am in pretty good health but like everybody else, I am not immune to accident.

Archived