BANGKOK
webfact

With no travel insurance, Canadian family struggles to bring injured father home from Thailand

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

Peoples choice on what they do re insurance. Then again insurance companies always look at ways not to pay. So its all about luck. I hope their luck gets better.

I get insurance but I'm paranoid about said companies paying , finding some excuse not to pay like being in a motorcycle accident as a pillion passenger and the excuse is you don't have a motorcycle license to ride the bike.5😃😃

• Like 1

All the best for speedy recovery but a good lesson to all you i am self insured people. When something serious happens you burn through your money faster than you can count. And in such situations one may not be in position to make decisions.

getting back to home country for free treatment as proven may not be an option either. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Medical repatriation is so massively expensive only the really wealthy could afford to 'self insure'. Giving 'taking a huge risk' a silly name like 'self insure' makes it sound like a well thought out strategy.

As silly as the name sounds, I am sure there are those who cannot get insurance for whatever reasons, age, pre-existing conditions, etc etc, hence the reason self insuring can be a well thought out strategy, but that is when all their options are out the window, hence drawing on their funds/reserves, i.e. provided they have them in the first place.

I would NEVER suggest self insure in the way some do, i.e. don't pay the medical insurance cover required per annum to put that money aside for a rainy day, the maths doesn't work in their favor if they do it that way, suffice to say, I have thought about it as my family's health care cover is 110,000 baht per year or 0.22% or around 50,000,000 baht in total cover offered, and will the premium will increase this coming year and probably ever year thereafter, but it is not an option to self insure, even though I have reserves, therefore I pay/bite the bullet, and in the event of an emergency or scheduled surgery for me or any member of my family, the burden will be on the insurance company, hence the reason I pay for cover, that said, if the insurer didn't cough up, then I would dip into my reserves and then take the necessary legal action to recover the money due from the insurance company. 

As the saying goes, why does an Irishman wear two condoms ?

To be sure, to be sure 🙂

• Like 1

Sad news hope he can get it sorted. is a fact my friend from Canada had a bad motorbike crash the Canadian government paid for his hospital expenses including out patients . he told me he was covered in the event of accidents by the government . they also paid me for taking him back and forth every day for dressing change. mabey is only certain provinces that do this . wish him best of luck to recover       

2 hours ago, jastheace said:

but hazardous pursuits such as this guy was doing would not be covered.

Climbing a ladder a hazardous pursuit??????

2 hours ago, friendphil said:

I BELIEVE that you're way off on the 2-3 beers per day cost of insurance.  And at that age, when I lived in Thailand, it simply was not available, at least through Thai providers, and the farang provider options that were available were simply out of reach of most farangs living in Thailand. 

A friend, 65 years old,  paid just under CAD$800 for 171 days for Canadian emergency medical insurance, with CAD$5,000 deductible, coverage CAD$10,000,000. CAD is about 22.7 baht. Doing the math, 800/171= 4.67; CAD$4.67 x 22.7 = 106 baht; Cheapest bottled beer  in a Pattaya bar is 45b. So the insurance costs about 2.4 beer per day.

There will probably be rate difference between 65 and 66 years old, but not much.

Edited by Banana7

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Climbing a ladder a hazardous pursuit??????

riding a motorbike in Thailand very hazardous 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sad news, hope he recovers, but I cannot understand people that skimp out on health insurance and or travel insurance. From my calculations, it costs between 2-3 beers a day for someone that age, and yes I understand some can't get it because of their age and pre-existing conditions, but @ 66, come on, at least self insure, and at that age, if you haven't got money, you should stay in your home country as opposed to being a burden to others, harsh words, yes, but Thailand owes us nothing and we shouldn't be a burden on Thailand. No doubt I will cop some slack here for my open opinion, but it is what it is, the truth, he is now a financial burden to his family on both sides of the fence.

I would hate for something to happen to me which would make me a financial burden on my family, either side of the fence, so I take out medical insurance and travel insurance when I travel, sure it costs, but the burden is on me.

U are living in a dream world 2.3 beers per day  for 6 months like £600 .700 get the figures right

Just now, PEE TEE said:

riding a motorbike in Thailand very hazardous 

This guy FELL OFF A LADDER.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wavel said:

If the unfortunate gentleman paid for his travel here by credit card. Then surely the credit card company has insurance built in.

This might be the case for the flight, if he has an accident on it. But hardely on everthing between the arrival and departure in Thailand. Some people often simply do not understand what is covered and not by their insurance.

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

This guy FELL OFF A LADDER.

was in reply to another quote that climbing a ladder hazardous ???  

7 minutes ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

U are living in a dream world 2.3 beers per day  for 6 months like £600 .700 get the figures right

Says the man that failed maths.

Calculating your above figures and then multiplying that by 2 gives you exactly the figures I was talking about, even at the lower range.

If you think I am wrong, fire at will, I will be waiting for your mathematical reply, if you dare.